Jujube Vendor Comparison

Cool. How big is the parent tree you moved now?

Jack,

It is about 3 feet tall. It was shaded in the afternoon by the Knightville American persimmon so I had to move it. It got a couple of tiny fruits in a sunny spot now.

Tony

I’m really glad to see it took off for you as tiny as it was when I shipped it.

I emailed Neil from ToA and he responded that they don’t get their trees from DWN. He said a personal friend grows them exclusively for them.

I’ve ordered more from them, as a house that we thought was a flip turned into a long-term rental (3 yr lease). And a few extra, with the idea that I’ll find somewhere for them :slight_smile:

The sucker that was only a few inches tall in post #17 (the first pic) is now over 3’ tall, just over a month later. And that is So, a “dwarfing” variety…

My So grew to maybe 25’ !

L E Cook sells large diameter jujubees too. A local Nursery, Doans, carries them; slightly larger than the DWN trees.

1 Like

I had to give up my jujube trees. Every year they just blossom then the weather start to get cold. They could not set any fruit.
Any one know any varieties of Jujube do well in Seattle zoning? Thank you so much for help. Vincent.

full sun is key, apart from growing the earliest ones.

in our area, the earliest common ones are contorted, honey jar, sugarcane, and li, especially when trees are past sapling stage.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I might try again Honey Jar. Need more information. Hopefully works out. Thank again jujubemulberry. Vincent.

I completely agree. Especially in places which don’t get a ton of sun, you really need to maximize what you get. There is an entire 467 post long thread on getting jujube to fruit in cooler areas, but if you want to see the impact of sun, check out the pic in this post:

I know Honey Jar and So can set good crops in my area, which isn’t all that sunny, though it could have a bit more than Seattle.

1 Like

Thank you very much Bob.
It is very long to read all the post. I will take a lot of time for that.
Any way Could you tell me what varieties of Jujube good for my area ( Seattle 8B, very short and cool summer)? I take a look of Honey jar, Sugarcane, Autumn Beauty, but can’t decide it yet. Can’t not find out what nurseries available for all that if not waiting to next year. Thank you Bob. Vincent.

Vincent, I can’t tell you for sure, as I’m on the other side of the country in CT, but I also live in a relatively humid, not as sunny area, so I would think that what works for me has a decent chance for you. Honey Jar and Sugar Cane are both among the earlier, AFAIK. Both start in mid-September (along with So) here.

Check out the following thread. I think Honey Jar would be my top target and the Honey Jar at EL sounds like as nice of one as you could hope for.

For a secondary tree, you may want to talk to them and see if the So/Contorted or the Sugar Cane would be a bigger specimen.

I agree, and it makes a good read :slight_smile: But if you want the high level, just look at the two pics in the link and the impact a bit more sun has on branches within the same tree.

1 Like

Thank you Bob.
Is honey jar jujube self-fertile fruit tree?

I’ve seen it described as such. But, why take chances with fruitset if the climate is already iffy for it. I’d say to add another just in case. And for more production of a high-brix fruit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have not much room left, but will try.
I will pick 1 more really early season one in cool weather. Do you think Sugarcane and Autumn beauty. Which one better? Thanks

I know Sugar Cane is good, but I haven’t had Autumn Beauty yet. I may have a small graft of it, but 'm not sure. I’ve heard good things about it though. Where do you see AB being sold?

1 Like

They out of stock for this year Bob. I might wait for next year to order.

Have you try Edible landscaping at eat-it.com

Tony

1 Like

if i remember it right, rollingriver only had 6 or 7 specimens for sale when they first offered it(their website has a nifty app which shows a ‘head count’).
thing about autumn beauty is that it seems choosy about growing conditions, just like chico, porterville, ga866 etc… Honey jar seems to be the least fastidious, on top of being early.

1 Like

They still have honey jar for ordering, but we away from home from 1st to 10th of April. I don’t know how quick they will ship out if I order now, or wait until after the trip. Thank you Tony.

I will order Honey jar only.