How to propagate all of the fruits

I know that it would be a time consuming task for any one member to create a sort of “new user guide” with a quick description of the more popular fruits mentioned on this site (both traditional and “exotic”) and the most popular methods of propagation. For example, pawpaws are native but the standard method of propagating improved cultivars is grafting a scion onto a seedling which would need to be cold stratified, and the grafting methods which are successful are the following:… Having a thread that lists that kind of information for anyone who is new to the hobby would be extremely helpful. I am still not sure myself about certain things like the many different “cherry” tree species that exist and which are compatible for making fruit (another example). I know that by searching long enough this kind of information is usually available, but it would be awesome to have it all in one chart/ document/thread. My disclaimer for this is that I realize there are sometimes “many ways to skin a cat” but that knowing at least one way to propagate per species could be helpful. The best way may be a chart with the species on one side and numbers for each method on the other axis, or something like that.

2 Likes

People wrote a 1000-page book about that (Hartmann & Kester’s Plant Propagation), and you want to fit all that info into one thread. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That is good to know, thank you for sharing @Stan! This is the kind of thing I was hoping to accomplish, even if it is a link to another spot (or book) that has this information for people new to the hobby. If I had known about this book earlier, I would have asked Santa for it for Christmas!

Edit: Oof, that one is a bit pricey. Are there any others out there that would have a similar quality but might be better for a beginner looking to get into the hobby without a significant investment?

1 Like

Not sure about an ‘oops’ but I’d expect to pay $50, $75 or more for a good reference book…afterall, smut novels cost half that!

Hartmann and Kesters plant propagation is over 200 on Amazon, rental price is 45 I think it says… I’d be happy to pay up to 75 for a really good source but 200+ is college textbook gouging level pricing. Maybe I am missing something…

(The Manuel of) Woody Plant Propagation (author Michael Dirr) is one I’ve thought about buying. Should be cheaper…under $50 used.
And “Manual of woody landscape plants” by Michael Dirr, I gave around $60 for the 2009 edition when it was new…paperback about 1300 pages…but it may be $200 now, but probably not…I’ve not looked.

3 Likes

@Richard used to recommend this one, and if you don’t mind a used book, there are few cheap options listed: https://www.amazon.com/American-Horticultural-Society-Propagation-Plant/dp/0789441160/

4 Likes

@disc4tw
Get a older edition, Hartmann Kester ,plant propagation,
On eBay cheep .

5 Likes

Google books sell e-book version for $45. I actually prefer an electronic version since it’s searchable.

1 Like

Used copies starting at $4.99 :+1:

6 Likes

Yah,
Mine is the 1975. Third edition?
Bough new in 1979 for likely ~ $100 as a College textbook.
What I can say is the cover ( well made hard back )
Has barely held up over 40 years of frequent use.
On several rounds of duct tape , holding it together.
I bought a newer edition as a back up, have not thoroughly compared the two page by page. But I can say they are very similar, the info in my old 1975 edition , is well worth the price on eBay.! What worked then , works now, a good investment .
Best book on propagation I know of.

5 Likes

Reading through this thread… and I now have a 6th Edition hardcover of the Hartmann and Kesters Plant Propagation on it’s way to me :man_facepalming::joy:

5 Likes

It’s a good book.
Used copies ought to be cheap.

I picked up the 7th edition for about 18 bucks. See, I’m glad I started this thread! Obviously a group of you were very aware of this book and some of us were not. Knowledge is power (and better plants!), and I am happy that there are those among us willing to share.

5 Likes

The resources section does probably have all of the information that you could want for most things as well, but most of it is geared towards fruit trees and not necessarily bushes, strawberries, honeyberries etc. and that is more what I want to learn about. Grafting is its own animal, as is cuttings propagation (and knowing which species this can be used for) , runners on strawberries (or not) and any other ways of cloning, seedlings etc that can be used. As someone who recently started into these topics I am well aware that there is much more to learn than I have already absorbed, and there are a lot of very smart people on this forum alone who are happy to help teach.

2 Likes

That’s all well said.

I’ve observed though that having a bookcase full of books or 4 years of college horticulture does not always compare favorably when measured against years of experience. Getting your hands dirty, failing a few times even, will be an effective teacher. Reference books are nice; but the one I reach for most often doesn’t have a single photograph in it. Things like YouTube videos have enabled much faster, and brought more universal access to, learning.
If you don’t have a good book, there are still lots of resources for learning for anyone with the desire.

In the last century I had opportunity to supervise a couple UK horticulture graduates on the job. Give me an employee who grew a garden as a kid or raised cattle or tobacco…not the one with the degree and no experience. (Now I sound really old.)

4 Likes

I agree that experience is the best teacher. That goes for everything though. Real world experience beats a classroom hands down but some have to have the classroom experience to learn as well. Personally I do better with hands on and no classroom :+1: I am starting to sound old as well… :man_facepalming: :rofl:

1 Like

Haha that makes 2 of us! Ordered mine yesterday. I just can’t help myself.

1 Like

I want to say thanks for this book recommendation, I’m about 1/3 of the way through it and it’s giving me a great baseline to start using my greenhouse for propagation this year

1 Like