Jujubes- Our New Adventure

No cracking this year, although we had a lot of rain recently. I think that it depends on timing: green fruit is usually not cracking, but if close to ripe it may do so.

Agree. My Sugar Cane was the closet to ripen so they crack 80+%

I don’t know what variety this is. It looks like SC but I never grafted SC to any of my jujube trees.


The fruit was sweet and crunchy.

3 Likes

I sent OGW an email yesterday and they are holding my trees until Nov. After reading their shipment information carefully, I found out they ship by Fed Ex, which means they will deliver to the front door, my trees would be dying in the heat.
Good thing I ordered early when I browsed through their online catalog their jujube inventory is going down very fast.

1 Like

Edible landscaping nursery Li Jujube is huge. 3 inches wide.

7 Likes

That’s impressive.

These are average sizes of each variety of my jujubes.

6 Likes

Orange Beauty is quiet large and starting to ripen now.

6 Likes

I had one the other day, the first I’ve had in a few years. It did not disappoint.

2 Likes

does anyone know any info like when does it ripen, flavor or texture and productivity of these:
pepper
moonlight
teapot
ying lo
nanji
hunan egg
board
goose egg
cool winter
gray
longevity
big melon

I’ve just started picking Moonlight.

It isn’t bad, but doesn’t measure up to Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, and Black Sea. It has some juice to it, but is a bit denser/harder and not as light/crisp.

I was sampling jujubes with the family last night:

Me and one daughter liked Honey Jar the best. The other like Sugar Cane (by a lot), even though it had lower brix, I think due to the light, crispy texture. And my wife thought we were all spoiled prima donnas to be comparing and finding faults in such good fruit. She did admit that Moonlight wasn’t quite as good and she though Chico wasn’t great (kids didn’t like it at all) due to a dryer texture and more sour. But, even that “wasn’t bad and much better than what she gets in Chinatown”.

I told the one who liked Sugar Cane that I wasn’t going to waste any more precious Honey Jar on her :slight_smile: I picked 8 lbs of Sugar Cane from one tree at a rental, while 3 trees of Honey Jar are just starting and I only picked about half a pound. I picked another 1lb of Black Sea, which everyone liked, but was nobody’s favorite.

A lot more should be coming soon. This Honey Jar is in at least half shade, so it will likely be a bit later, but still has a surprising amount of fruit. Enough to bend the branches down.

And this pic shows how Bok Jo is even more productive than an already productive Honey Jar tree:

Fuicuimi is just starting to ripen. The daughter who liked Sugar Cane though highly of Fuicuimi (though to me they are pretty different) and called the texture “fluffy”.

7 Likes

thank you so much! very helpful notes. i guess im looking for a pointy sort of jujube that is comparable to the flavor of crunchy of HJ and SC. blacksea isnt as long and pointy shape that fit that profile. i cant grow tiger tooth or ga866 in my location. do you recommend like maya or massandra? or something else?

You should try Massandra. It is long and pretty sweet and tasty with a crunch.

2 Likes

thank you someone said maya and horse tooth is the same
but i only seen maya and massandra sre quite similar
anyone heard of horse tooth? its late ripening variety and tasty

Mei Mi could be one to consider. It is long enough, but I’m not sure if it is pointy enough, though I don’t know why that is a feature. I actually find the pointy pit to be a negative, as I try not to eat sharp rock-like shards of pit and the thin points make it easy to break off…

Another long one with promise is my new seedling. The first fruit was 23 brix, but it had just started to brown. I’m going to let the last one on the tree hang for a bit to see where it goes. In terms of fruit-size, it is larger than Moonlight (a graft on the seedling).

Tsao is another long one which is pretty good. Though the fruit size is down a bit this year and it doesn’t seem as crisp and juicy as I remember.

It isn’t bad, but like Moonlight, it is a bit more dense than HJ and SC (especially SC). I generally like Massandra/Maya, but have been trying to figure out if it belongs in the top tier with HJ, SC, and BS. Right now, I lean against it and put it in the next tier down (still not bad…). Maybe in the next few days, I’ll do another sampling and compare it with the top 3 and Mei Mi.

4 Likes

i guess tha tsao is the right shape but it is quite smaller size than the maya. is the maya considered as a late ripening for you? is midnight the same as moonlight? new seedling looks good potentional too! how long does it take a seedling to fruit? and what variety did you get the seeds? im curious how does it compare to its mother cultivar. thank you

I think Tsao was a bit larger in past years, but don’t seem to be able to locate a pic. This is my only graft of it, so I don’t have any others to compare to.

No, we’re currently (with Maya ripening) at the early-mid point in the jujube season.

That is me confusing the names. It should be Moonlight. I’m not sure why I’ve used “Midnight” for it several times. I updated the pic.

I’m not sure- I think it was 4-5 years ago and at that time I was mostly planting seeds from So, though it could have been Honey Jar and there’s an outside chance at something else, like Bok Jo or Sugar Cane. It was one of the samples I recently sent to Prof Yao, so the genetic testing may yield some clues.

1 Like

ok cool im just think if for example you grew seedling from something with a longer pointed cultivar does the seedling have similar shape. becuase like you said you used cultivar of round jujube but it came out pointer/ longer and doesnt have the exact round shape.

i think the guy who is selling tbe horse tooth variety on FB is just telling people its maya. i dont think its is the same based on the ripening time.

I picked another 3+ pounds of jujubes tonight at a rental, after my softball game. I probably could have picked more, but it was dark and I was in a hurry to get to volleyball.

Sugar Cane is about 80% done at this site. Honey Jar and Fuicuimi are just starting - maybe 10-15%, with Honey Jar a bit ahead of Fuicuimi. So has a few ripe and could start soon. Redlands, Sihong, Dong, Sandia, and Li haven’t ripened any yet.


I didn’t take a lot of readings in the above pic- just one from each variety in the area I thought would be sweet…

Fuicuimi is impressing me more and more. Not only is it pretty heavily productive, but the fruit size is actually a bit larger than Sugar Cane. And even though I was picking fruit with only 25-50% brown, the brix was nearly the same as the all brown Sugar Cane. In taste tests, mu younger daughter (not the one who liked Fuicuimi for being “fluffy” the other day) ranked them Sugar Cane, then Fuicuimi, and Honey Jar last. I gave her 3 of each variety and she ranked them based on the best sample from each variety.

As expected, my wife thought all 3 were great, but when pressed said that Honey Jar was last due to a larger pit. I liked Honey Jar the best based on flavor (Some of the Sugar Cane have something in the flavor that makes it not taste as sweet as it really is), with Sugar Cane edging Fuicuimi based on texture. So, while it is very hard to rank jujube within the top tier in terms of quality (a lot comes down to individual tastes). It seems clear to me that Fuicuimi has now entered the top quality tier, along with Sugar Cane, Honey Jar, and Black Sea.

At my house, Dae Sol Jo is almost ripe. There are quite a few on the branch grafted to GA866 (which has become about half the tree):

I’m a bit worried about this Bok Jo graft. It is very heavy and the Y you see in the pic is above 8’. near the top of the support post. Hopefully we don’t get too much rain/wind from the remnants of Ian (hitting FL now), as I suspect that the storm will get hear (early next week) before the jujubes are ripe.

I picked the fruit off my potted Black Sea today. What’s remarkable is that I created it this spring from a root leftover after a transplant and a bit of scion. To have fruit in about 6 months is pretty impressive.

I wouldn’t have picked it this unripe, except I missed some watering after the last big storm (I mistakenly assumed that the 3+" of rain covered me for more time than it did) and it partially defoliated. I decided to not stress it by trying to ripen fruit with only part of its leaves.

6 Likes

Some of my Li are huge and others are much smaller. It seems that the big ones are pretty much alone on the branch, while the smaller ones are more in groups. I’m not sure if it is just a matter of them needing thinning for extreme size or if the big ones are the ones which set earlier in the season.

A lot of the trees have 2nd flush, later crops. Here is a Moonlight branch with the ripe fruit near the bottom and the immature fruit near the top. It seems like the 2nd flush is coming on the new growth,

Moonlight is very similar to Maya/Massandra. I had my kids sample them together and both liked Maya better (juicier). But I suspect that is because I was watering the Maya at home and the Moonlight was from a rental that only got watered twice all summer. I tried both and didn’t think there was that big of a difference.

I picked another 2 pounds of Sugar Cane from the same rental that I got 8lbs from a few days ago. It’s over half done, but there are still plenty of green ones, not even including the 2nd flush.

I also tried a Texas Tart, which had started to brown (maybe 20-25%) and it was definitely TART. One Sherwood was ready, but it was horrible- quite dry. I assume something was off with that piece of fruit and the rest won’t be like that. I couldn’t even get a brix reading it was so dry.

At another nearby site, I picked a few more Honey Jar, but most of them are still green. That site doesn’t have a Sugar Cane tree, so there isn’t much ready yet. SC seems to be the earliest ripening variety for me, in every location where I’m growing it.

6 Likes