Juliet Cherry

It was birds for me. And kind of weird too because there are eight honeyberry plants in the same area and some have ripe-ish fruit.

1 Like

I got two nice 5# size Juliet from walmart at half price last week for $13 a piece. I think thats a pretty good deal, considering its still 2-3x that online and other places.

im happy about the price, but sad I cant get more due to limited space. lol

10 Likes

50 cherries!!!

My Juliet was full of blooms this spring. But it set 2 cherries. That’s right. I counted them. 2 Juuliet and one Carmine Jewel cherries on the same bush. Not sure if I should net this tree :smile:

4 Likes

Why you don’t have a bakery and fruit-stand is amazing! :peach::cherries::watermelon::apple::pear::banana::melon: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

SCORE wow thats great - beauties too

2 Likes

Thanks, if only you were also in WI, you can probably get them for that price too. I’m probably the only person that has bought any of the 10+ Juliet they have in stock.

I hope with this size, I might get fruits or at least first booms by next year.

1 Like

Sthao -

Talk about different markets. Zero availability at nurseries here. Our wallyworld just has basic begonias and hostas, Etc.
Im sure most ppl dont even know what a juliet is. Its like an inner circle thing.
I have a romeo in third leaf just about their size, and i got quite a few blooms and cherry starts (too young still so i pulled them)
If juliet grows as quickly as i read here i bet you will have something goin on next year
Glad u got to snag those two! I am vicariously happy about it :grin:

4 Likes

Sthao,
would you be able to take a close up of the label, or what is the SKU so I can check for availability in my area?

thanks

1 Like

Something, I assume birds, have stripped what little fruit I had on my Juliet. Cherries are so frustrating. I also lost half of my actual CJ bush. But this is possibly related to glypho I believe. I sprayed the ground under both bushes this spring before leaf out. My CJ was forked at ground level and one of the forks died. I never had any issues spraying glypho while dormant but maybe the CJ had shallow roots in that area. Regardless, the other fork of the bush seems fine.

1 Like

when i tell my friends and neighbors i grow 4 kinds of cherries, they laugh saying they don’t grow here. they’re surprised when i tell them they grow into z2 ,central canada.

4 Likes

Moose71-

Which cherries are u growing?

sorry i was still working, but check your pm

Which state are you in? As I only know Walmart by Walmart lol…but internet says wallyworld and walmart are the same thing, just different names by some :wink:

honestly, i’m surprised to find such kind of bush cherry there in the first place. The years that I have lived up here, they always had the usual apples, European pears, flowering and edible crab apples, peach, euro plums and berries etc. So I was ecstatic to come across this bush cherry :smile: )

Im in NY, on long island. Lol yes, the wallyworld is walmart!!
Im surprised you found juliet too.
Ive heard of ppl in other states finding quality fruit trees as costco as well. Im not a member and dont shop their but friends that do say there is nothing interesting there.

1 Like

I work at a Garden center and we have carried these bush cherries for several years, in fact I start them from bare root and sell them in spring. I was shocked today to see the price of these online today for bare root, 4", or 1 gal plants. We have always offered them for far less. think I saw $59-$79 per plant . You should always try your local garden center first before buying online or going to box stores. On another note I have found some of the cherries tend to get spider mites easily, and have not seen any canker issues but we do have a dry climate here

1 Like

“we do have a dry climate here”. Whereis “here”?

We usually suggest members put their state and/or city, county in your profile. It is helpful info to know.

1 Like

i have 1 romeo , 2 julliet, a carmine jewel , montmorency and a polish morello. most are still pretty small but might see a few cherries on the romance series next summer. they grow really well here. put on about 18-20in. a season with little care.

6 Likes

I have 25 - 30 Carmine Jewel that we recently put fencing and netting up around. We have our chickens, about 25 of them, in there currently. We plan to leave the chickens in there until we need to spray with Surround. We are hoping that they will help with the dreaded Curcolio bug population that moved to our property a few years ago (plus fertilizing).

I also have 2 Juliets that we planted 2 years ago. I had to dig them up this fall and relocate them as they were in the way of where we are building a greenhouse. I pruned both the branches and the roots. I took cuttings from the branches and put them in my cutting bed. If they take root, that would be great, if not, well, at least I tried. I figured I didn’t have anything to loose by putting them in there. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

not sure if you saved the roots, but you can propagate from root cuttings also. Interested to hear if you had any luck rooting juliet in this way, did you treat cuttings with hormone before sticking them or wax dip the tops to prevent dessication?

Here is some information I found about rooting prunus varieties, might be useful to someone:

Hardwood cuttings 10 to 12 inches in length are needed for rootstocks to enable scion bud insertion (Loreti & Morini, 2008). Rootstock cuttings should be ¼ inch to 1 inch in diameter, depending on the method of budding used (Hartmann, Kester, Davies, & Geneve, 2002). The bottom cut should be made directly below a node while the apical cut should be made ½ inch to 1 inch above the uppermost node. Disbudding, removal of lower axillary buds prior to sticking, will reduce suckering. However, do not remove all buds on the cutting because new leaf growth in the spring is needed to provide photosynthates to the growing bud and new root system. If prepared cuttings will not be used immediately after collection they should be bundled, make basal and apical cuts with a band saw, and dip tips in wax to prevent drying and indicate terminal orientation. Cuttings should then be stored in moist (not soaking) peat moss, newspaper or sawdust, placed in polyethylene bags, and refrigerated at 32-40°F (Westwood, 1993, p. 120; Hartmann, Kester, Davies, & Geneve, 2011, p. 350).

Check cuttings frequently to make sure buds remain dormant. In some varieties that are difficult to root it may be necessary to use rooting hormones, callus formation, or root initiation prior to cold storage. Soak basal cuts in IBA at 10-25ppm for 12-24 hours, or quick dipped in1000-5000ppm IBA for 5 seconds in IBA (Westwood, 1993, p. 117; Loreti & Morini, 2008, p. 226). Place the basal portion of the bundled cuttings in 3 inches of moist peat above 8 inches of sand above heating mats or circulating hot-water tubing. Maintain bottom heat at 18 to 21°C and expose the top portion to cold air to ensure bud dormancy (Hartmann, Kester, Davies, & Geneve, 2011, p. 350). Cuttings can also be spaced closely together, if bundling is not desired, in liners or beds with bottom heat similar to those used for bundle cutting wood. Field transplantation must occur before bud dormancy is broken.

4 Likes

I thought about trying to propagate from the roots too, but didn’t try it (I can’t remember why). I didn’t use rooting hormone, but I did stick them in with a cutting of willow. If the cherries don’t do anything, at least the willows will lol :slight_smile: . I also did not wax dip the tops. Also, just an fyi for interested parties, the cuttings are in a raised bed outside.

1 Like