Jaboticaba not doing much

The one and only one gave me this third yield, starting in December, pick some this week. This is mine going on about 10 years.

4 Likes

Bob, your beautiful tree was an inspiration for me to get mine. Do you prune the interior of the tree or do shaded branches autoprune?

Mine has put on quite a bit of growth but looks more like a shrub.

What size pot is that beauty in?

Water is important, p/h also important, hollytone fertilizer and micro nutrients helps. Large Saucer to hold overflow. Lastly, a 20gl container. Root pruning, every 3 year or 4. Pruning? Keep interior clean. Some shade helps. Morning sun helps. Hot afternoon not much help. You’re good to go!!
Forgot!,hot noon temp not much help! Soil? Add Turface, peat, pot will be heavy(perlite?) My local landscaper store sells a Turface equivalent product for $14.50(50lb) Good enough for 4or5 trees.

2 Likes

@aap

How do you like the taste of the fruit? Is the fruit of Jaboticaba worth the trouble? Acai, i would consider it to be worth the trouble, but the few i saw in Florida are huge palms. Grew a small pomelo / grapefruit hybrid here that were very delicious. Oranges are very easy to grow. Failed miserably at pineapple it stayed alive years growing very little and never produced fruit. Lychee and chocolate are on my list some day to grow but it will be very difficult. Papaya are super easy i grew them by accident dumping the seeds out. They grow like weeds but i dont like the flavor. Guava i want to grow sometime i love them!

Clark, when I bought my tree from a very knowledgeable Jaboticaba nursery owner, Flying Fox, he advise me growing Jaboticaba in Arkansas, red Jaboticaba was his advice, foolproof, taste wise might not be the best he sells.
For me, it’s plenty good, don’t need an other one. It gives me plenty satisfaction.
When it comes to fruit tasting, my collection is plenty good to excellent. Mango and peach are my alltime favorite fruits. Figs? Not so much, mandarin/pomelo/pears be next inline.
All others are “fine”!!

1 Like