Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been reading the forum for a couple of years (particularly the scionwood sources thread), ever since catching the apple bug and starting (badly but getting better :slight_smile: ) my adventures in grafting and orcharding. I live in Blue Hill Maine, and have about 200 apple trees in the ground, of ~30 varieties (mostly english cider fruit along with a few local varieties).

After recently joining NAFEX and trying my hand at chip grafting (probably a little too early in 2020 to find some respite from the madness of COVID), I have to say that I’ve been bitten (hard) by the grafting bug. I have another 50 varieties of UK cider applies on order from places like TOC, 39th Parallel, Fedco and private collectors. After no grafts taking in my first year (2019), and about 60 in my second (2020), I am hoping for even better results in 2021, where I am determined to master the Whip and Tongue (hopefully without removing a finger in the process) and even try a hand at the Somerset saddle, after watching a fascinating youtube video by John Worle on the technique.

Looking forward to many years of satisfaction and learning in the art and craft of apple growing.

15 Likes

Welcome David!

Hi All,

Gene G. here.

I live in Lamar County Texas. That is, NorthEast Texas. Bought a 33 acre farm here 3 years ago. Came with pear, black walnut, pecan, blackberries, asparagus, blueberries, hickory, and several hundred wild persimmon trees. Also a few hundred volunteer native pecan trees (all sizes). I hit the jackpot with this place. Anymore, most folks don’t know what they are looking at with a farm like this. It had a very dated 1974 house and no one wanted to take on the project of updating it…that is for another forum…

I ordered a japanese maple in the mail. Advertised as a 3 year old tree. When I received it there was a 3 year old tree with a rubberband and some wax affixing a limb to it. I was pissed. False advertising!! Needless to say, that was the beginning of my trip down the rabbit hole of discovering what a graft was. Now I’ve watched a ton a youtube videos and I’m doing them myself.

My intent right now is to “take what nature has given me”. That is to say, if I’ve got hundreds of wild persimmons and native pecans with fantastic root stocks, why not improve them by grafting!

One of the members here recommended I join this group (k8tpayso). She also shared some nice scionwood with me to help me get started.

I don’t know what I’m doing on this forum (incompetent I mean). As far as navigating and posting. Any help is appreciated.

9 Likes

Welcome Gene! I suggest spending some time on the reference topics and the different lists of good nurseries to find grafting wood for all of your persimmons! There is truly something new to learn here every day if you invest the time.
-Ryan

Welcome! I’m an hour away just across penobscot bay from you and was bitten by the orcharding bug about the same time as you! Get in touch if you ever want to trade scion :+1:

1 Like

Good to know I will already have fruit buddies when I retire up there in a few decades (maybe sooner)!

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind welcome Everett, and great to know there is another member on the Downeast coast. Happy to trade scionwood - I’m a member of MOFGA and hope to make a contribution again to their March event (thankfully back in Unity in some limited fashion rather than a bucket on my driveway). Not much to trade at the moment - its all first leaf, every tree is just peaking above the snow line from two back to back nor’easters wondering what the heck they did wrong in getting sent from the warmth of North Cal and Washington state to end up on my miserable pile of rocks up here in the wilderness. PM me if you have the ability to do so (not sure i have that ability yet), and I’ll let you know what I have (and what I might have spare from trades later this spring).

3 Likes

I used to belong to Nafex.
They published the
Pomona Quarterly
I even had a few articles published.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, just signed up and would like to introduce myself.

Ziguri, from South Africa here. Ive always been drawn to growing stuff etc but never really got the opportunity to grow my own fruit due to lack of space etc. I finally have a place of my own now where i can start growing and its safe to say, im super excited.

Going into autumn here now, so probably not the best time for me to start, but i just couldn’t wait. Ive got alot of questions and i hope i can learn alot on this forum. Ive bought a few fruit trees, amongst others and am planning on growing in pots. Below are the trees i’ve bought and the size pot im going to plant in:

1 x Pinkerton Avocado (100 liter - 26 gallon)
1 x Australian Tea Tree (100 liter - 26 gallon)
1 x Papershell almond (100 liter - 26 gallon)
1 x Moringa (100 liter - 26 gallon)
1 x Wonderful Pomegranate - (70 liter - 18 gallon)
1 x Black Genoa Fig (70 liter - 18 gallon)
1 x Black Raspberry (40 liter - 10 gallon)
1 x Ginger (30 liter - 8 gallon)
1 x Turmeric (20 liter - 5 gallon)
1 x Legacy Blueberry directly in ground
1 x 2 x kiwi directly in ground
1 x Granadilla directly in ground

For my potting mix this is what im planning (I have no experice in this, so if im doing something wrong, please correct me :slight_smile: ) :slightly_smiling_face:

100 l vermiculite
100 l worm castings
125 l perlite
100 l coco peat buffered
100 l compost from my garden
100 l topsoil from garden

I then also have some organic fertilizers to amend the soil for the individual plants as needed:
Rock Dust
Calcitic Lime
Powdered and liquid kelp
Bone Meal

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome

Anyways, hope to learn alot and have lots of fun along the way :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Welcome, "O Ambitious One’, in Maine. 200 apple trees! Thats a lot of apples.
Thanks for the video link. I’m addicted to watching people who can do this so easily.
Glad you came out of your ‘lurk’. This is a great forum with some wonderful and knowledgeable people. - - - See you around! - Pomgranny in VA

Welcome, Ziguri. You are growing some interesting things, for sure!

1 Like

Do you grow any Muscat grapes?

1 Like

Nope, don’t have any grapes atm.

I hope this is the right place to post myself introducing message… I would like to thanks Scott for welcoming me and say good evening everyone (here’s 9,00 pm:-), my name’s Luca and I’m a new user from Italy. I congratulate everyone for the nice atmosphere in this forum! I registered because I’m interested in grape, grape breeding and crossing. I like the prospect of trading and, although I have already pruned many of the following varieties for this year, I could possibly send cuttings of the following vines:

1. Varieties with one or two individuals:

Moscato di alessandria, nebbiolo, Norton, White strawberry (Isabella - hybrid), Three times grape (very rare), Poloskei Muskotali, Black strawberry (Black Isabella - hybrid), Philip (rare hybrid), Sultanina Rosa (rare), Muscat Bleu, Moscato di Scanzo, Moscato Bianco, Moscato bianco Frontignano biotype , Muscat Adda, Moscato Rosa, aromatic Malvasia of Candia, Regina (not sure about this!), Moscato di Saracena, Brachetto, Moscato di Terracina, Moscato d’ Hamburg, Uva Ruggia (very rare), Priè Blanc (alpine rare variety good for ice wine), Bacò, Uva di Palestina (aka Promised Land - “meter grape” ) - very rare (it’s the biblical vine), Solaris (hybrid), Sublima Seedless, White Clinton (hybrid).

1. Variety with more than two individuals:

Arneis, Viognier, Bronner (hybrid), Regent (hybrid).

I cross grapes since about 8 years. I’m actually working on crosses between muscat of alexandria x seedless varieties, and muscat of alexandria X downy mildew resistent varieties. For the next season I would like to try these crosses: nebbiolo x american/european vine, Viognier x a Muscat. I would also like to to go on with the previously written crosses. I actually still have no cross plant in fruiting phase because in the first 3/4 years of attempts I made huge mistakes in pollinating. In the last 3/4 years I got from 15 to 40 seeds for season, so I hope to be on the right track…

I would go crazy with joy if someone would have a vitis acerifolia to trade with one of my vines… unfortunately I have not very much space in my garden and this is a problem also because when I go back to Sicily in holiday time (I was born there), I go aroung in the villages looking for forgotten ancient vines (many times owners neither know how rare is what they have!).

Other plants I have are: Pomelo Sarawack, Newhall Orange, Smirne ficus carica (still little), Nico apple from Etna Vulcan (warm good resistant - still little), “bella di cesena” Peaches, Mirto, Apricots, Goji, Portugal white ficus carica, Red Delicious Apple, Kaiser Pear, cherry trees, persimmon, Feijoa, Sicilian “common” banano, hazelnuts.

I’m also interested in truffles, but my ground unfortunately is not suitable and moreover I would like to find a california gold banano bud,

In my routine time I’m a teacher and a theatre author, and… that’s all! Thanks for your attention!

14 Likes

Very interesting grape collection, congratulations and welcome! :+1:

1 Like

Welcome Luca, I am Mrs. G and I am in the south of France! Many grapes here! I also live in an area where black truffles grow. We have our festival every January.

2 Likes

Great! And french wine is excelent! I just took viognier (that is a frech grape) a couple of weeks ago… are you interested in grape?

2 Likes

Yes, but unfortunately no room.:cry:

You don’know how I understand you… I’ have plans very much bigger than my land! We plan to move to Tuscany and buy more ground… for now are just dreams…

3 Likes

Luca,
Welcome to the forum. It is nice to add another grape enthusiast and another European to our group.

I would like suggest you put a summary of your fruit growing background in your profile, please. Many people like to look up people’s profiles to get ideas what interest and/or experience in growing fruit the persons have.

Please feel free to start posting your knowledge and inquiry in the General Fruit Growing category. I am sure it will be well-received.

5 Likes