Inspiration for fruiting hedgerow

Since I got a lot of seedlings, plum, cherry plum, cherries and crab apples I’m planning to plant a hedgerow. I want as a hedge (of course) but also to get a chance to let the seedlings grow and produce fruit and not take up that much space. (Plants eventually having fruit of some quality will of course be moved or grafted.)

Does anybody have any tips and tricks? Experience’s? Pictures? Plants of different types mixed or in sections? How much space between plants?

Thankful for pictures and advices!

2 Likes

This could be something everyone learns from! In USA fencelines are something your keep clean using Roundup! So much is lost here that is part of old Europe.

2 Likes

I made a post about this a little while ago.

This post has some other good ideas.

As an update to my thread, I am also going to try espalier on some persimmons and have gone all in on the blueberries and haskaps with cranberries, lingonberries and various other things mixed in.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will check ‘‘em out.

2 Likes

Cant go wrong with Brambles for a hedgerow. Blackberries, Red and Black Rasps.

I am doing one myself of plants and shrubs that are fairly cheapo… all for nature and aesthetics. Nanking Cherry, Cornelian Cherry, Brambles, Hazelnuts, Red Twig Dogwood, Elderberries etc.

1 Like

Sounds great! Got any pictures?

1 Like