Hypothetical Hybrids

No, two different Genus, Scott.

Looks like a trained wisteria.

I don’t know the Genus to put it out there. I can’t comment any further.

Dax

I’ve looked at these for years (I had a shipova, but it never thrived and finally gave up after about 4 years and since it hadn’t fruited I gave up on it).

Ivan’s Belle (or was it Ivan’s Beauty) looked interesting but I’ve never read anyone claiming the fruit was good…

Scott

I saw something being marketed as a strawberry/raspberry hybrid recently. There’s no way that’s true…right?

Lots of things with gene splicing and stuff…who knows.

Probably was R. illecebrosus, the “strawberry raspberry” (nothing to do with actual strawberries, though)

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/rubus-illecebrosus/

Or maybe the strasberry?

2 Likes

I’d think impossible, but who knows anymore.

I’d rather see osagexfig. Larger fruits, more cold hardy. I don’t know how you’d get fig pollen to try it, but the osage orange blossom looks like it would be super easy to apply pollen to.

4 Likes

Oh yeah. chexfig may be hardy and interesting too!

1 Like

Olive grafted onto privet would be a good use of these billions of weeds.

I don’t have enough background to comment or suggest intelligently but there’s a huge interest in more perennial vegetables if that is something you’d like to explore. I’ve heard comments of some pears that weren’t sweet and tasted like potatoes, don’t we all need a potato tree? :smiley: I’ve long wondered if there was a way to develop some frost hardy tomatoes or peppers by grafting (something like Grafting Eggplant onto Devil Plant – Deep Green Permaculture) or breeding with Physalis heterophylla. Please keep us posted. You folks are doing some fascinating and valuable experimenting.

2 Likes

Yes, since AmericanXAsian Persimmons have been successfully hybridized (albeit with great difficulty)…I’ve always wondered about the other potential Texas hybrids here, like AmericanXTexas or AsianXTexas?

It’s an interesting question…because there are many zones where you can actually grow all 3 species!

1 Like

Or what about trying D. texana x D. nigra? Though that would require a dedicated greenhouse or two for anyone outside the tropics.

asianxtexas is what I’m attempting. Supposedly there is a texana in my area (only one known), so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve not done any approach grafting before, and my seedlings are veeerrrrry small diameter.

As for texanaxnigra, Would you be attempting to increase size and have the outer peel be black as well? Supposedly they can be similar in flavor, and only two zones of hardiness different, so there seems to be less benefit (to me at least). Nigraxvirginiana definitely has some appeal though.

1 Like

Personally I’d love to see daylilies crossed with phosphorescent mushrooms. Glow in the dark daylilies would be a pretty sight (especially given that daylily flowers only last a day, it would extend their bloom through the evening at least).

I’d also like to see the butterfly pea and a clematis variety crossed…(if only for the scandalous name such a cross would likely be given…) …Anyone ever tried the tea made from the blue butterfly pea?

i’d love to also see my passiflora citrina crossed with a good edible passionflower as well. Citrina reliably grows, flowers and fruits from seed for me in one season but the fruits are 1) small 2) insipid and 3) they explode when ripe. Bigger, tastier fruit that doesn’t shoot seed filled goo all over the area around the plant would be wonderful.

Scott

There really are diurnal and nocturnal daylilies.

1 Like

I would say the main reason to try it is they seem more similar in their characteristics, so might be more able to cross than the others, though I’m not aware of any genetic profiles confirming whether they are more closely related than other Diospyros species. Although their native ranges are near each other in Mexico, it appears they are non-overlapping, so natural crosses would be rare even if they are able to be crossed.

Hybrids could produce larger, better-tasting fruit than texana, but with better frost and drought tolerance than nigra. Personally, I’ve never tasted texana, but nigra is one of my favorite tropical fruits, so anything that makes it more available to zone pushers would be great.

Crossing nigra with virginiana would be very interesting, but they seem more distantly related based on physical features, so crossing might be a long shot.

Would really be nice to find any genetic testing that’s been done on Diospyros species to see if any others are promising candidates for crossing with the ones with more desirable fruit. Sometimes a hybrid will produce something completely different in flavor and appearance from either parent (e.g, babaco papayas), so it might be worth just trying some crosses to see what they produce even with species that have less desirable characteristics?

As far as I know, most Diospyros species are dioecious, making it relatively easy to confirm any seeds produced are crosses if you are careful with your experiment, so that’s another reason to consider other crosses in the genus in general.

Edit: here are some maps showing native range of various Diospyros species:

2 Likes

There’s also a diospyros californica in Baja California which is more similar to the nigra in size, but texana in hardiness.

2 Likes

Do you have a source for those traits of californica? The best I could find was A revision of neotropical Diospyros, which describes the californica fruit size as only “up to 3 cm in diameter” – I’ve had nigra fruit that were the size of a large grapefruit, so seems like no contest on that front, but definitely another species to consider. That journal article says that pre-columbian peoples may have crossed californica with sonorae “to improve fruit quality,” so that’s another cross worth thinking about.

1 Like

The ones in the lower right are American persimmons that I’d assume are 3 cm. That’d put the californica at least at 9 by my estimation.

3 Likes

Interesting range map, but Diospyros virginiana extends through East Texas into North/Central Texas…so it’s odd they largely left it out of the entire state? Because, you definitely have it overlapping with Diospyros texana there.

Wow, would love to hear/see more about this one! But, I can’t find much on the interwebs about it?