Jaboticaba in Vista CA

Jaboticaba do not like temps below 35* but will survive.

1 Like

I recommend the P. phitrantha, esp. Sapucaia.

Thanks for the recommendation, @Richard … Sounds like a superior type from the little bit of reading I did.

I’m jealous seeing your well established tree as well. I had several pitanga here for quite a while too. I grew them from seed gleaned from ECHO in Ft. Myers and they were of the tastier black fruited type. They were perfectly happy growing here in a pot. I even grafted one in the hopes is would flower and fruit but it did not. Tempting as it is to try, I do have to wonder at the likelihood of a tropical lowland plant ever really liking it here. All of the things I have had success with are adapted to some degree of extended cold usually by going at least semi-dormant, and flower in spring based on photoperiodism that’s at least somewhat in sync with my location at 43 degrees latitude.

1 Like

Well, it does not freeze at my location, nor does it drop below 40 for more than a few hours – and then only a half-dozen times per year. But downhill a little east from here they have ice in the street every winter.

care to share your stories of failure with ugni…

for some reason I really want to spend too much to try this fruit. I’ve killed 4 of these and still haven’t tried a single ripened fruit.

I’m chasing it again this year, with 2 year old plants.

Scott

Not much to tell really. I’ve only killed one, and have lately been thinking of trying again. It didn’t seem to like wintering over in the basement, but I also struggled to give it the right amount of water and proper light regime the whole time it was alive. It didn’t appreciate the extremes inherent in pot culture here in New England was my take away, though I could be wrong. I HAVE eaten the fruit at the former Luther Burbank farm in Sebastopol, CA. It’s exceptionally good IMO.

1 Like

Mine are ok in pots under lights in the basement until about late Feb and then they seem to die of dehydration (possibly root rot) before I can get them back outside.

I grew up in New England (RI) and hang my hat in Michigan now.

My plan is to sink one in the ground here this summer and overwinter surrounded by hay bales, ala make-shift cold-frame.

Scott

Tony, if graft a stick from a tree that has fruited, it will speed up fruiting sooner.