Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Mine was grafted in 2019 so a relatively young tree. I planted it by the sidewalk to teach fruit nabbing pedestrians a lesson. All my unwholesome stuff is in front of the house and by the street.

16 Likes

@GrapeNut
I’m putting in a Nikita’s Bordeaux to find out!

4 Likes

That is hilarious! Great stuff!

4 Likes

Interesting - I definitely noticed the watery fruit last year, but I don’t remember any astringency. I have a lot more fruit on my young tree this year too, and they are good size and already starting to turn orange. I’m hoping the fruit quality improves as my tree matures.

5 Likes

How is the fruit set on your Sestronka this year? I think in previous years you were one of many people who noted it was a shy bearer, but hopefully it gets over that as it gets older.

1 Like

I have at least 20 fruit this year on what is still a young Sestronka tree. It only had one fruit the first season it fruited, but I wouldn’t call it a shy bearer because of that. My impression so far is that it’s pretty typical of persimmons in that it will shed the fruit it can’t carry and has increasing yields as it matures. I really liked the taste, but I haven’t grown it long enough to judge its productivity. I have more experience with Nikita’s Gift. Nikita’s Gift seems to alternate between bearing heavily one year and sparsely the next.

6 Likes

Lots of 400-5 crossed with H-120 and H-118 hybrid persimmon seedlings for fall planting in a week or so.

Tony

15 Likes

Here are the grafted Hybrid persimmon trees also ready for planting. Dar Sofiyviki, Nikita#4, Hunter’s Dream, Shin Na Da Herm, V. Derevienko, and Sosnovskyya.

Tony

13 Likes

Dar Sofiyivki is probably the hybrid I’m most excited about for zone 5.

5 Likes

Jay, have you been able to get this one? If both my JT-02s make it through the spring next year, and if I can find this variety, I might consider grafting it on one of them. Otherwise I might have to work on grafting it on a rootstock down the road. Looks like a great variety from a distance.

2 Likes

I have one from generosity of a member here. It might be a couple years before I have scionwood to share, but I’ll happily share some if you’re still looking.

JT-02, Dar Sofiyivki, and Chuchupaka seem to be the top the choices for our region, at least by my armchair estimation.

3 Likes

Ill have several feet of Dar Sofiyivky scion this winter. My scions originally came from Dax this spring and my trees are now 6ft and another over 8ft.

The 6ft tree on the left is DS. Planted next to two Nakitas Gift.

15 Likes

@Preston Impressive growth!

2 Likes

It is not Dar Sofiyivky, but rather virginiana of some sort.

2 Likes

I don’t have enough experience to know about Dar Sofiyivki in particular, but I have seen some persimmon varieties show wildly different leaf shape, size, etc their first year than in subsequent years. Could that be what’s going on here?

3 Likes

There are rumors of an ersatz Dar Sofiyivki making the rounds. Sounds like youre on board with that notion @Harbin. What’s your reasoning? Do you have any photos that might help folks stateside determine if they have the real McCoy? Mine came to me from Ukraine, so Im thinking it’s probably genuine.

1 Like

Itd be good to know your source, Jay.

3 Likes

@beetree was kind enough to share Dar Sofiyivki with me.

The leaves of what I have look more like what @harbin shows in the post linked below, but then again so do half of the ungrafted seedlings in my collection.

1 Like

I got 2 DS grafted trees with Dax scions from Europe and the leaves look similar to Harbin and Preston. Bee tree also got the scion from Dax.

6 Likes

Well, I guess we’ll know for sure in a couple years!

4 Likes