Joan J Raspberry review

@7catcmom,

I grew up in LA so understand the similar heat and humidity of TX. LSU Ag recommends Dorman Red for southern LA (and they are zone 8/9) so maybe it would be worth a shot

“Raspberries are challenging this far south. The only variety that does reasonably well in Louisiana is Dorman Red.”

best of luck

2 Likes

those look huge - and I though Himbo Top were big

1 Like

Good to know! will hunt for some Dorman Red

@krismoriah … i would consider an improved Heritage raspberry… to include canes that are as thorny… or even more so than Heritage.

Larger & a bit sweeter fruit would be ok.

Producing the same or even more fruit.

It would have to have canes that match or exceed Heritage in vigor/health… desire to root shoot.

And ripen fruit the same time as Heritage… they ripen perfect for me (before and after my SWD pest peak).

Do you know if any of the so called improved versions… would check those boxes ?

I have checked out Caroline… it ripens in my SWD peak… which makes it a serious unimprovement for me.

My birds have a hard time with Heritage thorns… but fruit on less thorny canes they will take most of them.

Removing or decreasing thorns is definately not an improvement for me.

If you read the info on Crimson Treasure…

The fruiting season of the new raspberry plant Crimson Treasure begins at a similar time to Heritage

The fruit of the new raspberry plant Crimson Treasure are most similar in shape to the fruit of the primocane variety Caroline

the fruit of the new raspberry plant Crimson Treasure are longer than the fruit of Caroline and more conic in shape, are more glossy but with similar color at maturity.

then the description goes on to compare Crimson Treasure to Heritage and Caroline…

Also earlier on to note is that the cultivar Crimson Treasure’s main parent is Himbo Top… which rubus chief described earlier.

So in summary Crimson Treasure to me looks to be a replacement for fans of Heritage and Caroline… if you live in the right climate.

Also note that Crimson Treasure is primocane and floricane producing and has equal yields in Fall and Summer.

All info from the patent link i posted above.

2 Likes

If you want a raspberry that tastes like a raspberry, stay away from dorman red.

1 Like

@krismoriah … lots of talk… a few pics…

Best I can tell their improvements included removing most of the spines from Heritage.

That will make them very good for feeding birds at my place.

My main crop will have to remain HR.

it seems like its biggest claim is the extended primocane season (esp vs Heritage)

per the patent “The fruiting season of the new raspberry plant Crimson Treasure begins at a similar time to Heritage and extends as much as 30 days longer into the late season when only late season varieties such as Crimson Giant (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 23,375 P3) and Josephine (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 12,173) had previously been productive. This is facilitated by the branching of the canes and high number of fruiting laterals.”

it seems to be shorter and tops itself to make more laterals but it wouldn’t work in our zone with a much earlier first frost date.

here is a pic of the spines from the patent

full patent

2 Likes

i can do videos too… (i dont grow this variety…just answering your questions and learning as i go too.)

1 Like

well this is a thornless raspberry thread… last year i talked about buying a variety that i have no idea what it is. Its THE most spiny raspberry that i have ever seen but i cannot find any info on it. I think it was some kind of mistake and probably a plant from overseas… I put it in my bird sanctuary so i need to go look and see if i can find it… i totally forgot about it.

Glencoe Raspberry…but its Red and extra extra extra spiny.

1 Like

My Glencoe is definitely purple when ripe. Grows in a clump and not terribly spiny. Not typical raspberry flavor - more blackberry/plum tones to it.

Wow you guys are amazing. I found some of the info but not this much in detail. Looks like I will give Crimson Treasure a try. The spines are small and hopefully even less up top. Also this way I will know which one is the thornless one and separate the rows. Cornell is north of me so hopefully it will be fully productive. Thank you so much for the information.

1 Like

There are not any videos of Cascade Delight except some obscure ones on FB… which is weird… but there are Russian videos which shows that it does and will grow in Russia… I have about 10 of them going and i think it will be one of my best ones… not sure why the US doesnt want to promote them.

Russian Translation- Cascade Delight, a summer raspberry variety with a very sweet berry.

3 Likes

too bad none of them are either hardy here or ripen early enough. had to take out heritage as i only got a partial crop.

1 Like

WOW that looks very good as well. Too bad Indianna berry farm doesnt carry Cascade Delight. I will try to get them both. Crimson Treasure sounds very good because they list it as very high yielding and large fruit. Is Cascade delight also very productive? Also Crimson Treasure is the latest release surely they believed that it is an improvement to something.

This is why im not really into red rasps. This hybrid has me spoiled. I am a huge fan of spines and this one has it in spades.

3 Likes

If/when u get time Rubus Chief and I both posted the links to the details of the plant and i think i even summarized the comparisons to Heritage and Caroline discussed in the invention… so my understanding is that the goal was to improve Heritage and Caroline but i could be wrong. Rubus Chief may explain it better than I do.

If you want to compare and contrast yields and disease issues and fruit sizes of most known varieties including Heritage, Caroline and Cascade Delight along with many others this paper written by Patrick Moore, Bernadine Strick and Chad Finn is very good.

1 Like

@krismoriah … nice spines… birds that land on those would have some sore feet.

I have seen them land on my herritage… but they have a very hard time and dont stay long.

I have Joan J and Purple Royalty in a new bed this year. Glencoe… i would like to try… Cascade Delight… may try a couple next spring.

Ps that fruiting chart above is not coreect for Herritage here in TN. They produce a big crop for a month in the spring … this year may 15 to june 15… lots of berries… then in the fall… late August until first hard frost… normally some time in November they produce fall crop.

They stop producing in the spring just as my blackberries are starting to ripen… which is ideal.
When my blackberries and blueberries are done… it is not long until herritage start producing again.

I am hoping that Glencoe and purple royalty do well here. We will see.

1 Like

Im glad you mentioned this.

The chart is for the PNW and their climate…

If you and Zendog had my Amethyst and the hybrid i posted along with Victory blackberry and lots of others…you would have crops 3 weeks or so before me.

So when i post a fruit its likely 2-3 weeks behind what you would see.

My elevation is low and i am surrounded by more dense forest than a National Park. It is a blessing and the opposite depending on how you look at it.

I get less sunlight hours than most folks as well.

I make up for it by being protected by the heat and cold that some folks say the things that i grow cant be grown in my zone.

So lots of folks on here and social media etc say you cant grow this or that… thats dependent i think. We all have varying climates and elevations.

Glencoe to me has been wimpy so far. Royalty is a vigorous plant… not as vigorous as Amethyst or Wyoming will be. I think u will likely find that Royalty is a nice plant but not so nice berries… maybe u will have luck. Glencoe if u can get it to grow likes to grow like a west coast trailing if u can give it room. It can get 30 foot canes in good conditions. Amethyst however is erect and has very stout strong canes… so it wants to grow like an erect blackberry. Royalty you will enjoy if u like pruning. It just wants to grow like a machine…but the payoff in berries doesnt reflect i dont think. But again that varies with climate.

Are JJ and Himbo Top different in taste, size or ripening time? Just curious why you have both as it sounds like they ripen at the same time.