Jujube Suckers - Best Time to Dig?

Wish we had a “hahaha” button!!!

2 Likes

I’ve got another question regarding suckers… something else I’m probably overthinking as usual. I dug every one I had last week…close to 200 I think and am currently planting the biggest of them out into the field. Once they’re dug it seems difficult to tell how deep they were originally growing. Does it matter how deep I plant them? I’ve been going around 2-4" but am just kind of guessing on most of them. @jujubemulberry , @cousinfloyd , @k8tpayaso or anyone else… do you know the answer? England recommended burying the grafts but since I’ll be grafting in place, this isn’t going to happen. Thanks so much for your help.

2 Likes

I basically have just tried to match them to previous ground level area. I’ve bought trees from England’s and the ones he does are grafted as much as 18-24 inches above ground level. When I asked about it I was told that they have a lot of deer pressure so they graft high. Whatever, but you’re not going to get that graft below ground on my land because of the clay. I figure if you can feasibly plant deep enough to bury a graft site then it couldn’t matter too much about how exact you are on replanting depth. Just my thoughts and lately those are going for cheap…:flushed::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Thanks. That did cross my mind. My thoughts are, like yours, that it doesn’t much matter but I’m frequently wrong.

with jujus, it wouldn’t really matter if you deviate from original depth. I actually prefer to plant suckers(especially tall ones) relatively deep so i won’t have to stake them. The only instance you’d have possible issues with depth is when propagating them out of root cuttings since you have no clue where the adventitious buds along their lengths might be. Thus said, your chances increase by planting them horizontally and shallowly(as long as consistently kept moist), so the viable node/s would be able to reach sunlight rather quickly

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

I just dug up 6 jujube suckers from a friend’s house from under a 15 year old jujube tree. I don’t think root stock will sucker will it? If these suckers are jujube and not root stock, will it be true to type? My friend doesn’t know the type other than its large and sweet fruit.

1 Like

I love that! I guess we all know this well enough!

1 Like

Try poncirus for massive needle thorns… I go out and pinch the needle-like growth before it hardens.

Scott

2 Likes

Chances are if you grew root-suckers that they will also sucker in time.

Jujube plants are grafted on jujube seedlings (though the seedling varieties are usually pretty small fruited.)

Maybe your friend’s jujube isn’t a grafted variety. If that is true then each of the suckers you are growing should produce fruit the same kind of fruit as the original tree.

Good luck…

Scott

4 Likes

Bottom line is i should graft to be safe.

I had to dig out and move my Jujube seedling to a new home. I’m thinking I made a mistake with the timing. I didn’t expect our May to have July temperature. Now the poor juju seedling is looking all ratty and on death bed. I’m going to water like crazy and hope for the best. This was started from
a sugar cane jujube seed couple of years ago. I’m starting to believe large 5 ft jujube tree I ordered online was worth every penny. Though at that time I thought it was expensive, I now realize how slowly they grow compared to peach and pears.

@susu,
Jujube is the one fruit tree that is worth spending money for a larger size, IMO. It appears, under my care, jujube seedlings will take several years to size up big enough for grafting.

@k8tpayaso is so good at growing them from seeds. To me, they don’t not grow fast, definitely not like peaches or even apples.

Yes for sure they are slow growers. My peach seedlings grow 50 times faster it seems like. Reading around, it seems like they are not as moody when it gets to transplanting as say persimmon. Has that been your experience too? @mamuang Hopefully it’ll sulk a bit and bounce back.

My timing when I dug up the suckers last year was bad. It was in the middle of summer. I dug up about 8 and potted them up. They were all small. Kept them in the basement all winter. Look like only 2-3 have started to sprouted new leaves. The rest may not wake up at all.

If you dug yours up in early spring, yours may have a much better surviving rate.

1 Like

I haven’t grown peach or apple seedlings so I can’t speak to that. I’m getting better at getting good growth out of jujube seedlings but I think a lot of it is genetic predisposition. Some of my seedlings shoot up and some will be dwarfish for seasons. It takes feeding them to get good growth. And that still may be far slower than peaches and apples

1 Like

Here are a few of my large seedling trees. They range in size from about 5 1/2 to about 8 feet.

(Please excuse the high grass. It is raining everyday to the point we cannot mow or trim :flushed::flushed:)

1 Like

I confess jujube have been really hard to grow here. My suspicion is im on the fringe of where they can grow. I have established 2 trees out of many i got from my friend @39thparallel. They are hardy enough to survive here and have thorns but not terrible thorns. The sour fruits on the parent plant are delicious. I’m not grafting these over yet im waiting until they grow vigoursly and begin sending out shoots. They are about 3-4 feet tall now.

1 Like