Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Thanks @jrd51 & @zendog Thank you for the details! I do have some extra space, so I think I’ll give Kassandra a try based on your thoughts. My two biggest worries are hardiness and duration of my season. If does die back, I’ll just try again. We got down well below -20 degrees this winter and I was surprised my 1 year Rosseyanka seems totally fine. Which I think is similarly hardy to Kassandra, but later ripening…

2 Likes

Yeah, Ive had Rosseyanka here too at my 5b location with no issue for ~5 years. Im not sure if Kasandra will ripen, but Im fairly convinced pure hardiness is not an issue. Ripening time is definitely a limiting factor though.

You must be nowhere near me if you got down below -20 F this winter. We didn’t even see sub-zero, a first in the nearly 20 yrs that Ive lived here.

5 Likes

Still learning about persimmons: are there any good hybrid persimmons that hang on the tree longer? I’m planning to plan some in zone 5b but in a place where I only am perhaps once a week, so having things hang on tree longer and be harvested when ripe from tree rather than from ground could be useful.

3 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, none of the hybrids drop. They must be picked from the tree.

Being in 5B limits your choices, but there are some good ones. Your best bets are JT-02 aka Mikkusu, Chuchupaka, and Dar Sofiyivki (also spelled Dar Sofievki). Mikkusu is the only one with any real commercial availability stateside right now, and even that is pretty limited. If you know how to graft, you shouldn’t have much trouble getting scion via forum trades.

2 Likes

Also, Journey is supposed to be very early, like earlier than Prok per Cliff England. Its ostensibly 25% or 12 1/2% kaki if memory serves

3 Likes

Agree with @jcguarneri. I grow JT-02 and Kasandra. Both must be harvested by cutting the stems, as with Asians. Kasandra will sometimes drop by separating at the calyx if over-ripe. I’ve had 3 crops of Kasandra, and here in Z7A they are 80-100% ripe by late Oct / early Nov. I’ve had 1 crop of JT-02 and picked it ~75% ripe in early Nov. I finished both indoors. I don’t think either one will ripen fully for you in Z5B but Kasandra is your better choice.

As Jay suggests, look at Sofie’s Gift when it is available. It is reportedly early:

4 Likes

Gift of Sofiivka is the correct name.

5 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks! I had been looking at Prairie Star (H-118), Rosseyanka, and Nikita’s Gift; would those also hybrid “don’t drop from the tree on their own” options?

2 Likes

H-118 does not fall into that category.
Straight American

1 Like

H-118 is not hybrid, as JCW mentioned. Depending on the particulars of your zone 5B (likelihood of late cold snaps, GDD, etc), Rosseyanka and NG are likely to be a bit of a gamble, from what I’ve seen of other’s experiences. JT-02 is the best tested in eastern North America zone 5 conditions, but Chuchupaka has had good reports so far. Dar Sofiyivki, I would be surprised if it doesn’t work out, based on reports from knowledgeable growers in Ukraine.

3 Likes

Ah, thank you! Still working on my spreadsheets, trying to keep everything straight…

Thank you! Read about Sofiyivky and it seems like a great candidate once availability improves (I haven’t learned to graft yet). My folks’ place (where I hope to plant) is about 90 minutes north of you, but in a favorable microclimate I think.

1 Like

there is at least one OP to American Roseyanka male at Lehman’s

1 Like

Hi all

I got some good and bad news on the hybrid persimmons trial. The good new is JT-02 still the hardiest hybrid persimmon so far. Unfortunately the Dar Sofiyviky did not make the cut at-17F at Dax’s place Z5 Illinois. I had high hopes for this one due to it beautiful to large cluster fruits. Bummer!!!

Tony

8 Likes

Wow, that’s a punch in the face.

1 Like

where is this post from?

This is an email Dax sent to me. We are doing Z5 Hybrid persimmons trial.

Tony

Thanks for sharing Tony, I was going to but you beat me to it!

Thanks, So the only survivor is JT-02? I am Z6A the lowest recorded temperature at Akron Canton airport was -25 1/19/1994. But winters were a lot harsher 30 years ago.

Jt-02 is your best bet for Z5. All my 20 Hybrids that I crossed of-118, H-120, Meader, and Prok X 400-5 Hybrid male from Jerry Lehman all survived -18,F.

Tony

3 Likes