Jujube cultivars grown in the US

I only have a small graft left that doesn’t grow much year to year. My small tree didn’t survive the winter. I get a few fruit set that most all drop. I have one fruit this year. I don’t expect to taste it. I feel better knowing that you didn’t think it excellent quality! :joy:

2 Likes

I added two new ones -
Hama aka Toad
Xuancheng Jian

4 Likes

And one more new one -

Nanjing

3 Likes

i initially thought it would be painstakingly long and that it will need lots of space, until some of our seedlings started fruiting at less than a foot tall and growing on tiny tin cans! Hindsight now tells me that giving them the spartan(if not darwinistic) treatment could help speed up identifying the precocious and hardy from the laggards and weaklings. Of course, i probably have the advantage of having intense summers and relatively long growing seasons here as seedlings seem to be more precocious here.

where am at, lang seems to exhibit biennial boom and bust patterns as you’ve described

3 Likes

‘Nanjing’

6 Likes

Adding “Hidden Gem”, named by Marta Matvienko in California.

8 Likes

Adding “Lake Dallas”

2 Likes

Adding four more Vegas cultivars:
Vegas Bounty*
Vegas Nasty*
Vegas Pasas*
Vegas Uvas*

And photos posted by “jujubemulberry” in another thread-

8 Likes

With all those varieties, has anyone come up with any that will grow in the North (-30F. Or occasionally colder) without special protection or babying?

2 Likes

You’re essentially dealing with two hardiness issues - is the rootstock hardy, and is the grafted tree hardy. Basically though, jujubes are not reliably hardy even in zone 5.

If there is a tree that has survived somewhere in zone 4, it probably did so because of its microclimate and/or because of a string of warmer than average winters.

4 Likes

Thanks. That’s kind of what I figured.

1 Like

Does anyone know if this is XC 815?

3 Likes

‘Maya’. Very crispy and sweet.

7 Likes

had maya graft several years ago and it was excellent. I sadly lost the branch to some accident…

1 Like

‘Ying Lo’ - a very nice jujube, crispy and sweet.

5 Likes

‘Big Melon’-

The fruit is very dense, maybe the densest jujube I have ever eaten, but it is still very tasty with a very nice flavor. My tree is very small so the fruit would probably be much larger on a bigger tree.

5 Likes

‘Pepper’ jujube. These are from a very small graft so the fruit is not very large and some of the fruit did not fill out completely. This is a very tasty jujube, but it does need to be at least 70-80% brown for good flavor and sweetness.

The photo of the larger fruit is an old photo from a much larger tree.

5 Likes

Just listing ZigZag jujube from One Green World.

1 Like

For anyone who has been growing out the Elk Grove jujube from Katy, she has renamed it ‘Bowmont’:

“FYI to anyone who got “Elk Grove unk jujube” cuttings from me in the past, I’m calling it “BOWMONT JUJUBE” going forward (the mother tree grows on Bowmont way in Elk Grove, ca. ) I found out that’s what my brother has been calling it, so want to maintain consistency”

2 Likes

Some of you may have already seen this on the Jujube Grower group on Facebook, but Dr. Shengrui Yao from NMSU is trying to conduct a genetic study of jujube. Seems like many of you could help. This is her post:

“Unique jujube cultivar leaf samples for genotyping
Hello everyone, I plan to include more jujube cultivar/ selection leaf samples this summer for genotyping purpose to identify synonyms and relationship among cultivars. I DO need your help! For those experienced jujube growers In the U. S., if you think you have a New/unique jujube cultivar/selection and are willing to send 5-8 fresh leaves to me, please feel free to contact/message me. We will figure out a way for sampling. Appreciate your help!”

2 Likes