Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Joe,

You should take a knife and cut a small piece of one of your JT-02 fruit to hastened the ripening process like Andrew fruit just for experimenting purposes. Right now I am enjoying my American persimmon fruits.

Tony

9 Likes

Sure I can try that

3 Likes

persimmons are late here. Mohler would be about done most years and the majority are still hanging.

4 Likes

Not my tree but my motivation for trying to grow Nikita’s Gift despite repeated failures. There’s always what could be.

11 Likes

Here is a row of 25 hybrid persimmons of Jerry Lehman 400-5 male crossed with H-118 & H-120.

Tony

18 Likes

I had the chance to taste one of my last Nikita’s Gift fruits of the season at the same time as one of my first Sestronka fruits. The texture of both is very similar - soft but not mushy, even when fully ripe and not watery. Nikita’s Gift fruit are a bit larger on average, but both cultivars are smaller than most kaki I’ve grown. I think Sestronka has the better flavor - a little more of the D. virginiana flavor while Nikita’s Gift tastes more like a kaki (though both are somewhere in between D. virginiana and D. kaki in terms of flavor). I also tasted a late Kasandra today but didn’t keep one for the photo. The Kasandra fruit is smaller on average than Sestronka and Nikita’s Gift and more like D. kaki in flavor than either of these two. I’m glad to grow them all! The tree in the pictures is Sestronka. The fruit on the left of the plate is Sestronka, with Nikita’s Gift on the right.

18 Likes

Amazing that your Nikita’s Gift is so early in your climate. They wouldn’t soften here until November. Looks like you’ve got something pollinating them.

3 Likes

Looks lovely!!!

2 Likes

Nikita’s gift

the one that is more colored was pecked by a bird

9 Likes

Mine’s going in a tree cage, otherwise a congress of crows would remove at least half of every fruit (ripe or not) in a single event.

3 Likes

A congress of crows is AKA a murder of crows… for good reason.

5 Likes

Guess I am not the only one with a crow problem. They’ve been decimating the figs.

1 Like

Y’all ought to try out dead crow mannequins.

3 Likes

I set out a persimmon tree today grown from seed in a 5 gallon container. It is most likely a 60 chromosome plant. I will graft it to something useful next spring.**

3 Likes

Yes, the large tree in the background with the swing is a male D. virginiana. I’m assuming all the hybrids I grow can be pollinated by D. virginiana because they always have seeds. All my kakis have been seedless so far, and even when Nikita’s Gift was the only hybrid I grew that flowered/fruited, it had seeds.

5 Likes

@PharmerDrewee
Around here they work ok until the crows catch on, then they congregate to a spot overlooking it and squawk about it for 10-20 minutes.

6 Likes

Does anyone one have Rosseanka? I’ve got two tiny fruits on mine for the first time. They are so small I’m betting it’s mostly seed. NG is a bust. It continues to drop the fruit every year. It’s getting grafted to Journey next year. Has anyone tried Journey?

2 Likes

I ate my first home grown Nikita’s gift today. I brought it in while still firm and let it soften inside. There are still a few out on the tree.

Big disappointment. It had no flavor at all. Hopefully that won’t always be the case. Taste and texture like the Izu given the same treatment. Also disappointing. Under-ripe, crunchy Izu was more palatable.

3 Likes

Isn’t it very early for NG? Mine doesn’t ripen until November.

Btw I picked a very soft Izu today. Was extremely good! It’s the ugly fruit on the left

3 Likes

Oh, you know, I have a backup graft of Izu on the Nikita’s Gift tree. I bet it actually was Izu. The way the branches are tied on that tree one has to be careful reading the tags and I grabbed it hastily.

Thanks @ramv . I’ll double check. Maybe I don’t have any Nikita’s Gift this year either. There are a few different varieties set on there this year. That tree is pretty runted and its fruit are small.

2 Likes