Jujube Vendor Comparison

I have been looking for the tigertooth jujube for several years and cannot find it. I am even on the wait list at a couple of places but have never been notified of any availability. Does anyone know where I can purchase a tigertooth jujube. please email me at snowdude1968@gmail.com thanks

I don’t see it in stock now, but Just Fruits and Exotics will likely have it in stock again. They have a large mother tree and grow the suckers out. You can give them a call and ask when they will be ready again.

ben in seattle grown Massandra Jujube Tree ™ - Available at One Green World successfully it fruited this year when all the other ones was shy. There are other ones. for me li and lang fruited quite well. the tree were small too. ! You can try winter delight from onegreenworld. heard it is good for cool summers. and a few others like sherwood was recommend for our area. lilang2 they did get ripen more brown a month or so later than when photo was taken.

2 Likes

I knew some varieties do well here but have no more room for now .Thank you so much for information. Happy new year KT

I just ordered Honey Jar jujubes. What do you think about this variety for our area ?
What is it the one in picture? Thank you so much for information KT.

Hi Vincent the one in my photo is lang. I also have Li that fruited as well. I heard good things about honey jar. But i don’t know anyone else growing in PNW. So you will have to share your experience in summer if it fruits. Do you have another variety of jujube for cross pollination with the honey jar?

1 Like

I almost give up but try one more time to plant Jujubes in Seattle areas. I have to remove the others fruit trees to have room. Information said honey jar is self fruitful so I do not plant the other yet. Try to buy Winters delights or Massandra but they have only 1 gallon size. Or I may buy Li jujubes because info said Li self fruitful and seem to do better than Lang Jujubes. Most of orders come in whip ( no branches) it may take a while for fruiting.

well i read that even though it say self pollinating seems as if they are partial. and they do have larger crops with another variety nearby. yeah most is really small 1 gallon size will take a couple of years for it to fruit. larger whip will probably fruit sooner. any of them will be good pollinator. we need more data on jujubes in PNW. : )

1 Like

Vicent,

You can cleft graft other varieties later for cross pollination if needed. @Seattlefigs do you grow pawpaws. They tasted somewhat like Mang Cau.

Tony

1 Like

I thought about grafting as well Tony. Hopefully successfull project .

yes i ate pawpaws before they taste like mang cau. im trying to grow them here too! but there isnt much info either.

2 Likes

@Bear_with_me

He grew pawpaws in Seattle. I got 7 trees here in Nebraska. They can even do well in California.

Tony

1 Like

I’m not in the PNW, but I also get less sun than CA/Nevada/Arizona, etc where they do well. Honey Jar is one of the best, both because of the taste and because it seems to be more willing to set fruit than many others. I second Tony’s idea of grafting something on for pollination.

Aside from Honey Jar, the other variety which has been very productive for me is So. It isn’t quite as good as HJ, but is still excellent. I’ve brought it in to work and people who have never had jujube before are asking for more, even a year or two later. One even had me plant a So in their yard.

1 Like

speaking of which, this spring i will be grafting burntridge’s contorted to your contorted, in the hopes it would conclusively determine whether or not it is a unique subspecies of contorted.

Thank you so much for information which makes me more patient and comfortable to wait. Hopefully Honey Jar do well in my area Bob.

The orders came today. I planted my Honey Jar Jujube in the best spot right in front yard of the house , at least 8 hours daily sun in Summer. Will keep updating here more later.

4 Likes

Looks good Vincent! You are going to like the sweet and crunchy fruits. Each fruit has 60 times more Vit C than an orange.

Tony

3 Likes

Sound very good and I feel so excited Tony.

2 Likes

I’m debating between buying Li from Ison’s or Shanxi Li from Burnt Ridge. What I really want is honey jar but I figured I can always graft next year. I want fruit as soon as possible so I guess the tree size matters. Can somebody tell me what size tree to expect if I order from Ison’s?

Never bought from Ison. When I bought my Shanxi Li from Trees of Antiquity, it had a good size, about
3 ft tall.

Personally, I don’t like the taste of Shanxi Li. It’s too spongy and dry for me. Last year, we had so much rain for so many months. It did not improve the taste or texture. The fruit is large (by jujube standard). That’s the only positive. I am grafting it over to other varieties.

Jujube set fruit the first year you put it in ground. My tiny Massandra gave me (and the deer) 5-6 fruit about 4 months after I planted it. That’s the best feature of jujube, the fruit that does not keep you waiting for a long time (like some pears).

2 Likes