Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

I would say yes. Might be a little larger too. Zima Khurma ripens much earlier than NG- so that’s another benefit!

5 Likes

Wow that is great! I bought mine bareroot and its been slow to catch but is pushing some growth finally so its exciting to hear a good report on it!!! Thanks!

1 Like

Zima Khurma is great. It’s my earliest non astringent. Last year was the first year it fruited for me. With a drastic pruning, I am lucky if it currently has two. It is a fast grower for me.

4 Likes

Good to know, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hey Tony,

I’ve really appreciated reading through some of the discussion here.

Here’s my question. Do you know of any hybrids that are created by a nonastringent x F2 Rosseyanka Male? It seems that if a person were to breed a nonastringent kaki, they would have make a cross like this

(nonastringent x F2 Rosseyanka Male) X (nonastringent).

Are there any of the former hybrids already in circulation?

Blessings,
Weston

2 Likes

Picked my “Kasandra” persimmon today. The tree grows in poor soil on a slope and has been bothered by deer horde. Finally it took off last year and this year.

The fruit is small, 35 grams. The taste is Chinese astringent type and I did not try the hard unripe ones. The little fruit is very potent. Super sweet. Even sweeter than the Chinese astringent type. I hope the rest can ripen before the month end.

Can someone compares it with American persimmon?

12 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 Didn’t you get Kassandra fruit in years past? I thought you did.

1 Like

Sounds great! I am hoping mine might set next year :smiley:

1 Like

Yes,

Kassandra is small and red just like RedSun and real sweet. I missed my Kassandra and majority of my JT-02 that died this year due to the Polar Vortex at -31F.

4 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5
Your Jt-02 died ?

Only two survived and 15 died ranging from 2 to 7 years in old.

1 Like

I think I would die at -31f too
What low temp did they survive before. With out dieback ?
I am sure you told us , but I forgot.

2 Likes

Mine went to -28f this winter without problems

3 Likes

Not many pollinators can bear a good crop…this is one of the best and is called Universal. It is polygamomonoecious, that means it bears male, female and bisexual flowers. Fruits from pistillate flowers can be as large as wild persimmon, but usually are smaller. They are round and flat. Fruits from bisexual flowers are very small and have elongated shape. Fruits rarely form small seeds. They ripen very early and are very sweet and delicious.
Universal flowers over an extended period of one month and thus can pollinate american, hybrid and kaki persimmon. It can be used for breeding new hybrids as it readily crosses with kaki. Few years ago I made a chance cross with Hana Fuyu and the resulting plant is vigorous and hardy, not resembling any of the parents so I am eagerly awaiting the fruits as it looks to be a female.
Hardiness of Universal is on par with 90 chromosome american persimmon.

34 Likes

I will add to this comment that Universal seems to me to be very vigorous. I hope to have fruit from it next year.

3 Likes

Tony, so sorry to see this. Must be a huge bummer….

2 Likes

@Harbin Great post! I had never heard of universal before. Sounds like it would be very helpful to many orchardists.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

@Harbin Interesting. So presumably Universal could pollenize Chocolate, Coffeecake,and Maru so they can be seeded and dark fleshed.

2 Likes

Picked more Kassandra persimmon. This one is larger.

13 Likes

That sounds like a winner. The trick is, is it available in the US?

4 Likes