Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Hello! My name is Ivy I’m new here, I want to talk about what I’m doing. I grow my vegetables and herbs in the garden, mainly cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, hot peppers, onions, garlic, etc. I also do canning, my friends say that it comes out delicious. I’m thinking about opening my own small shop, while online, I just would like to share my harvest and earn some money :wink: I hope it’s cozy and friendly here

11 Likes

I wish you well with your future shop. I don’t know what to tell you other than to be very organized and have good working space. You will be liable if anything that you have canned were to cause sickness and you probably should get permits and inspections if you sell beyond just friends. You will need liability insurance. Once you get going you could bring in a nice bit of money. Don’t use or take Bitcoins.

6 Likes

Welcome Ivy!

1 Like

Thank you! I enjoy them both a lot. :grinning:

I bet the coast there is beautiful. I’ve only been as far north on the Oregon coast as Tillamook when I was a child and up here in Washington, we’ve only been on the northwest coast, so I have a whole section of the Pacific coastline to explore. :slight_smile:

@noogy That’s neat about the Spanish common names. I’m going to have to see if that is the same in French, too. Spanish is probably more useful as a whole in the U.S., but I took four years of French in high school, so that was what I felt more comfortable in guiding our children in. At least Latin and French will provide a head start if they decide to learn Spanish. :slight_smile:

@swincher Thank you for the offer of the hardy avocado trial seedlings- I’d love one! I’m on the waitlist for a potentially cold-hardy (ish) criollo avocado seedling from Johann’s Gardens (JohannsGarden here on the forum) Is this one of the varieties you’re trialling? I’m game for killing anything once! This winter was colder here than the past few years (we got down to 14 F), and the casualties were small one-gallon ‘Kakariki’ and ‘Anatoki’ pineapple guavas, some sea oats, a ‘Desert Apple’ opuntia, and one of my two ‘Villarica Strawberry’ Chilean guavas. I hadn’t accounted for being probably two growing zones colder since my plants are in pots. I’ll do better next winter. :wink:

1 Like

Great! I’ll put you down.

Yes! He got me some budwood from the parent tree and I grafted it on a few of my trees just a few weeks ago. Looks like at least one of the grafts has taken, so hopefully I’ll be able to include those genetics in future years.

I’m expecting that most of the seedlings produced in my trial won’t be hardy here, but the goal is to produce a large number of seedlings criss-crossing dozens of allegedly hardy cultivars, with the hope that some small percentage of those may be truly hardy for us here. So there’s a good chance the first seedling I deliver will indeed die, or at least die back to the roots every winter. But year after year I’m hoping to hone in on which crosses produce the hardiest trees, and start back-crossing those, so that maybe 15+ years from now I’ll be able to distribute trees that have a decent chance of long-term survival & at least occasional fruiting success.

Yup! My low was 16°F during that end-of-December freeze, which killed my (outdoor) first-year avocado seedlings to the ground. Most of them are still regrowing from their bases, though!

That’s probably enough chatter for this intro thread, but I’ll PM to give more details on the avocado trial timeline & cultivar options.

I don’t want to be a bad guy.

However, this is the introduction thread which is very long to begin with. We would like to keep it as an introduction and short welcomes.

Please post fruit related info and/or questions/answers in other relevant threads. Thank you.

5 Likes

Hey everybody, I’m here to learn more about growing fruit at high elevation and share my experiences in commercial agriculture.

I own a mushroom farm and have worked in a number of other types of agribusinesses. I am currently adapting my (existing) tissue culture lab to work with plants in addition to the fungi we’re doing.

18 Likes

Welcome from another new member, FungoliaFarms! :slight_smile:

Your work sounds very interesting. There’s so much fascinating research on fungus being “unearthed” over the last few years and we probably still don’t know the half of it.

4 Likes

Greetings! We are primarily a mushroom farm but we also grow figs trees and a variety of fruits. We look forward to learning and sharing here!

8 Likes

It’s been a few years since I was in CMGN, how are you doing?

After Eric Meyers started leaking my techniques onto YouTube and not giving me credit I quit Facebook entirely. That no soak grain method that everyone started doing originated when I stopped by TR’s place and gave him the exact measurements and an explanation on ratios.

2 Likes

Yeah Tr and Eric are pretty tight. That was not right. Meyers is known for crap like that. I’m not a fan. I’m really sorry that happened to you, man. I would be so passed. Glad to see you on here. Are you growing any fruits now?

Hello, I’m Elaine! I stumbled across these forums a few months ago, and I was delighted to see some names from the old gw site! (I only lurked there, but they were the only reason my Meyer lemon survived its first year.)

My goal is to convert my suburban yard into a more edible landscape, so just a newbie. I’m hoping that getting involved in the community will help me avoid overanalyzing and stalling out.

As far as climate goes, I live close enough to Lake Erie that I’m technically Zone 6b. But I’m still figuring out the quirks of lake effect, and I don’t want to lose my progress to the next polar vortex.

13 Likes

Welcome Elaine!

1 Like

Welcome Elaine! Glad you decided to join and looking forward to your progress. “Analysis paralysis” is something I can relate to :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, thought I would do a short introduction. I’m Nate. I’m really excited about growing fruit and am trying to pack in as much as I can on a small lot. I just started gardening in 2019 when we bought our first house, but didn’t really start planting fruit until 2021. We’re on a 40 x 150 ft city lot in zone 4b Minnesota.

I have planted pretty densely with shrubs and flowers underneath fruit trees – I’m sure there will be lots of thinning in my future! I have a lot to learn and this seems like an amazing place to do that.

My garden choices have been heavily inspired by Edible Acres on Youtube, and by the books Gaia’s Garden by Toby Hemenway, Paradise Lot by Eric Toensmeier, and Edible Paradise by Vera Greutink, among many others.

Here’s a list of most of my woody plants:
Fruit trees
Apples (GoldRush, Liberty, Brown Betty)
Plums (Alderman, Waneta, P. americana seedling)
Cornelian cherry (Elegant, Red Dawn, seedlings)
Asian Pear (Shinseiki)
Mulberry (Illinois Everbearing)
Cherry (Evans Bali)
Persimmon (Meader)
Shipova (Baby)
Pawpaw (seedlings)
Peach (seedlings)

Nuts
Chestnut (hybrid seedlings)
Hazelnut (hybrid seedlings)

Understory shrubs
Juneberries (Regent, Honeywood, Parkhill, Obelisk)
Gooseberries (Hinnonmaki Red and Yellow, Captivator, Pixwell, Jahn’s Prairie)
Haskaps (Aurora, Indigo Treat, Honey Bee, Berry Blue, Boreal Blizzard)
Blackcurrants (Ben Sarek, Consort, Delindmoi, DTV, R. americanum seedlings)
Red currants (Red Lake, Imperial White, seedling)
Clove currant (Crandall, Black Topaz, Missouri Giant)
Jostaberry
Viburnum (V. trilobum, V. lentago)
Nanking cherry

Vines
Hardy kiwi (Anna, Chiang Bai, Prolific, Meader male)
Arctic kiwi (Red Beauty, Pasha male)
Schisandra (Eastern Prince)

12 Likes

Welcome aboard, Elaine. I think we have a few members here near you. I just don’t remember who !!!

1 Like

Wow, you really do have it all packed in there! I hope it all does great for you.

Keep in mind that Illinois Everbearing and kiwis are very vigorous once established. They can grow 8 ft in a season.

1 Like