Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Gift of Sofiivka is the correct name.

5 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks! I had been looking at Prairie Star (H-118), Rosseyanka, and Nikita’s Gift; would those also hybrid “don’t drop from the tree on their own” options?

2 Likes

H-118 does not fall into that category.
Straight American

1 Like

H-118 is not hybrid, as JCW mentioned. Depending on the particulars of your zone 5B (likelihood of late cold snaps, GDD, etc), Rosseyanka and NG are likely to be a bit of a gamble, from what I’ve seen of other’s experiences. JT-02 is the best tested in eastern North America zone 5 conditions, but Chuchupaka has had good reports so far. Dar Sofiyivki, I would be surprised if it doesn’t work out, based on reports from knowledgeable growers in Ukraine.

3 Likes

Ah, thank you! Still working on my spreadsheets, trying to keep everything straight…

Thank you! Read about Sofiyivky and it seems like a great candidate once availability improves (I haven’t learned to graft yet). My folks’ place (where I hope to plant) is about 90 minutes north of you, but in a favorable microclimate I think.

1 Like

there is at least one OP to American Roseyanka male at Lehman’s

1 Like

Hi all

I got some good and bad news on the hybrid persimmons trial. The good new is JT-02 still the hardiest hybrid persimmon so far. Unfortunately the Dar Sofiyviky did not make the cut at-17F at Dax’s place Z5 Illinois. I had high hopes for this one due to it beautiful to large cluster fruits. Bummer!!!

Tony

9 Likes

Wow, that’s a punch in the face.

1 Like

where is this post from?

This is an email Dax sent to me. We are doing Z5 Hybrid persimmons trial.

Tony

Thanks for sharing Tony, I was going to but you beat me to it!

Thanks, So the only survivor is JT-02? I am Z6A the lowest recorded temperature at Akron Canton airport was -25 1/19/1994. But winters were a lot harsher 30 years ago.

Jt-02 is your best bet for Z5. All my 20 Hybrids that I crossed of-118, H-120, Meader, and Prok X 400-5 Hybrid male from Jerry Lehman all survived -18,F.

Tony

3 Likes

How big\how many seasons was @barkslip 's Dar Sofiyivki? I’m still holding out some hope for this one. This is definitely one tick in the “no good” column, but I’m waiting to see more data points. Also, there are the rumors of the Dar Sofiyivki in circulation stateside not being the real deal. I have faith that it is, but we’re at least a couple years out from telling for sure.

1 Like

Dax Bud chips most of his hybrids in late Fall and grew them in his green house over winter with light and planted them in the Spring with tree tubes. So his Dar Sofiyviky probably 1.5 years old and 3 feet tall

Tony

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s good additional info.

I have zero comparative data to back this up, but I count on having to protect hybrids to above the graft for the first two winters up here in the North, at a minimum. I know that callus tissue is much more sensitive to cold than a mature stem, and the hybrids seem to take an extra year to really start building bark over the callus.

1 Like

@OckooMicrofarm @hobilus I know we had a pretty mild winter here in New England, but how did your Dar Sofiyivki trees fare? My one little tree spent the winter in the garage, so it got even less of a stress test.

Consistent with this view: My young JT-02 tree (grafted in 2021) suffered significant damage to 1-yr old wood during the winter of 2022-23, when Feb '23 temps temporarily dipped to -7 F. There was no damage to the graft itself or the 2-yr old wood.

I know that JT-02 is tougher than this. But the observation exemplifies the point that young trees will not display optimal hardiness.

FWIW, in the same location, an established Kasandra showed no damage. But three established IKKJs were nearly killed – all 1-2 year old wood was killed.

1 Like

Mine is doing great. It pushed just under 6 ft of growth last year from a single bud near the graft union after dying almost completely back. It appears not to have suffered any damage of any kind, even at the tip of the leader. Buds are showing green as of last week:

2 Likes