Interested in grafting some branches to my apple trees but can't find instruction

Hi - I’m interested in grafting some ‘different’ varieties to my apple trees (and maybe onto some wild ones with extra wood & for practice & general clandestine activity).

However for the life of me, having tried over a few weeks now, I can’t find any simple or detailed description of this… I’ve searched the web, extension bulletins, my growing number of apple & fruit books, grafting books on pdf, etc. and can find great tutorials for bench grafting to rootstocks, cleft grafting small to big branches, topworking to replace everything above the roots, chip budding, t-grafts, bridge grafting, inarching, etc, etc. … But not this (I’d think very common) practice of just adding different cultivars to an existing tree to have a mix.

I can’t even figure out if this practice has a name to search (you’d think, but I can’t tell)! Maybe it’s so simple it’s not worth mentioning in all those things I’ve seen?

I’m far enough from big cities or general culture that I don’t think there’ll be any grafting workshops within 100 miles or more (‘attend a local grafting workshop, offered frequently!’ the references say…). So I’ll have to figure this out myself via (preferably) pictures, text, and maybe u-tube videos (of which I’d bet there are many but searching for it is the hard part!). Well, like all the stuff I see for all the other types of grafting!

Can anyone help me find this very basic instruction? I guess it’d be sort of a version of Whip and Tongue bench grafting, but to an existing branch on a tree rather than a root on a bench, but guessing there might be some nuances of note useful to know about (like techniques of cutting the branch not on a bench but on the growing tree, if I use parafilm would I want wax also, etc.).

If I can at least get this figured out maybe I ought to ask if it’s too risky and I might hurt my trees at the amateur stage, etc…

In brief, I have two apple trees planted in 2021; a Wold River on seedling (quite husky by now) & a Newtown on 111. Both now have ‘pencil-sized branches’ so I’d like to graft a few things onto to try some things of interest (I’ll be out of room for more trees after 2024 plantings and as indicated above unlikely to see unusual varieties in this area other than the many great wildings). I’m mid 50s, so goal is to get things going good by the time I’m dead, perhaps a few years before even!

I’ll buy some sticks from probably Fedco.

I’ve got a few wild apples I like also but might need to prune them some to get good scionwood in later years (I’ll have 6 total apple trees in home orchard/garden next year, planted '21, 23, & 24).

Since (with luck) I’d have a bit extra from each scion grafted to my trees, I’d also like to graft to some of the wild & feral trees I know on public land (State & Nat’l forest, not parks); why not?!

In future years I’d like to graft some fantastic wild juneberry I found (to Amelanchier of course) & pear cultivars also. Maybe a plum or three too (next spring will total 9 planted). I have half a mind (that in itself probably enough of a sentence) to try a graft of some variety from another source on an existing tree of same variety just to see variety of varieties (greengage, for example).

1 Like

Well, I did just find this:

… on like page 41 of goggle adspam - er, search…

1 Like

@sadivnik

Glad you were able to locate my older thread on whip and tongue grafting. This website is by far the best information on the web available for fruit growers like yourself. If you have one tree or ten thousand there is some great information here. Be cautious on the whip and tongue there have been many grafters earn there first scar making the tongue. Here is a video made by the legendary Stephen Hayes

Here is another one of our members videos who is a well known youtube personality @SkillCult

2 Likes

Between this site (use the little magnifying glass in the upper right corner to start a search) and Youtube you can find almost overwhelming amounts of detailed information from experienced, competent people. @clarkinks has you off to a good start.

1 Like

A wild persimmon growing in my field… it was budding and leafing out pretty good at that point. Also important… the 10 day foecast had lots of nice sunny warm days.

Did a whip/tounge graft adding a scion of Prok persimmon.

What it looked like after wrapping. I use a combo of parafilm and a nice stretchy rubber electrical tape.

This is what it looked like after graft union healed.

My Prok persimmon at the end of its first growing season.

1 Like

This is another youtuber… that has many good grafting vids.

3 Likes

He could use a sharper knife though, and not take 10 swipes to make one cut! lol

1 Like

@BlueBerry … i have noticed that Stephen Hayes often takes several swipes at it too… even in the vid above with a knife he just sharpened :wink:

Makes me feel better… I am not sure if I ever got a W/T just right without several passes at it… but had very high success rate this year regardless.

Just on persimmons 6 of 7 success.

1 Like

When you make the slot cut, you are cutting towards your hand. If (when) it slips you will cut yourself. you will notice (in videos) that many people keep their thumbs touching when making that cut to prevent the injury. I forget to do that every now and then, the cut I got this spring still hurts. I never make that mistake twice in one year-lol.

2 Likes

I got more cuts correct the first swipe than you might imagine…but I did 165 grafts last spring, and over 75 each of the past 5 years, so maybe experience counts for something. But, the only time I cut myself this year was from grabbing or hitting the blade of the knife by accident, not from making cuts on scions or rootstocks.

But it’s happened at some point in the past…carelessness can hurt, using a knife, driving a car, using a gun, sawing a limb…etc.

@sadivnik you should find many a grafting video by doing a search using your favorite computer search engine…pick a rainy or snowy day and take some free online lessons.

1 Like

JSacadura is skilled, has great content and results, but… I think if the newbies follow the videos from Skillcult, they will be less likely to hurt themselves.

3 Likes

I often take multiple swipes, but try to cut a whole fresh plane on the final stroke.

I’m sure I’d perform much better if I did many grafts of the same species and diameter materials in one go. I’m usually doing a dozen grafts, each a different cultivar, often across several species and in various locations in a tree. Each one is different.

3 Likes

Some encouragement… If I can graft, I would say most anyone can. I studied 5 grafting techniques. listed in order most difficult to easiest for me.

1. Chip bud (most difficult)
  2. T-bud
  3. Cleft
  4. Modified Cleft
  5. Whip and Tongue (easiest)

Timing is key both scion collection, storage & grafting.

I had 100% success on apples. The best a cleft graft, grown about 8 foot, The worst a whip and tongue graft , grew about 1 foot. The rest are in-between. Overall very happy with my first ever scion wood collecting/storage and grafting experience.

Two good videos to watch multiple times over to learn from.

3 Likes

Great information.

1 Like