Jerry Lehman's Orchard Fall 2017

This photo is notoriously known. Looks like it’s been taken in Japan. What strikes me most is that the tree is completely leafless at harvest which points to the fact that it is a late persimmon. It’s been a while and no other photos of it appeared since this (probably only) one…very strange.

My JT-02 I pruned to a Vase form instead of a Central leader like his. I took so many Scions of it in February to graft my Seven 4 years old American Persimmon rootstocks and I am hopeful it still give me some fruits. BTW,. I think that is Cliff England JT-02 tree and the guy is his Korean Wife relative that helps his 2000 fruits and nuts trees orchard. He used those White tree tubes. Harbin, do you grow any NB-02. I am planning to graft a couple for trial. I have heard it was real cold hardy to -16F at Cliff orchard.

Tony

4 Likes

No, NB-02 is not on my wish list. I am currently testing new ukrainian varieties and that’s plenty for my needs.

1 Like

Some of my Asians get knocked down to the ground during a cold winter. Then, they come back with multiple stems. I have been cutting most of the stems back and just keeping one. I wonder if I left a few with a multi-stem, kind of a shrub structure - if that would help them handle a particularly cold winter. Any experience in this regard? Thanks.

Z6a is still not warm enough for Kaki to survive in some cold Winter that dropped the temperature beyond -9 F. The tree will re-sprout low with multiple leaders and it will take several years to fruit and it will die back with another cold Winter. Your best bet is to topwork it low with JT-02 or Kasandra. They are very cold hardy and tasted very good just like Kaki and you don’t have to worry about die back in your Z6A.

1 Like

I have ordered JT-02 from Cliff England for this Fall. A little update from my place and and ask for other input. My Rossayankas, Zimas and Kassandras all have fruit for the first time (three year old since graft), but my Ichis and Nikitas Gift dropped their fruit in the last two weeks. Has your experience also been that the true Asians have more trouble keeping their fruit to maturity vs the hybrids? Just a reminder I am in 6A/6B.
Thanks, MattR
ediblelandscaping.sc
@BambooMan
@SMC_zone6
@tjasko
@Barkslip

2 Likes

My experiences are just the opposite. However, I live in zone 8a/8b. My Asian persimmons are some of the most precocious fruit trees I grow. Quite often my small potted newly-grafted trees want to develop fruit, which I don’t allow of course. Sometimes I don’t notice these fruitlets until late summer, by this time they are about 75% developed. My pure Virginiana and Rosseyankas take the longest to come into production. Complete speculation: Asian persimmons require a longer growing season; are prone to large fruit sets and larger fruit; and the suspected compatibility issues with various rootstock may demand more of these trees, which may not be easily provided depending upon your climate, soil conditions, etc.

1 Like

Do you know if Cliff England had any more JT-02s. His website says he is sold out.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about Kaki’s and all I know currently is what I’ve been reading such as Nikita’s Gift taking multiple years of dropping fruit until finally (year 4-5 of dropping) the fruit is kept.

I can’t answer about American persimmon either. bambooman and @ediblelandscaping.sc & @tonyOmahaz5 know more than I do.

Dax

1 Like

NG is very picky to hold on to the fruits. Changes in moister and with any fertilizer then it will aborted the fruits. It took 4 years to have 3 fruits for me. Very good, real sweet tasting soft ripen fruits. I just topworked it to JT-02 this May.

Tony

4 Likes

I had a decent crop of Nikita’s Gift, as you call it, last year. All I can say is plant a male D.virginiana nearby…and Bob’s your uncle.

14 Likes

Wow, Harbin, are all of those crates NG? I have two NGs, with one that always experiences more fruit drop than the other. I don’t believe there are any male persimmon trees around, but there must be because I get seeded fruit.

1 Like

I think it’s hit or miss and dependent on variety. I bought NG at the same time as saijo and fuyu imoto. Saijo and fuyu imoto are pure kaki. The NG fruited before the saijo and fuyu imoto. The NG, however, was prone to greater fruit drop than the others as they all got bigger.

3 Likes

Four crates of NG from about 4-5 trees. The one in the upper right is Hoverla. But NG is tastier.

3 Likes

Beautiful! I wish my NG were that productive!

2 Likes

How old is your Nikita’s Gift? Nice crop. BTW Giboshi (Smith’s Best) takes about ten years here to even think about holding a crop. But it tastes very, very good.

3 Likes

Isn’t NG supposed to be dark red when fully ripe? After all, the original name is Nikitskaya Bordovaya (“bordovaya” in Russian means Bordeaux–colored).

1 Like

Thanks! Your speculation make sense to me. I do believe the compatibility issues, cold winters, and shorter growing season will show an impact in some way. Having said that - I am still excited to see what my hybrids and true Asians will do over the next few years.

1 Like

Man! Those are impressive pictures and production. THANK YOU. Maybe in two or three years I can share similar. I have several Asians now that I have grafted (using arrowhead technique) to larger American persimmons and I had pretty good success rate. But, I have a long way to go before fruit production.

1 Like

I do believe he is sold out. ANd I may not get mine this Fall. This is a replacement for a Zima that died last spring. I have read so many positive things about JT-02 (on this site) that I wanted to try one.

3 Likes