Jujube

I definitely will Jujube and i am very much looking forward to eating some jujubes in the distant future and love the way all of you guys share your knowledge. Tony you really make honey jar sound amazing im all in.

With jujube, you can say in the near future. A Jujube tree can set fruit the same year it is planted. Amazing, isn’t it?

That really is amazing, mine flowered its first year but i never saw any fruit and wasn’t expecting any for a few years. Another plus for me is the japanese beetles never seemed to touch it.

1 Like

The recent rains and warmer temperatures have made all of our trees happy and it has the jujubes moving. The Li purchased from Ison’s in February is really taking off and my tigertooth from Edible Landscaping I planted last fall has finally woken up. I was getting a little worried about that one. I also have a TT sucker in a pot that has been growing vigorously since February.

Li

Tigertooth

6 Likes

Does anyone know what type of Jujube the Farmer Brand is…and has anyone tried regrowing them from their seeds?

These are the most luscious dates you’ll ever taste! They are exceptionally large and soft, with strong caramel notes. Serve them whole for a dessert that will impress your guests, or combine them with other fruits and nuts on a platter.

I would agree with this description, BTW. I’d say these are the best jujubes of the several (medium-priced ones) I’ve tried from the store…

1 Like

Seedling rootsock jujube from edible landscaping. The top “li” died back years ago leaving this seedling. There are other seedlings on my property i got from @39thparallel so im beginning to get a few jujube. These are likely the sour type which i like fine.

6 Likes

I’m looking for cultivars that would do well in middle Tennessee… if anyone has zone info for the jujube.

3 Likes

Any Chinese jujube would grow well in middle Tennessee. So plant whatever you want to grow.

3 Likes

@highforestplanting

Li, Lang , Honey jar etc. would do well for you!

Here are some others you might enjoy Search: 8 results found for "Jujube" – Edible Landscaping

1 Like

In endless readings that’s the best I’ve heard. Thank you!

1 Like

Technically true, but some won’t fruit that well, like GA866.

Lang is another one I’d recommend against, at least if you want it for fresh eating. Li is OK, but it takes a while to produce compared to some others and I haven’t been thrilled with it (not bad, but not top tier, at least so far after ~7 years).

Of the commonly available ones, I’d say Honey Jar, Sugar Cane would be best. Dong would be good for late season. For large fruit, Autumn Beauty and Dae Sol Jo are good. Bok Jo is another good one and massively productive, but not commonly available.

Lots of other varieties described here:

3 Likes

Interesting read…

4 Likes

And we make candied jujubes… they are really good! :yum:

7 Likes

Jujube cake… :yum:

7 Likes

That’s what is special.
This dance…
The plants and their people…
The people and their plants…

3 Likes

Bread made with jujubes… yummy! :yum:

9 Likes

love this!

1 Like

has anyone heard of these new varieties? I saw this person ad on jujube group on facebook.

Planted some jujube trees. Varieties: Snow, Jinsi, Hetian, Tianxian, Guoguang, and Gourd jujube.

I have some for sale here:

https://www.hardtofindtrees.com/product-category/jujube/

1 Like

Jinsi is probably one of the Jinsi series described here:
https://jujube.nmsu.edu/varieties/multipurpose.html

I would have assumed that Hetian is the same as “Hetian Jade”, but from the picture, it looks more like a Lang, while the Hetian Jade I have looks like a Li. So I’m not sure here.

Looks like there are a lot of names for the Gourd one. I grafted both Hulu and Millstone this spring, but don’t have fruit yet to compare them.

Tianxian looks close to a tree that Cliff England has on his list, Tian Xia Di Yi. But I haven’t heard anything about it. The sellers site lists the size as 1.8-4.2 oz. 4.2 oz would be the biggest jujube I’ve ever seen.

Snow sounds interesting- it looks to ripen around the same time as Dong, but can’t be Dong based on the pics.

Pan also looks pretty interesting. In fact, from all their jujubes, only Horse Tooth (Maya) and Dabailing are somewhat commonly available. I’m tempted to add more trees, but feel like that is a bit wasteful given I have over 100 in ground already…I also have no idea about the seller- has anyone here ordered from them before?

1 Like

i think his nursery is new so i don’t know much about it.