Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Welcome Jenn! I am also in Montreal and am a few seasons in on my journey with peaches, plums, pears, apples and small fruits. This is a great place to learn.

1 Like

Hi @ainsley
I would love to know what varieties of peach, pear, plum and apples you are growing and how you like them?

Welcome Jenn and @ainsley.

May I suggest that you (all members, in fact) provide info about your fruit growing experience in your profiles? This way anyone can look it up and get to know you better.

After you joined and read the forum for a while, you will be able to private message others using a symbols of a blue envelop. If you do not want to post your question in the fruit growing category, you can pm other members then.

Again, I apologize to have say this again, please keep this thread to Introduction only. I suggest that other inquiries be posted in other category on the forum, please.

2 Likes

Hello all! I am Lisa and I am growing a bit of everything in Richmond, VA, in a little less than half an acre. I cant remember when my interest in gardening started, I think it was always there. My mom grew many banana, papaya, guava in India. My apartment had more plants than furniture - see there is a pattern here :D. When I got my house, was overwhelmed as I didnt know where to start. Would randomly pick a spot and started plantingā€¦the first few were roses, a stick of Santa rosa plum and more roses. Tried my hand at veggie gardening and made all kinds of mistakes. Have hard clay soil and digging a hole took forever back then. I have been steadily piling mulch in the back and front yard and have very rich top soil now. Planted pair each of dwarf apples and pears that to this day have not done anything but take up space. Have about 15 fig trees (hardy chicago, green ischia, peters honey, flanders, osborne prolific, celeste, turkey brown, beers black, olympian, violette de bordeaux(found at lowes of all places), lsu purple and some more I cant remember right now)ā€¦got majority of them from ucdavis, back when they were nice towards home gardeners. Have about 2 or 4 poms, out of the 10 that propogated from ucdavis. Poms in my yard seem to suddenly turn yellow and die. Also, have one matsumoto Fuyu from edible landscaping that is a prolific producer on a tiny tree(#450 persimmons was the last count). Last week got honey jar, sugar cane from edible landscapingā€¦for anyone looking they have bare roots now( 50$ each and its a good size). It was very hard to get 2 as they also had Shanxi li, the Gā€¦66, Li and lang, and the contorted SO. In addition have over 200 roses, several herbs( both edible and medicinal), 5 or 6 blueberry varities(lost the tags, they were propogated from ucdavis cutting), a monster thornless blackberry, several raspberries, some everbearing strawberries and pawpaw. Want to try 2 things this year:

1. grafting: seems insane that i never tried it. So now I am itching to start. Have a massive turkey brown, that has blah flavor, it is about 15x 7 that will be the root stock.
  2. zone pushing: plant my musa banana(indoor in a pot right now), lemon plant , curry plant outside, cover it up for winter and see if it survives zone 7a. Loved reading your stories in this post, nice to meet you all.
12 Likes

Hi @Plisa and welcome to the forum! I live in Brownsburg VA zone 6b. I have sons in Richmond and Charlottesville so Iā€™m up your way often. I lived in Richmond for about 25 years myself. Try graftingā€“you would love it! I look forward to hearing more from you on this site!

@Rosdonald Thank you! I will definitely post my updates.

Iā€™ve got your points here. Many thanks.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

New member from the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, CA, zone 10a.

My ambitious plans and love of gardening have filled our relatively tiny backyard with several raised beds for veggies as well as:

Citrus

• Meyer and Eureka lemons
  • Late Lane Navel orange
  • Cara Cara orange
  • Moro blood orange
  • Oro Blanco grapefruit
  • Nagami kumquat

Stone fruit and others (all planted just over 1 year ago):

• Loquat
  • Dwarf everbearing mulberry
  • Evaā€™s Pride, Red Baron, Babcock peaches
  • Double Delight nectarine
  • SpiceZee nectaplum
  • Weeping Santa Rosa and Burgundy plums
  • Flavor King pluot
  • Sweet Treat pluerry
  • Gold Kist apricot
  • Cot-n-Candy aprium
  • Fuji and Pink Lady apples

Just planted a 4-1 Asian pear combo before all the rain were getting now in SoCal.

Clearly so much for me to learn and experiment with!

15 Likes

Hello, everyone! I joined a few days ago, although Iā€™ve been visiting the forum for awhile.
Iā€™m a gardener from Bosnia, growing fruits and vegetables for the family, love grafting, used to be a beekeeper, have agricultural education.

19 Likes

Welcome aboard. Itā€™s a great grup of people to be among.

2 Likes

Welcome, Nihad! What are some of the fruits and vegetables you grow?

1 Like

Thank you.
Some apples, pears, (sour) cherry, currants, strawberriesā€¦ few of everything; then, potato, onion, carrots, beetroot, beans, some cornā€¦ thatā€™s some of it.

6 Likes

@niamul21

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the group . Nice to have another San Fernando Valley Member.

1 Like

Thank you!

Amazing how much rain weā€™ve been getting. Hopefully this doesnā€™t mean high risk of disease for the small home orchard. I only got one round of horticultural oil spraying done before we started getting all this rain.

Every few posts of introduction, I need to show up and remind people to please use this thread as introduction-only.

Anything else that would end up being back and forth conversations or discussion, please move it to a new thread in the correct category.

This thread is very long. Letā€™s keep it for Introduction, please.

4 Likes

Hi, My name is Chris and I live in Rotterdam, NY 5B. Iā€™m new to fruit trees, donā€™t have any yet just trying to learn a little bit first. I wish I started research earlier because it looks like Iā€™m at the very end of scion season. I have experience with Blue, black and raspberries and vegetable/ fruit/ flower gardening.

I have always loved Nectarines and plums the most, which seems less than ideal for 5b but still figuring it out. I think Iā€™m going to have to try to zone stretch the spice zee nectaplum using woodchip, leaves and a frost cover. I suspect my subclimate is slightly warmer in the winter than people living near me because Iā€™m almost right on the mohawk river, I hope.

I only have a .33 acre yard, but I think I could accommodate somewhere between 10 and 20 fruit trees easily. Going to start with at least one or two this year. Hopefully I can get a plan together in the next few days, order some rootstock and get something going.

7 Likes

Welcome all of the new members who introducing themselves here. May I suggest that in addition to your zones, please you add your location to your profile? (the state and/or county for those in the US, and the country for those living overseas).

Zone alone wonā€™t tell us much. Zone 8 in the east coast is quite different from zone 8 in California. Zone 7 in New Zealand would like be different from Zone 7 in France.

Knowing your location, people here will be able to give you more relevant answers to what fruit tree problem you may have.

4 Likes

Hey, I suppose I should write a intro.

I grew tropical fruits for ten years, now i am three years into temperate short season German climate zone 7a.

We have planted about 5 hectares (10 acres?) Someday I might make a post describing the layout and document some growth itā€™s a head full as you can imagine. :smiley: My favorite are Pears, Persimmons, Apple, Cherry, Hazelnut, Currant, Haskap and plum. :green_apple: :pear: :cherries: :strawberry:

7 Likes

Hey there from 6B/7A central PA. Iā€™ve been away for a while and never introduced myself when I first registered. Iā€™ve been following some of you since the Gardenweb days.

I have 2/3 of an acre yard on a south facing slope. We took down about half the trees 4 weeks ago so the yard went from 85% shaded to maybe 40% shaded. Have some berries, 2 Carmine Jewels, and 2 prunus mume. Looking to add the usual low/no spray fruits, but will probably succumb to trying stone fruits at some point.

If anyone living around Harrisburg/Lancaster/York/Baltimore area want to try a couple Red Fern Farmā€™s seedling Chinese chestnuts (mixed lot), PM me. I somehow ended up with 25 of them when I can hardly justify space for 2. LOL

6 Likes