Interesting new to you apples this year?

Last winter I bought some Suncrisp apples from White Oak. They looked very similar to Gingergold in appearance but had a distinct pear-like flavor which my wife and I both liked. I am trying to grow it now on EMLA.111…

Four apples I am eating now which I want to praise-- (disclaimer: all bought from local nurseries; I have not yet fruited these myself):

Roxbury Russet is under-rated and absolutely amazing. Slice this apple for the table. Super sweet tangy crystalline flesh. Somewhat firm, dense and coarse, but not in a bad way. Squat apple shape. Light green color with significant russeting that streaks from the tops and bottoms of the apples-- the overall effect is homely but strangely charming and comforting. These apples are so sweet and delicious, they will suprise you. Truly my favorite October apple, and in my top 5 overall. It is said to be scab and rust resistant; a good keeper; and good for any other purpose, including baking, sweet cider, and hard cider production. I am trying to grow it on Geneva.16.

Roxbury Russet

I dumped on Honeycrisp earlier as having an off-year. But I’ve been eating some late-season Honeycrisps now which are back to being their spectacular selves. Unbeatable crisp breaking texture. Outrageously sweet and tangy flavor that fills your mouth. Juices rain down onto your palate as you chew. I remember now why it is my favorite. Store-bought Honeycrisps are okay. Locally grown Honeycrisps cannot be beat when they’re at their best. I am trying to grow it on Geneva.41.

Honeycrisp (left) and Jonathan (right)

The Jonathan apple is said to be prone to disease, which is too bad. These things have that vinious winesap flavor in spades! Juicy grape-like flavor. Good eater.

Newtown Pippin

Newtown Pippin is perhaps one of the prettiest of the American heirloom apples, and this thing has a strange unique “piney” flavor that provides more variety for your collection. It is fun to eat. Classic somewhat sour green-apple flavor. Crisp breaking texture which is suprising and exciting to find in an antique apple. The first American apple to break into the English market. While touring Europe, Jefferson wrote a letter to a friend back in America: “They [Europeans] have no apple to compare with our Newtown Pippin.” After tasting the apple, the Queen of England lifted trade barriers in order to import the apple. Eventually, I plan to grow it on Geneva.16.

2 Likes

Thank you for your comments on those apples. You get me interested in growing RR now.

I like your description of Honey Crisp. That is my experience as well as others I gave them to.

I started picking them from mid Sept until last week. It is a keeper to me.

1 Like

A historic tree in my town that I’ve been watching for years bore a crop this year, some of which I picked (with owners permission, of course). The tree is easily over 100 yrs, obviously grafted at around chest height. Untended and somewhat shaded.

Apples are delicious fresh eating, thin skinned, crisp, juicy lightly subacid. Very little insect damage. I haven’t definitively IDed the variety, but with a friend’s help and some input from SA Beach, I think it is a Wagener. I will be taking scion wood from this one, for sure!

3 Likes

Scott- roughly how many years did it take for your Spigold to fruit? What rootstock? Thanks. I think this is the mystery apple I grafted at my former orchard that knocked my socks off but I’d lost the ID tag! I’ll know as soon as I taste it if it’s the mystery apple. Any experience with fire blight on it? Many thanks.

Do you know any place that grows them commercially?

Steve

I had my first taste of Rhode Island Greening from a neighbor’s tree. :heart_eyes: It was awesome. It’s like a sweeter version of Granny Smith. I can’t believe I’ve been missing out on this old classic.

I also got some Fortune apples from a local. After baking, it seems similar to Cortland or Winesap, except a little less tart. The family liked it over other two. It also has a bit of spiciness when eaten fresh. It’s a good choice for an all-purpose apple.

I have mixed feelings for Ruby Frost. It wasn’t very interesting off the tree, but it does seem to hold promise for developing better flavor after a month or more of storage. It’s good for baking if you don’t like tart baking apples.

1 Like

I had RIG for a time but took it off because it needs a much longer season that I’m likely to get. So I’m envious! Good for you.

hambone, it looks like it took awhile to fruit - I topworked it on a 6-year old M7 in 2009. I think it has a reputation for taking quite awhile (its too vigorous - I noticed that myself). I don’t recall any fireblight issues.

I have not seen it in orchards or farmers markets recently, its not so popular anymore and probably due to its reputation for various issues including biennial bearing etc. Quite a few specialty nurseries still carry it.

Hey while I am writing on this thread I have one last apple coming in now… Keener Seedling. This is a fantastic long season winter keeper. They are just starting to be good now. Its a thoroughly russeted apple with that nutty taste found in the heavily russeted varieties. It is considered one of the best southern keeper apples and is also very easy to grow, not many pests or diseases attack the fruits. I am not 100.0% on the ID as I got it from Botner under the name Rusty Coat, but that is a common nickname for it and the description fits perfectly. Its a very long season apple, a bit later than GoldRush.

Another nice late one I only got a few samples on is Black Limbertwig. This is your classic American apple, red flesh crisp and tasty. It still needs to mature for a month or more in the fridge.

1 Like

Thanks Scott.

Scott- Is your Keener a sweet/tart blend? Crisp? Will be another year or two for mine to bear. Tasted my first Black Limbertwig recently and Loved it, more people need to know about this variety.

1 Like