Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Does Autumn beauty very thorny? My AB has very long pins on almost every nod of the twist side branches. I bought AB&WD from Burnt Ridge this year. They are too small to bear any fruit. Just hope I got a right one.

3 Likes

Mine has wicked spikes!

1 Like

Thanks@ [k8tpayaso]!

2 Likes

Does anyone have an Admiral Wilkes that is big enough to cut scionwood?

2 Likes

I have 2 So Contorted that I need to move. They were only planted last April and are under 2 feet tall. Any special considerations I should give when digging them up?

1 Like

@sps46,
It is important to move a tree during dormancy. I assume you know to dig a new hole and have it ready before you move the tree.

When I moved my So a year after planting (like your situation), I just dug mine with soil, put it on a tarp and used a wheelbarrow to move it to a new site. No issue.

Where did you get your So from? There seems to be some variations of So. mine is not a good one.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve moved some small native trees but never a fruit tree or anything exotic.

So is from JF&E. I had read a tip here that it was the “good” variation. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Yes, that should be a good So.

We can move pretty much almost all fruit trees during dormancy even older trees.

1 Like

Can jujube fruit consistently in zone 6? I am in Boston. I have friends have Li and Lang for 4 years, but only blooming, no fruits. Thanks

Go with Honey Jar and Sugarcane in the sunny spot then there will be plenty of fruits.

It depends on varieties. Honey Jar and Sugar Cane bloom and fruit consistently since the first year in ground. I only have Li graft and don’t have Lang sonI do not know how well they cross pollinated.

Are your trees in full sun? Jujubes, in particular, do not set well if grown in partial shade.

thanks

i am in a jujube-friendly zone(las vegas) so not as reliable a reference, but both who’ve responded(Mamuang and Tony) are bonafide out-of-zoners so i totally agree with their input :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your postings and answers. I am new to growing jujube and just ordered some. I am glad that you grow jujube so well in the central MA. That gave me confidence that I can harvest jujube if I plant them well. I am at Norfolk county in MA.

1 Like

Which two jujube are sweet and better for Zone 6 planting? Black sea, Autumn Beauty, Ant Admire and Confetti. I want to select 2 from One Green World. Thanks

1 Like

Black Sea is the sweetest of those 4.

Thank you

Beautiful pictures Raf!

1 Like

Finally had an excuse to remove a Castleton plum (its wood in the right foreground) to make room for my 2nd Sugar Cane and 2nd Honey Jar.

@tonyOmahaz5 , planting more Honey Jar as you have advocated for.!!!

9 Likes

Where are you finding those big trees?