Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Welcome, Anthony.
With -8 F, and you had no damage to your in ground Fuyu?

I thought Fuyu would be less cold tolerant than hybrids like Nikita’s Gift or even Tam Kan. No?

is your loquat in the ground or your greenhouse?

It is a new seedling I just got from my citrus tree guy. Only 18" tall right now so in a big plant pot in my greenhouse. But the parent tree he got the fruit/seeds from is planted in ground in Vancouver. Big tree planted outside an apartment building.

No damage to either the in-ground outdoor tree, the in-ground greenhouse tree or the planter box trees (2 in greenhouse, 2 outside). Neither Fuyu nor Izu persimmons were damaged by the low temps. Only freeze-casualties were over a dozen of my citrus trees (including a 6’ Owari satsuma) and my Pomegranate tree. My olive tree I keep inside a portable greenhouse which is inside my big permanent greenhouse and it did great despite the freezing temps.

Hi, new here!
I used to lurk at the other place, but it’s gotten boring.
I have an acre in Central Kentucky, near Lexington. We are on a hilltop, heavy clay, good fertility, 6.0 pH.
We put in apples and every berry we could think of. I had twins last summer, and am trying to figure out how to keep gardening with them in tow.

6 Likes

Welcome KW.

Tony

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! This is the real place now

Welcome, KYW! I’m in NE Kentucky, not too far from you. I’d like to hear how your trees and berries do, as we have put in 17 apple trees (and a few other peach and pear trees), and a bunch of berry plants this year- strawbs, blues, rasps and gooseberries over the last couple years.

Will do, Subdood. We got the apples from Century Farms, and so far (second summer), they are doing great. Nothing got watered or weeded last summer, so we lost some hazels and currants. Everything else is going gangbusters.

I wanted to wish you a belated welcome. I live right on the KY/TN border above Nashville, so not too far from you (compared to others here). I went to graduate school at UK in Lexington and worked for the Chamber of Commerce downtown for about 2 years after that. I miss Lexington very much. Those horse farms…wow!

Anyway, glad you’re here and I think you’ll really enjoy it. The depth of expertise is almost unlimited and, better still, so is the willingness of the members to share it. Sounds like you enjoy berries- I’ve got almost every berry I could think of as well, though many are just on their first or second year so I have never even tasted many of the berries I’ve planted. ha.

Sounds like you have your hands full with twins and gardening, but I’d say both are quite enjoyable. Is weaving another hobby or is there some other genesis for that username?

Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Thanks! I am having fun here!
I grew up south of Nashville and drive back to visit the folks frequently. I think TN/KY are just about perfect country. Maybe a little less humidity.
I am a weaver, did it professionally for ten years. Still make some commission items, but don’t do shows and stuff. Spin, too, but just for fun.

2 Likes

Churchill Weavers?

1 Like

Close! Berea College Weavers for a four year apprenticeship, then six years at Fort Boonesborough Living History Village doing historical reproductions and teaching. Too much fun, not enough pay!

3 Likes

Not fruit related, but are you familiar with the Turtleman? He was a critter wrangler who would come get wild animals out of people’s homes or workplaces. He had a show on Animal Planet for maybe four seasons. He was/is in the Lebanon area, I believe.

1 Like

Vaguely. I think he stopped by the Fort to talk to our trapper/Hunter/old fart/storyteller once, but I had a class and didn’t get to meet him.

1 Like

I know everyone thinks they live in best part of the country, but you and I and @subdood_ky_z6b, @zazlev, @RobThomas, and a few others here know they only think that because they haven’t lived here. hahaha I can hear the keyboards firing up now! :slight_smile: Seriously, though, we do have the ability to grow as wide of a variety of fruits as almost anyone anywhere

Anyway, I really just wanted to tell you how neat I think it is that you were a weaver at Fort Boonesborough. I thought that place was so neat and I kind of wondered who those people were that worked there. I actually vaguely remember a lady who was doing some weaving the one time I went there- sound like there is a good chance I have seen you in person! (This would have been 1995-1996).
We have a place down here called Shaker Village that, as I understand it, also has people doing living history. I’m downright ashamed that I’ve never even been there but I hear it is very fun and educational, and as a bit of a history buff I know I’d enjoy it.

BTW, in case you haven’t noticed yet, I’m a bit infamous around here for using 5 words when 1 would do (- ie for having long posts.) haha But its especially fun to meet someone in the same general area who shares the same interests (fruit, history, etc) so I couldn’t help but blather on. haha.

3 Likes

You kidding? This is the closest thing to a grown-up conversation I’ve had in weeks! I’m FTM to ten-month old twins. Most of my conversations involve poop.
I started at Ft. Boonesborough in 2007, so missed you there, but Shaker Village is awesome too. We did some equipment shares with them.
KY and TN have beautiful forests, rich soil, almost enough water, Mammoth Cave, not too cold winters, lots of history of all eras, and bourbon. What else could you want?

5 Likes

Frost protection from a very large body of water.

1 Like

Poop … manure …

3 Likes