Jerusalem Artichoke and Groundnut (Hopniss)

I actually just washed them thoroughly and fermented them whole in brine:

Since I wrote that post, I feel like the flavor balanced out quite a bit. My brother really liked them and I sent him home with a jar. I should crack open another jar tonight and see how they’re faring. I like to take the pickled tubers and slice thinly.

3 Likes

Cool. I just like them sliced thin and baked with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. SO MUCH.

I’ve never tasted groundnuts. They just should like fun.

I was planning on trying one of the Sunchoke varieties Oikos says is clump forming. If it’s not I’ll be one more person learning a lesson often learned…

@Itmaybejj
So I have done all most exactly what you proposed.
Although the artichokes where there first , and well established.
Planted ground nuts on either side ,the ground nut are thriving,but seam to be heading" away from "the artichokes .
I would have thought they would have mingled more. And maybe they would if planted at the same time . Both seam to be thriving, but maybe not playing well together.
No plans to grow anything else in that area in the foreseeable future… As I believe it may be all but impossible to eradicate
Either one !
Will be fun to see who wins. May not be me ?
So… Be carful what you wish for.

2 Likes

Harrumph. Thank you; that has me rethinking.

Other comments…
Jerusalem artichokes are a amazing plant. On good ground they can produce more organic matter ( both above and below ground) than about anything I have seen.
They store great in the ground,
I just don’t eat that many , but it’s a good food source if you need it. Survival food. Care free. May try the ferment mentioned above. Hard to get rid of. Can/ will slowly spread.
Great in the right place. By there self, or of to the side somewhere. ?
Ground nuts I really like the flavor etc. would eat a lot of but, hard to dig in my clay soil, would be best in a sandy soil. And it too is a very aggressive plant. But a vine that spreads.
Deer will eat the vines if they can, feed value better than alfalfa. They like something to climb on
So both are amazing food plants ! In the right spot.
Both could be hard to control. In the wrong spot.
Just need to give them a spot where they can do there own thing. Keep both away from other things you care about.

5 Likes

I made Sunchoke vinegar pickles in the past Need Pickled Sunchoke/Jerusalem Artichoke Recipe - #4 by lordkiwi They came out quite well. The carbohydrates in sunchoke are stored as inulin that breaks down to fructose after cold cycles. This is going to turbo charge any lacto pickle.

I need to get ready to pickle my stash I have a trash can full of them out back

2 Likes

I agree vinegar pickles would be the way to go once they sweeten up. I did my ferment while mine were still mostly inulin. Theoretically, the microbes break down the inulin for you.

1 Like

There’s a thread on Permies where they recommend a bunch of different methods for cooking and preparation. The winning methods for dealing with the inulin so far: fermentation or freezing. Apparently freezing them for at least a week turns the inulin to sugar. Folks in colder regions liken them to candy out of the ground after winter, so chucking them in the freezer makes sense in that regard.

I sent out for three varieties from OIKOS. Supernova for sweetness, Red Fuseau for a standard red variety, and Spindel for strong (yet not bitter) flavor. I’ll report how they do in my tropical heavy clay once they arrive and I’ve grown them for a season.

3 Likes

Jerusalem artichokes and groundnuts are exceptional vegetables in my opinion, groundnuts may be my favorite vegetable. They taste like a cross of peanuts and potato and are very good roasted. I also really like jerusalem artichokes roasted and in stir fries as well as raw.

7 Likes

Was already planning to try Jerusalem artichokes. You folks have given me more to think about. Thanks!

i only realized jerusalem artichoke was edible about 5 yrs. ago. they grow all over old farmland here. i just thought they were a perennial sunflower. i imagine the old-timers must have eaten them as well. i dug some from a patch on a old road near here last summer. ones i got were huge and white. i found them pretty good but the wife didnt care for it. i wonder if the named cultivar ones are even better? i planted red and whites last fall.

1 Like

When you harvest makes a difference as does how you prepare them. Spring harvesting will be sweeter fall will be more vegitable. You can boil them I also make deep fried chips that taste like or couse artichokes.

@robjohn Dont worry they are not as hard to control as people complain about. Just keep them mowed and they will exhaust there energy. But try them in a large grow bag or old trash can they grow great, easy to harvest and wont be able to spread.

3 Likes

Great idea about the container. This year I will cut a plastic 55 gal. drum in half and try some in that. At least it will be a start.

The top left is the result of a 5gallon grow bag. In my limited expreance sunchoaks seem to try to run there roots as far as possible and form tubers once they hit resistance. So the 55gallon approach might be counter productive. And overly heavy.

6 Likes

was that 1 seasons growth and how many roots did you start with?

Yes, one season and one per bag. I prefer the red cultivar I had. more knoblely less long. No difference in taste I could detect.

I just opened the way back machine and I bought them initially from www.nortonnaturals.com . I then realized I had a vacant lot full of them but thats another story.

2 Likes

Once they grow, I expect to find they are all around us here. :smiley:

that and other natives

2 Likes

Sunchokes arrived.
sunchoke

4 Likes

Now the question. How do you keep them fresh till spring. Well you can keep them in the bottom tray of the fridge. or you can get a 5gallon bucket and fill it with soil and put them outside.

These are the type of grow bags I use.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grow+bags+5+gallon&crid=3HBMP0J0C96O7&sprefix=grow+bags+5+g%2Caps%2C156&ref=nb_sb_ss_organic-pltr-v2_1_13

1 Like