Japanese beetles in apple trees

Looks like it’s probably one of those Mexican fruit beetles. I could tell better by size and the top view. These babies are several times the size of a june bug or japanese beetle.

That’s what they are. Pretty harmless so I can relax. Thanks!

JBs update. After 2 applications of Sevin dust. The last few days I only saw a couples of them. I hope this madness is over.

Tony

It doesn’t sound crazy to me, but by next year they will be too tall for it, unless you plan to purchase an Ag Cat or something. There is the problem with the leave’s undersides, but they make “dusters” that can apply it pretty effectively.
I notice the newer cans have that salt shaker type top on them and they waste a lot of product.

Apple

You are right about wasting the powder from the big opening. Next year I will try to use a large paint brush to apply the tip of the branch only with all the new leaves. For all the tall trees I will use the liquid Sevin.

Tony

beetleGONE! is a new BT product that controls Japanese beetle adults. It is in the 2015 Michigan Fruit Management Guide under the new insecticide section. It is on the USDA National Organic Program positive list for organic fruit production. There is also some anecdotal reports that it controls flea beetles. beetleGONE! is registered for all fruit crops and because BT strains are very specific it leaves the bees buzzing blissfully.

Kurt, you should disclose any connections you may have with beetleGone.

3 Likes

Gardens Alive (sic) is also selling something called Beetlejus, I think @Drew51 said he was using it for the first time this year, I believe it is a systemic like Milky Spore.

Beetlejus Beetlejus Beetlejus

Yes, Garden’s Alive makes a form for grubs and one for adult beetles. I have been using the adult beetle form of BT. So far it seems to be working very well. Beetles feed for a few days then they are gone. New beetles keep coming in, so how effective is up in the air. I even found some dead beetles. The damage to my plants is minimal, so appears to be working. I’m happy with the product.
Of course I used Milky Spore, but too many neighbors (all of them) do not. I’m hoping the dead beetles will inoculate the soil as they bodies of the dead beetles are now BT bacteria factories.

OK sure, I am a licensed crop consultant and I have been involved with the development and field testing since 2006. Nearly all field studies of current formulas and early prototypes were conducted by independent 3rd parties at land grant institutions such as Michigan State, University of Wisconsin, CT Research Station, UC Davis, Cornell,Ohio State, North Carolina State, U Mass., New Hampshire, Nebraska, etc. One can argue who has the best football team but they all do excellent insect control research.

1 Like

Yes it is the same critter " Bacillus thuringiensis galleriae" in both products.

Mike

Kurt, are you employed by the manufacturer of this product? Can you point us in the direction (via links etc) where the university research reports are located concerning field tests of this product?

It all sounds great, and I’m certainly interested, but I have to admit, I’m also a bit skeptical.

Bt I think (perhaps I’m mistaken), has had issues with resistance development when used in other venues, is that a significant concern with this product?

We had record heat for a couple of days and I didn’t cruise the orchard looking as I had sprayed everything several times. Then we had real downpours for a couple of days…gotta love the weather…and yesterday I went out to look around. The JBs were back worse than ever. Spayed Sevin + Spectracide, and I swear the #$$%^^ things were waiting for me to go on to the next tree and then continuing to feed. Yes, they were dying, but I made two rounds and found bugs on all the trees I had already sprayed still able to fly, so I assume they came in after I hit those trees. So I sprayed some of the trees, like a big crab apple and pecan near my orchard, hoping to remove those havens. I posted a pic of the plum they like best a while back. It looks much worse now.

Chuck

In my area, JB is not as bad as last year. I don’t need to use any chemicals, just hand pick them morning and afternoon. Surprisingly, they much prefer to a type of weed growing in the yard

This is an interesting phenomena that I have observed as well…makes me think that planting “weed” beds that are popular with Japanese Beetles might provide some relief to plants and trees that we are trying to protect.

One of my worst sites for Japanese beetles has the best self sustaining 5 acres of native prairie I’ve ever seen real close to where trees are infested. The only way it likely helps the fruit trees is by providing lots of food for native pollinators (along with numerous pests). Unless, of course, the trees enjoy the view of it as much as I do. Happy fruit trees definitely produce sweeter fruit. I’m totally faith based convinced of that.

1 Like

Looks like my JB have gone for the season. Now I’m dealing with aphids. Bill

Sorry for my slow reply.
Yes, If you go to the website phyllombioproducts.com you will find links to a
lot of product info. Phyllom provides Gardens Alive with beetleJUS!. GA are presently the only
distributor direct to home gardeners. GreenEarth Ag & Turf,
CT,MA,RI,PA,ME,VT,DC,MD,DE and Carlin Horticultural Supplies, WI,IL,MN,ND
will distribute beetleGONE! to Garden Centers & commercial
orchards/vineyards etc. As mentioned beetlegone is included in the 2015 MI
Fruit Management Guide. U MD, has trials underway now on ornamental nursery
plants.It works great against adult Japanese beetle with no bee kill.
regards,
Kurt
Phyllom BioProducts, Licensed Crop Consultant