Jujubes- Our New Adventure

I grow them in central NC, and I would agree with @scottsmith that cracking and humidity isn’t the primary concern here. It’s important to choose the varieties that can set and hold fruit to maturity.

The varieties that have been the best producers for @BobVance have also done well for me (though he has grown many more varieties than I’ve been able to try yet). The most consistent variety for me here in NC in terms of production and quality is Honey Jar. Black Sea has also been a good producer for me. Bok Jo and Xu Zhou have also been precocious and productive, but I grafted them a year and a half ago, so it’s still early to judge. I grafted Orange Beauty this spring, and I got three fruit from that scion that were excellent. Many of the varieties that do well in California don’t seem to like our East Coast weather. @castanea has made the important point that despite being able to survive drought, jujubes actually need consistent moisture to be productive. He also says they can take many years to reach peak quality, so you shouldn’t judge them too early if they aren’t all as precocious as Honey Jar.

I’m grateful to people like Bob Vance who have trialed so many jujubes and documented and shared his results so regularly on this forum. It has made it easier for East Coast jujube growers to choose the best proven varieties for our climate.

5 Likes

I’m on the zone 7a/b line in northeast Arkansas.

This spring I planted two bareroot jujube trees (Lang and Li) from Ison’s. I planted them in a spot where they get blasting full sun from sunrise to sunset.

To my surprise, both trees managed to ripen a fair number of fruit in their first season (no cracking). And to my even greater surprise, I loved the fruit from both varieties! For my taste, I liked them better than any apples or pears I’ve grown.

Also, I love the look of the trees.

I’m now part of the jujube cult. I’ve already preordered two Honey Jars to plant next season.

4 Likes

Thanks Everyone for info. @scottfsmith what varieties are in your sunnier/netted spot now?

Are there a couple consensus winners that offer both excellent taste and production on the East Coast? I gather Honey Jar is one? Is Sugar Cane a second? Do any of them set fruit if it’s rainy during bloom?

I’ve only been growing them for about 10 years, but I haven’t had to deal with excessive shade and deer (mostly). Your deer problem sounds bad enough that I’d be camping out with an air rifle…

I’ve been planting jujube at a number of different sites over the last few years and there is a very wide range in terms of the success:

A site where everything grows very well → 40+ pounds (last 2 weeks) from the 3 trees planted in 2019

Another site where it is a bit dry → about a dozen tiny fruit from 6 trees planted in 2018

At least the trees at the 2nd site are growing now that I’ve been watering them every week or so during the summer. The first site only got watered twice all summer and I don’t think I’d watered it at all in past years.

From what I’ve seen, if a property has a nice lawn (without any fertilizer or watering), then the jujubes will do very well. Patchy yellow lawns will be more of a challenge.

And as Scott noted, deer are very very bad. I tried growing jujube at a couple properties (which I thankfully later sold) where there were a lot of deer. None survived the first year.

I think that is generally true, but a lot depends on the cultivar and how close the rain is to ripening. Sugar Cane and Xu Zhou both do badly with it. If someone decides to sell the fruit (something I’ve been forced to consider recently), what to do with cracked fruit is a question to deal with. Roger Meyers used to sell the ones that cracked as dried fruit. I’m not sure that would work here, unless you are on top of things. Even then, you could end up with fruit flies, etc. I’m actually getting ready to start separating the cracked Bok Jo and may give them a few hours in the oven at 180F to kill any fruit flies which seem interested in cracked fruit.

While it was a problem in the past, it hasn’t been an issue this year for me. Part of it is the older trees, but I think the weather was just much more conducive.

This is a bit preliminary, as I am still yet to taste ripe fruit from a few of the varieties this year that I expect could be on the list (Dong and Sandia), but here are my top 10 for taste. But taste is subjective and I think reasonable people could disagree about the order of the top 5. And that is for the fruit as grown in my area. If you grow it in other parts of the country, the whole list could change.

1- Honey Jar
2- Mei Mi*
3- Sugar Cane
4- Black Sea
5- Fuicuimi
6- Confetti*
7- Coco
8- KFC*
9- BV1 Seedling*
10-Massandra/Maya

*- small sample

In terms of production, I think the list would be as follows, with the top 3 being pretty close. I might include Autumn Beauty, in sunny years, as I had a massive production jump in almost all my Autumn Beauty trees this year. Same thing for Chico. But, I’m not sure if I can expect the same sort of production in a year without the inordinate amount of sunny days.

1- Bok Jo
2- Honey Jar
3- Xu Zhou
4- Sugar Cane
5- Black Sea
6- Confetti
7- Heitian Jade*
8- So
9- Massandra
10- Dae Sol Jo

So, I don’t think you’d go wrong with Honey Jar, Sugar Cane (cracks a lot if it rains close to harvest), or Black Sea. Fuicuimi could eventually join them, as quality was good and one tree had a massive harvest. But the original tree (from which the big harvest branch was grafted) has continued to have little production.

I’m not really thrilled with any of the large fruited varieties. None have as good of texture as the top 5 (or even really any of the top 10…). This includes Li, Da Bai Ling, Autumn Beauty, Shanxi Li, Dae Sol Jo, Redlands, and Sihong. But, at their best, they may be able to match up to varieties in the 15-20 range (out of maybe 50). I’d give Dae Sol Jo the nod based on production. It also doesn’t seem quite as sensitive to cracking as some of the others. I picked several pounds of it in the rain today and only had a few culls, though I think there were maybe 20% culls in the batch from yesterday (still better than the Shanxi Li).

6 Likes

I have Honey Jar, Bok Jo, and Black Sea. I had Xu Xhou and it was fruiting well but it was dominating a Honey Jar on the same stock so I had to remove it. I would have kept it otherwise as it is super vigorous and productive. I had Sugar Cane in a less sunny spot and liked it a lot so that is another good one. Note only Xu Xhou has shown itself to be a true winner for me in terms of production. It is perfectly fine in terms of taste as well, good crunch and good flavor and pretty good size to boot.

2 Likes

I planted a HJ and SC this spring, the HJ from @k8tpayaso, and they have been a delight to watch. Took a few months getting established but now the 1 foot trees have both reached about 7 feet.

They both made fruit all summer, and I was starting to worry I just didn’t like jujubes, but the fruit I tried last week was really quite tasty! Considering I’ve never seen or eaten a jujube, I didn’t know what to expect.

So nice to have a few trees that don’t need constant attention like the peaches and plums. My mulberry tree is also growing a ton in it’s first season.

2 Likes

While “perfectly fine” is hardly a rousing recommendation, I would argue that it is only perfectly fine compared to other types of fruit (a 21 brix apple is pretty good…a 21 brix jujube is not so impressive). The brix tends to be lower on Xu Zhou than most other jujubes. It could be that this is partly due to the massive production- spreading the sugar among a larger amount of fruit. The texture isn’t bad (some dense crunch), but is is far from the top-tier varieties which have more juice and are far crisper.

Xu Zhou does have good production and it is one of the later varieties. Kind of like how Roger Meyers referred to Tigertooth in his video. Paraphrasing: “Tigertooth is not very tasty, but if you want jujubes after the rest of the varieties are done for the season, it is the fruit for you”. For me, Tigertooth is ready around November 1st, with Xu Zhou just starting to ripen now (mid-Oct).

The top -2-7 and #9 on my list are already done for the season, with 1, 8 & 10 (HJ, KFC, and Maya) about to be done. That means that Xu Zhou is one of the later varieties. That, along with the extreme productivity will probably give it a bit more leash with me. If next summer’s weather isn’t as good for jujubes, maybe I’ll need its production. If it was just the fruit quality, I’d be getting rid of it. After all, my daughter liked Lang better, a fruit which is almost notorious for being sub-par for fresh eating.

I think one Xu Zhou tree (2/3 of orig and 1/3 of another tree as a graft) is enough for it. And that is out of ~100 jujube trees.

Today, I picked another 20 pounds, about half Bok Jo.

Many of the Bok Jo were badly cracked. In some ways, Bok Jo is just a better version of Xu Zhou (similar texture, higher brix). They both crack badly, though this is the worst I’ve seen Bok Jo. In the past, Xu Zhou was the worse cracker.

I think one of the reasons that Bok Jo was so bad was that most of these came from a very high branch(grafted on top of the Shanxi Li) which is inconveniently positioned. It was pretty hard for me to get at, even 4 steps up a ladder (and pulling another 6+ feet of branch over and twisting…). So, I let too many of them get too ripe and then the rain hit…

I separated the Bok Jo into 1st (3.4 lbs) to store, seconds (1.75 lbs) with minor cracking to be consumed quickly and the rest (almost half) to dry. This sheet has both Bok Jo and a few cracked Shanxi Li. I’ll let it sit tonight and try them tomorrow.

I also picked quite a few Shanxi Li. These were on the lower half of the tree and the cracking wasn’t as bad. I think a lot of that was because I went through the tree last week and removed the worst of the cracked fruit. So there were only smaller and new cracks.

Here are a few others I picked today. Ant Admire was noteworthy, as the texture was so much better than the fruit I harvested a couple weeks ago. The earlier ones were not crisp at all- just firm and dense. It is still a very low producer, so I don’t see recommending it (especially if you aren’t sure which version of the fruit you will get). But it was interesting to see such a difference. No cracking either.

The KFC was also very encouraging, with Churchpoint being reasonably good but small. More of the same with the large fruit- OK, not great, and definitely not as good as the small ones.

4 Likes

In past years, Bok Jo and Xu Zhou have been similar in size and shape. But Bok Jo has been higher brix by 8+ points (30 vs 22, at similar levels of ripeness). This year, I noticed that a lot of my Bok Jo are smaller, though their brix doesn’t seem far off what its been. I went to a rental today and the Bok Jo on a graft were much larger. I suspect it was due to having most of the tree supporting them, as there isn’t that much fruit in the rest (Li, somewhat non-productive). That got me thinking that maybe Bok Jo and Xu Zhou deal with oversetting fruit in different ways. Bok Jo makes the fruit smaller, while Xu Zhou keeps the fruit large, but makes it lower brix.

Another thing I noticed at that property is that there was a So with a Churchpoint graft and both had much better fruit quality than the ones at my house. At home, neither So, nor Churchpoint has much acid to them. But, I know I’ve had a sour, crunchy, high-brix So from a different rental in the past in late October. And today, both So and Churchpoint had plenty of acid at the rental. I tried another Churchpoint at home and while it has slightly lower brix (23 vs 27), the texture was good and they were completely brown. The So at my house are on a massively productive (30lbs so far, with more on the tree) 10-11 year old tree and have ~20 brix and OK flavor, but are really missing the high-brix, high-acid flavor that the rental had on the smaller (and lighter fruit set) tree. It makes me wonder if I’ll be thinning jujube someday…

Rental property:

Both the Churchpoint and the So were very good, but the Chico was pretty iffy. 24 isn’t a bad brix, but the built-in sour made it taste like 15-20 brix, without adding the same type of acid bite that So and Churchpoint had.

5 Likes

One thing I found with Xu Xhou is they needed to hang a lot longer than other jujubes to taste good. Any green at all was too early. I think they were pretty much like any good jujube when they had a long enough hang. They definitely set like crazy, and it makes sense that would effect how they ripened.

1 Like

could you compare Massandra/Maya and ant admire? i remember you saying ant admire was dry texture and now it is better. but how does it compare to Massandra/Maya? thank you!

The local supermarket had some fresh jujube. They have the texture of maybe an apple, but the taste is a huge disappointment. They aren’t sweet at all. I hope the backyard crop tastes better than the ones at the store…

1 Like

The main problem being that leaving them in a ripe state for longer is really increasing the chances of rain cracking them. But, I’ll try to leave some- I have a vague recollection that some of the really late ones weren’t bad last year…

Maya/Massandra is crunchier, while the recent Ant Admire was a bit crisper and less crunchy/hard. I think Maya may still be better, but even if it wasn’t there are 2 big drawbacks to Ant Admire. The first half of those ripe weren’t very good, similar to how they were in past years for me, so that is what you would likely get a decent amount of the time. Also, AA is not very productive at all. There were maybe ~7 fruit on a large branch (maybe 5’ long with plenty of side branches. Maya would probably have had 50+ fruit on the same sized branch, so the productivity isn’t even close.

Did you get a brix reading? I’ve had some from Chinese supermarkets in the past and some were picked at least somewhat ripe with a brix of 20-25 (generally $5+ per pound), while others were picked green and had a brix of about 10-12. The cheap ones were also sometimes spongy, so you got lucky that they had “maybe an apple” texture. :slight_smile:

The lowest backyard brix I normally see is about 20, with most in the 23-28 range. Sometimes they can reach the mid 30’s.

1 Like

Li jujube kept on coming strong :muscle:.

6 Likes

Bob- Your lists really help; thanks. Are any of these top 10 for Taste known for some acid to balance the sweet? I love sweet/tart in apples, am seeking same in jujube if found in varieties with decent production on east coast.

2 Likes

thank you so much your notes are very helpful. Could you compare coco and the honey jar? coco i have a small tree like 2 year old has some fruit and fruit were nice flavor i didnt get any coco flavor in particular but it was a good jujube. the honey jar is a larger tree but the fruits were alot either my trees are potted. so could to tell me about yours? i have seen you mention honey jar is productive but not much notes on coco.

These were brown. I don’t have a Brix meter- I should order one. If I had to guess it would be zero!!

@BobVance
We have had a lot of rain since Sept. I think it has helped jujubes being juicier, less dry. Even my Shanxi Li, some of them were sweet and crunchy. The only drawback is that not all have the same good eating quality. Some are still rather bland and spongy.

Many are very large.

I know you are not big on Orange Beauty. I have found it crunchy and tastes quite good. It is more sharpness (tart taste) to it than sweet. Those who like a bit more sour in jujubes than what HJ or SC have, will like it.

4 Likes

I don’t think any of the top 10 really qualifies as sweet-tart. Mei Mi has some bite to it. Honey Jar is more pure sweet, while the others are variations on it. Sugar Cane is probably the closest to having something “balance the sweet”. But, it isn’t tart/sour, but rather some other taste, which I have trouble identifying, which makes it not taste as sweet as the brix indicates.

If you want a sweet-tart, Churchpoint and So are worth considering. Both produce in my area. But, as noted in my post from yesterday, they don’t always have the tart component and I’m still trying to figure out why. I did try a 3rd Churchpoint (that is a 3rd tree with Churchpoint, not a 3rd fruit…within a tree, the taste was similar) today and it was similar to the 1st (sweet & tart). Chico also has some tart to it, but it seems more reluctant to produce. Orange Beauty is another possibility, but as Maumang notes I haven’t been too impressed with it yet.

If you want sour with high brix (more so than Goldrush even), then Texas Tart is for you. It is a strong producer, having set fruit on several new grafts, one of which even has a 2nd crop.

Fruit size is similar. HJ produces more. Both have great texture, but Coco is a lighter crisp, more similar to Sugar Cane than HJ.

I have never detected any coconut flavor in Coco either.

Coco will produce here, but doesn’t have the same type of massive sets that Honey Jar does. I have 2 Coco trees, one of which got pretty big, but has only produced a handful of fruit, before I moved it this spring to a rental. The 2nd one set some fruit for the first time and it isn’t bad. Texture similar to Sugar Cane and without the extra flavor which I sometimes find unpleasant in Sugar Cane. So far, it hasn’t been as productive as Sugar Cane and the fruit size is smaller.

You can find them as “refractometers”. Even sour/not-sweet stuff will often have a brix of 5-10. The only fruit which I’ve found tasty at 10 is watermelon.

I don’t think I’ve run into any which are spongy. At least, the way the picked-unripe ones from Chinatown are. But, the cracked fruit does soften if not picked right away. But, if you pick the cracked fruit when it first cracks (especially if it is still raining…), then it is crunchy and even reasonably juicy. Still not as juicy as the top-tier smaller fruits, but still pleasant to eat.

I think I need to try it on a different tree. Maybe it will do better elsewhere. None of the ones I’ve had would really qualify as “crunchy”, even ones without cracks. But both you and Tony like it, so maybe it just needs a different location.

4 Likes

Everyone you ask will have a top 10 list and it can differ substantially in different parts of the country largely because of the impact of climate on fruit maturation and quality. For example, GA866 will be on the top 5 list for most California growers but not for most growers in zone 6.

Chico will be on many top 5 lists. It has a very distinct sweet/sour balance and a unique fine-grained flesh. It is the most well known sweet/sour variety.
Orange Beauty is a superb jujube that is always in my top 5. It has a sweet/sour combination but the sourness is not as strong as in Chico and varies at different stages of fruit maturity.
Sweet Tart is not on many top 10 list because not many people grow it and it needs a long growing season to mature fruit, but it’s in my top 10 and at its peak, it has strong tartness combined with a high level of sweetness.
Porterville is a top 10 jujube for some growers. It has a nice sweet/sour flavor but it’s very hard to find Porterville trees or wood right now in the US.

There are quite a few other varieties that will have sourness at some point during the maturation process but they may not be as well known or as distinctive as the four above.

7 Likes

Honestly, in California they all taste good if you let them ripen properly, the problem with me is I don’t have any patience, I just pick them and eat them green, so HJ tasted the best. Either that I’m easy to please, lol.

2 Likes