How to deter deer from fruit trees

You have a knack for expressing things in an interesting mnnner.!

I agree

3 Likes

I just figured it was the typing equivalent of talking slowly.

I like venison ground. It seems to moderate most any undesirable qualities, especially texture. I feel the same way about lamb.

2 Likes

How are any of you removing the game taste from the deer? Sometimes it can be overpowering.

1 Like

Canning the meat helps a lot. When canning you can use beef bouillon to give it a beef flavor.

Not sure if you use chicken bouillon if it will taste like chicken. :wink:

1 Like

All the fat has to be trimmed. Every single speck. Aside from that, it has a taste similar to lamb that you cant eliminate. You can use recipes for goat or lamb and the spices help the flavor.

2 Likes

The 6-7 month old doeā€¦ has no real gamey tasteā€¦ very tender and taste better too.

Try beef liverā€¦ and then try calf liverā€¦ same type decrease in that stronger undesirable taste.

5 Likes

Like TNHunter says, taking young deer helps a lotā€¦especially the older bucks arenā€™t going to taste as good.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve eaten plenty of backstraps from 4 and 5 year old bucks. They were all delicious

4 Likes

I saw a guy on youtube grinding deer meat and mixing with it around 20% beef fat.

He cooked up some hamburger patties from that and they sure looked goodā€¦ he said they were good, very similar to a beef burger.

If you have a local butcherā€¦ beef fat should be quite inexpensive. You can make beef tallow from it as wellā€¦ awesome cooking fatā€¦ delicious.

2 Likes

I have had backstraps from 1.5 and older bucksā€¦ that you could grillā€¦ and they tasted good, but were tuff. Like an extra firm sirloin steak or ny strip steakā€¦ I donā€™t like my steak extra firm (tuff), difficult to chew up.

Take a backstrap from a 6-7 month old doe and slice it and grill itā€¦ always very tender and tasty.

When I grill deer meat I almost always wrap it in baconā€¦ or lay a strip of bacon on top of it while it grillsā€¦ there is just no fat in deer and got to have fat to make it really delicious. Bacon fat is like the KING of that :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never had a tough backstrap. Tough round steaks, you bet.

If a person wants to ā€œhideā€ some gameyness, the best solution Iā€™ve found is Claudes fajita marinad

Edited to add, I dont generally grill my venison. I much prefer to pan fry in a mix of butter and olive oil. Smoking hot pan, 1" thick slab of backstrap, sear on 1 side for 2 minutes while spooning butter/oil over the top, flip and sear another 2 minutes. Tent with loose tinfoil and rest for 5 minutes. Eat with gusto.
If you really want to go nuts, cook up a batch of caramelized onions, add some mushrooms, butter, and worchester sauce and top your backstrap with that mix

5 Likes

When I first started back in '08, I tried everything. The deers we have here will destroy ANY tree before it can start. I tried a number of fruit trees guerrilla style, and they all were shredded by the deer and died.

This is the only thing that works for me. I donā€™t put rocks in anymore. That was when I first started in '08 trying to make it look ā€˜Marha Stewartā€™ style. The rocks just get overtaken with grass, even with weed blocker.

I use (4) 7-foot T-posts and 16 feet of welded wire 4-foot fence per tree. I also use a trunk guard for many years until the tree is big and even after the fencing is taken down. If you have a lot of trees to do, as I did. Make a template to lay out the T-posts. Makes like a lot easier.

If you have a lot of T-posts to drive, get a power driver. Iā€™m old now and it raises hell with my wrists and have to use a wrist brace when hammering. Also pour a gallon of water on each post spot before hammering. Makes the ground softer and easier on the wrist.

tree deer fence optimum

5 Likes

pruning and picking must be a bit of a chore though , no? I understand that it beats the alternative

3 Likes

That is my favorite method too.

I have a Cabelaā€™s #12 1/2 hp DC meat grinder. Donā€™t like to use it until I get the CWD results back for obvious reasons.

When I do use it, I continually have trouble with the meat not extruding through grinder plate and sticking inside grinder head. Then of course it shuts down because of the clog and I have to clean it out. Hard on the electric motor. This is after following the directions from the operatorā€™s manual as best I can.

How do you grind yours?

2 Likes

prion diseases are scary and bizarre. A friendā€™s father died of Creutzfeldtā€“Jakob disease (CJD ) a few years back.

3 Likes

I have the same one. You have to cut the meat into really small chunks. Other than that it works great.

3 Likes

That is great advice! Iā€™ll try grinding some soon. Still have to be super particular about which meat to use without any tissue.

Problem I have now is that I tore up the stomper. Now Iā€™ll have to devise another one! I can see where it would be dangerous just using fingers.

Have you tried sausage stuffing?

2 Likes

No, but Iā€™ve done plenty of the patty sausage. Just easier. You can find spare parts for it on E-bay.

1 Like

Seeing CWD mentioned a few times makes me throw out this commentā€¦CWD has been around since the 60s. Since then zero (0) cases of it crossing to humans have been documented. I"d guess millions of tons of whitetail, mule deer, and elk have been consumed over those decades.

Thereā€™s always a first time, but I personally have many more things to worry about than getting CWD from venison

2 Likes

I guess it all has to do with eating the brain and spinal cord nerve tissues which in beef shows up in he porterhouse and tbone.
When it comes to venison we dont process or dress it like that, fortunately so its not contracted.
Sure is easily spread through snot abd saliva through commercial deer farms and feeding piles.

1 Like