If you don't grow it, you have to mine it

A lot of the European hazelnuts like I have seen for sale seem to have at least some EFB resistance. Most of the ones I see have been bred by Oregon University for that reason in fact. Varieties like Jefferson, Theta, Yamhill, Polly O, Macdonald and way more are thought to have resistance and some even be immune. Of course the American varieties sold are immune but there are very few American varieties. I found edible landscaping was selling a self fertile American hazelnut and sells some of the few other well known American varieties. I think all the ones One Green World sells state they are Euro hazelnuts and have some resistance. How much depends on the plant.

hmm… ive heard the opposite but they have started to breed resistance into them. could be old info. i read.

1 Like

All the videos I watched giving information on how to grow hazelnuts talked about the industry in a very American hazelnut point of few. Like I said University of Oregon has had a major breeding program in breeding hazelnuts that are European and are either resistant or immune to EFB. Hardiness is a issue having been bred in Oregon but EFB is less of a issue. Beaked hazelnut is hardy to something like zone 2 but is rarely sold. There are varieties that are as old as can be and contradict the hazelnut growing videos too. Winkler only gets about 6 feet, is resistant to EFB being an American hazelnut and is considered self fertile but has been around since around 1918 I believe. Theta was University of Oregon’s first release in 2009 and it is immune to EFB. The pollinators of Theta ( Polly O I believe, Washington and ETA are all resistant too. Here is a link to many varieties resistant on edible landscaping. One Green World has a list but it is not all right on 1 page Edible Landscaping Plant Sale: Buy plants online from our garden center and plant nursery

1 Like