How To Store the Pears

I found some animals ate around ten pears last night. My husband picked up all the pears on the trees today. My whole family like eating pears. I want to save pears for winter.
Guys, any good ideas?
Wrap the pears with food service film and put in the refrigerator.
Is it a good idea?

4 Likes

That is how I stored my pear.
Tony

1 Like

Thanks, Tony!
Do you know how long Shin Li and KG can be stored?

If your pears are good storage pears you can put them in unperforated plastic bread bags, seal tightly with a twist tie, and hold at around 30 F until you want them. Take them out a few at a time to ripen on the counter.

Otherwise you can quarter and poach in light syrup and put up in pints and quarts. Or eat them up!

4 Likes

I keep all my old apple bags I have from the store and use them to store my fruit in. I have horses so I have the apple bags from throughout the winter months I save.

1 Like

Thank you for all good ideas.
We happen to have a big roll of food service film. I decided to use it to wrap pears. I don’t need to go to buy other stuff.

1 Like

I had never heard of wrapping them. I just put them in the crisper drawer of the fridge. Do they keep longer wrapped?

2 Likes

If you have a self defrosting fridge, as almost all are nowadays, the interior of the fridge is dry, and will eventually dry out unwrapped fruit and veggies. So anything you can do to hold moisture close to the stuff will help it stay longer.

4 Likes

I keep my pears in a humidity controlled crisper.

1 Like

Could you provide some details on what crisper? And would it work for other fruits? Does a crisper still require the bag to retain moister? Wasn’t sure if a dedicated crisper allowed for some sort of humidity / moisture control or balance.

2 Likes

Its a feature of a better quality refrigerator. I dont store many pears but those that i do keep a really long time in that type of crisper. As an example if drippin honey pears are picked slightly early in August they can keep until February or later easily. I have the humidity set to a lower setting but produce keeps twice as long that way.

4 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

@AngelOreo
Sure if you want to know more here is a link but there are others on the net explaining the process How to Use the Crisper Drawer in Your Refrigerator | Martha Stewart. Each side of my crisper holds about 5 gallons. Please read this thread on how i stored drippin honey Here comes the 2016 apple and Pear harvest! - #119 by clarkinks. I documented how long they kept and when i picked the Drippin Honey Pears. Nothing special was done beyond putting unblemished fruit in the crispers. Storing them inside a bag is kinda the same retaining the moisture just like if your rooting cuttings or storing scions but a crisper is intended for that purpose so it does it better and eliminates the bags. The bags are ingenious if you dont have crisper space available.

6 Likes

I used a small chest freezer with a temp controller on it to keep it right around 32F. I kept pears for months like that. There were some that went bad and you had to go through them once in awhile.

4 Likes

Thanks for the xtra info and link.

1 Like