I need to loot a super market for their produce flats

Grocery stores and fruit markets will sell you or give you those crates cheap. Just ask.

@Ruben

Yes that’s true I guess phone lines have little power in them anymore. Crank telephones put out some serious juice so i thought they need insulators as well. I’m not sure when all that happened. Phone lines might have been put in the place of telegraph lines I’m not sure. Thinking about insulators when I was a kid I think all I saw were power lines. Can remember white ceramic ones that had a hole in them also but have not seen those since my childhood.

1 Like

In most places now telephone lines are underground but there still many places where they have them on a poles just like the cable and other companies.

Power companies they still use some glass insulators but are more common used on transmission lines, most of the insulators that they use nowadays are made of porcelain and polymer.

1 Like

@Ruben

Looks like i was right the first time. When i checked with a friend they confirmed the glass insulators were telephone. We know they used them for power as well. Just to be sure i googled telephone insulators and they did use glass insulators. Glass Insulators ~ General Overview ~ Summary, History and Background

I ordered two from Amazon at $66 for the pair. It may sound steep but on this modern day and age anything in the $20 dollar range is garbage, so these well built ones $33 feel like a reasonable amount. It is the same footprint as the super market ones but the stacking doesn’t connect on the slots.

What convinced me to pull the trigger was the bottom, pretty open:

I care about that because they can double as air pruning boxes. I lined the sides with cardboard, loaded it with dirt, and transplanted 28 of my experimental batch of haskaps.

I would love to standardize to these but that price is not pretty! I figure I could use about 13 of them on my plants for world domination.

3 Likes

I’m really liking these boxes. Each currently have 31 plants, the one on the left is all haskaps, the one of the right is a bit of everything; grapes, 3 varieties of currants, goji, haskap, sand cherry, basically random stuff I had on the aeroponic box. The plan is to bare root them for the winter.

Sorry for the bad pic, it is 11:20pm here, beginning to get dark.

Jesus jostaberry pick up in a hurry! I overwinter slower growing plants in the boxes but these late spring cuttings are just going a bit crazy there.

Peat moss with a tiny amount of osmocote blended in, cuttings don’t really need or could uptake a lot of nutrients. The peat promotes a lot of feeder roots. Plus it pulls out beautifully.

I cram them there pretty tight, 35 to a box. If there is no transplant shock I guess that was the right number

3 Likes