I'm Stumped

I have 5 years old apricot and Asian pear planted 2~3 feet away from a very large tree stump(been there abouts 6~7years) on each side of the tree stump. My apricot started gave good growth this year. The previous years, it put out very little new growth despite the fertilizer I put down every spring. I think the stump finally decade enough to turn itself into organic fertilizer. A tree stump decade can contribute as organic fertilizer but it takes many years to die and decade. I have another maple that was cut down three years ago, it still sends out new shoots every year. The root underneath still has reserved energy and refuse to give up

1 Like

Maples are notorious like that.

The wind can blow the hat off your head, and before you have time to pick it up, a maple tree will have sprouted through it.

2 Likes

$Matt
I planted five apples near a Black Walnut which I have since cut down and they all died, each less than 40 feet away. I planted three peaches in the same area and they all lived.

1 Like

I rooted some pomegranate cuttings when I was eight, and planted them at my grandparents’ home. Not knowing any better at the time, they were placed in a line running 15 to 30 ft from one of the few black walnuts on the farmstead. They sort of languished, never producing any fruit for 25 years or more - until it became necessary to run a new septic line and the trench was dug in close proximity to the base of the BW, and between it and the poms. The BW declined rapidly and eventually died, but the poms came into their own and began fruiting prolifically.
So… I’d say that pomegranates also are sensitive to juglone, but that’s based on an n of 2

2 Likes