Hows the garden 2019?

My best veggie garden in years. The fruit didn’t do well, though.

Snake beans.

7 Likes

Wild!

It’s looking like this year’s fall garden will be better than the summer crops. Couldn’t even get the broccoli to grow this spring, now it’s going great! ALso cauliflower, that I never even try to grow in the spring

1 Like

LOL I love that term “practical garden” I will have to borrow it. Until now I have been telling people who come to view my peony field that this is a “working farm”.

The garden was good for cool weather crops, today it is only 10C and most of August the nights were the same. We are in a colder zone but usually August is in the high 30C range with nights you couldn’t sleep unless there was a wind, but nary a hot night this year. As a result everything is at least 2 weeks behind, the melons and cucumbers were spotty and disappointing. The peas excelled, as well as the carrots, beets, and potatoes. The tomatoes are finally coming along but I will have to pick most green and let them ripen in the house or I am sure they will freeze.

My June bearing strawberries ripened the last week in July, go figure. But the raspberries were great, my gooseberries did good but I gave all the fruit to my grandson, he is 11, he wanted to make some ‘old man jam’ whatever that is LOL.

1 Like

I planted some June-bearing strawberries this spring and they are getting berries NOW! I wonder if that means they won’t get any next spring?

1 Like

Some strawberries don’t produce well until the following year, these have been in for a year or more. I am still glad I planted them.

i put in ac wendy junebearing strawberries in may . they produced a small crop in july and are growing/ spreading vigorously. i think they will produce just fine next summer. so should yours. if the main plants don’t produce much, the runners should make up for it.