Hybrid Persimmons that are reportedly cold hardy

@tonyOmahaz5

I’m not too concerned. If they don’t want to survive, it’s ok. I would like to see what happens to them at that temp.

2 Likes

Yes that is correct.
Rosseyanka 2 is an F2. But daughter Rosseyanka also has the same characteristics as Rossey F2 (while being different).
But Rosseyanka 2 does not produce male flowers.
Another hybrid male pollinator from Michel is the son of Nikita’s gift (male flowers only).

2 Likes

@hobilus … that picture of ZK is impressive to me… nice looking large persimmon… and his comments on the flavor sounds good.

Cant wait to try one.

If it actually ripens for him early Sept… could be mid August for me. That does not jive with his website statement (ripens late season).

Here in southern TN… recently changed to zone 7b doubt I will be testing its cold hardiness and I should have long enough season to ripen them even if they are later.

I will be adding grafts to my wild dv rootstock trees of Journey and Dar Sofiyivky this next spring.

If successful my list of hybrids will include…

JT02/Mikkusu
Kassandra
Nikita’s Gift
Journey
Dar Sofiyivky
Zima Khurma

Thats it… got to stop somewhere.

6 Likes

Good afternoon.
You touched on the question of how far in the north persimmon can grow. I live in Belarus, not far from Minsk. My persimmon trees have not yet produced fruit. But my friend, who lives a little further south in the city of Mozyr, has been producing crops from the Sosnovskaya variety for several years.
This year he told me that Sosnovskaya began to ripen at the end of September. He collected the rest of the hard fruits on October 10 and after 2 weeks they ripened in the box. He also has the Prok variety, which ripens 10-14 days later than Sosnovskaya.
Growing conditions in Mozyr according to our meteorologists:
GDD >10(Celsius) = 2607–2746
duration of the growing season >>10 (Celsius) = 163 days.

There is another variety that may interest you: The firstborn of Podillya. (Pervistok Podillya (in Ukrainian)).
Pervistka (Pervenets, Pervenets Podolia) is a very early variety that ripens in Poddolia around October 10, earlier than Sosnovskaya. The first fruits can be harvested around mid-September. The variety is very productive. The fruits are ovoid, with few seeds, average weight about 80 g, maximum 120 g. Origin: V. Franciszko bought grafted persimmon seedlings from Novaya Kokhanovka. The scions froze, and one of the rootstocks grew into this specimen. The author suggests that the plants were grafted onto hybrid seedlings of V. Derevianko, the bulk of which were destroyed at the Novokakhovskaya research station in 2012[49]. Ripening on September 10, the mother plant begins vegetating 20 days earlier than other varieties, however, this property is not preserved during grafting, because the rootstock wakes up later and thereby retards the growth of the scion. [52]

8 Likes

Thanks @Sergey, glad to have your perspective. It sounds like your site is more marginal than mine for persimmons. For comparison, ‘Prok’ start ripening here in early October. Sounds like Sosnovskaya is a good bet here. I grafted it last year and am looking forward to seeing how it does.

What are the coldest temperatures your trees have endured? How reliable is that 163 days growing season in your experience? Here we probably average about 155 frost free days. Historically this area would have about 135 days and Ive seen as many as 175.

Too bad about the Derevianko hybrids. Id imagine there might have been some promising material amidst what was destroyed

this would be a decided negative here. early wakeup due to changeable weather followed by late frosts is a significant hurdle in much of the US

3 Likes

I’m really interested in the short list of these that can handle -20F. Think after this winter we will have our data. I know @tonyOmahaz5 is getting hit hard with sub -20F now.

1 Like

My Zima Khurma in what is now designated zone 6b ripens in October.

2 Likes

Attached an article about the climate of Belarus. My friend lives in Mozyr (Мозырь). This is the “New” (Новая) climate zone in the article. It should be taken into account that his plants grow near his house and the microclimate there should be a little better.

Климат Беларуси 2018-Оценка-агроклим-ресурсов.pdf (646.8 KB)

As for the persimmons on my site, not everything is so good there.My site is located at the bottom of a former sand quarry. Therefore, the microclimate there is quite harsh. I have Virginia persimmon seedlings growing in open ground. Almost all plants are damaged by frost every year; part of their annual growth is frozen over. Some of them bloomed, but did not ripen. I also have several varieties, but the grafts are only 1-2 years old and these plants grow in an unheated greenhouse. I plan to take scions and grafting in open ground.

I have collected some information on the winter hardiness of hybrid persimmon varieties. Below will be given not my data, but taken from the literature.

• -20 F = -28,9 C.
    12/21 - - 29 C. but late ripening variety
    Mikkusu kaki Hybrid, JT-02 , Mikkusu - The most frost-resistant hybrid currently known (approximately -30C), grows and bears fruit without shelter in the Belgorod region.
    Adolf Lishchuk - Winter hardiness of persimmon variety Sosnovskay [28]
    God’s gift (Божий дар) - More winter-hardy than Nikita’s Gift [11]
    Dar Sofiyivky - -27C.
    Nikita’s Gift - 'not less than -22 °С[11], -24 - -25 °С[45]
    Sosnovskay - 'down to -30 °C[11]
    Universal (Универсал) -27 - -28С[56]
    Chuchupaka - -27 °С[11]
    Yubileynaya Kosenko (Юбилейная Косенко) - Winter hardiness is higher than Rossiyanka, close to Sosnovka [58]
4 Likes