Interesting article about correcting Honeycrisp fruit disorders

as long as it is made for foliar apps. in my experience that is usually stated on the label.

Yeah thatā€™s how I use it.

Humboldts Secret CalMag & Iron can be used as both a soil drench and foliar spray.

1 Like

Then I agree, thatā€™s probably the ticket.

Iā€™m curious to hear how that goes for you. Iā€™m unlikely to be willing to expend the effort. Iā€™d have already topworked over the Honeycrisp, but that wood is needed to keep the Goldrush side from falling over. Itā€™s already leaning that way pretty good.

I donā€™t care that much about Honeycrisp because it isnā€™t a staple apple for me- I find Jonagold (Red Prince strain) very similar in flavor profile but more aromatic and more useful in the kitchen. It is worth the calcium sprays I gave it this year to have it available through winter for when I need a sweet apple with bouquet. But then I do some summer sprays to keep my fruit pretty anyway. It helps me sell fruit trees to have attractive samples.

Jonagold on my site has a similar rot problem as Honeycrisp. My site encourages vigorous tree growth as all trees have access to my nursery soil which is constantly being cultivated and given ample N for rapid tree growth. I am in the process of trying to isolate my orchard trees more from my nursery trees.

Ok
Fortunately my T King, Chehellis, and Cortland and my neighbors yellow are mainstays and doing very well giving me more each year than we can consume. So I can take another year to assess the HC and to try to resolve its issue. So by next fall I should be able to decide itā€™s fate, check with me then. If I still have splitting and rotting cores, I will top work it
Dennis

Thompkins King is a find apple. I finally got around to grafting it last year. Is it your favorite of the 3?

BTW. Chehalis, WA is about 1.5 hour drive from my place.

Itā€™s more susceptible to codling moth than the others so the spray program and thinning to prevent the large fruits from growing diametrically opposite each other to control insects that like to harbor around the stem, are essential and seems to work. It is an early ripening variety that does not keep as well as the Other three, but a delicious one straight off the tree. My TK is a huge one planted in 1995. My only regret is that itā€™s not a semi dwarf. So I plan to replace it with semi dwarf rootstock. This next spring I will be planting several TK semi dwarfs close to it while severing several limbs back to allow the new ones to produce. So if you need more scions, I can provide them as well as my Cortland (similar strategy in play). Of the 3 Cortland is by far the favorite followed by my neighbors yellow (unknown variety). These two can be stored until late Feb into March. BTW I used to live in Vancouver while in the service.
Dennis

2 Likes