Jujubes 2018- New rootstocks in the ground!

I’m hopeful my 7 new jujube rootstocks will do well this year. Here are the parents trees my rootstocks came from that a friend of a friend owns. At the moment I’m more concerned about growing hardy rootstock than growing large jujubes but when I do graft some it will likely be to LI. I like the flavor of the sour jujube rootstock fruits so no doubt I will leave some as is. Anyone else expanding your jujube orchard? 06B4C447-24CA-4764-8BAA-F0E5193BF8E2E3D933F9-5545-413E-B549-D2DCDABB9880AA9C0933-DAAB-4A59-B044-97C750D38C9A
19E55F3F-A56E-422A-82A2-D98CE1CDF3AD

8 Likes

When you have so many jujubes ripening at the same time, what can you do with then?

1 Like

Mrsg47,
They are really nice because once they are dry they keep an infinitely long amount of time. Everyone wants to buy jujubes so extra can also be sold but they are so delicious you might not want to sell them. Of course first I need to grow them first before I have those problems.

2 Likes

you’re not alone in that department. I have actually given(hesitantly) thorny rootstock suckers to folks who like the sweet and sour tiny jujus, despite warning them about the spines and the tendency to sucker . Have also bred from wild-type seed a uniquely flavored sweet-sour cultivar we cheesily dubbed ‘vegas baby’, but the fruits are smaller than hj, and even the herbaceous fruiting branches have the most sinister hooked spines.

incidentally @clarkinks, i have never seen a wild-type juju sucker anywhere in the southwest grow as big as the one you’ve shown in the pictures. Was curious if those branches were from just one tree, or were those from several trunks, like a thicket? The stems seem not spiny at all, so that is a bonus.

2 Likes

Those are multiple trees individually planted together. They will sucker minimally. The flavor is fairly good but unique. The seeds are all capable of growing new jujubes which is the gentleman’s preferred method of propagation though I would take cuttings myself. The seedlings he grows are relatively true to type.

1 Like

very interesting @clarkinks . Really valuable piece of info since you’ve pretty much summarized something which was at least a decade in the making!

1 Like

Thank you @jujubemulberry I look forward to getting advice from you about an additional rootstock planting once i get it under way.

tell me when you’re ready :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As a follow up 3 of the 7 have done well. In 2021 they began producing fruits! I took the photos below in 2022. Honey jar is another good tasting cultivar i might someday graft.

There are much better threads like this one for variety Jujubes- Our New Adventure .in my case i’m fortunate just to keep them alive. At my location i start with tough varities of trees but then need to do my own breeding work long term in many cases. Fortunately much of the work has been done for me with these.

2 Likes