Juliet Cherry

Years ago I bought a winchester pellet gun 1000 ft per second. I sat down and shot 70 chipmunks and it didn’t even seem like there was a difference. I gave up on trying to kill them there’s way to many of them. They just flood in from the woods. If I made a rat trap it would be with a 55 gal barrel with water and a 4" pvc tube with peanut butter that tilts with the weight of the rat when he goes for the peanut butter.

4 Likes

my biggest worry is getting the tree to live until it fruits. the darn voles under the snow in the winter have killed or maimed many a young tree in my yard. even with hardware cloth the buggers use it as a ladder and chew the tree higher up or dig under it to girdle the roots. i have to put out poison blocks in pieces of pvc pipe , in the fall or they will kill most of my trees / bushes! there not much they won’t eat! if the tree survives long enough to get tougher bark, then they will leave it alone.

1 Like

between my 2 cats and all the hawks patroling the back and side fields , the squirrels and chipmunks don’t stand a chance! the lady 2 houses up from me has 8 cats so we don’t see many around here. when i see 1 the .22 goes into action then in the compost pile he goes! :wink:

2 Likes

That’s an excellent way to generate liquid fertilizer ;-}

2 Likes

have you tried castor oil? Voles can not stand the smell. But be sure to not get deodorized oil

2 Likes

Ive noticed some damage on my juliet cherries, both last year and again this year. This seems to be the culprit but I have no idea what it is. Ideas?

Pear sawfly larva (pear slug) or something similar would be my guess.

http://jenny.tfrec.wsu.edu/opm/displaySpecies.php?pn=210

3 Likes

no i haven’t but I’ve been using 3in. pvc pipe cut in 12in. peices with one end taped off. i put peanut butter flavored block rodenticide in them and put them out around the property in late fall just before snowfall. haven’t had a issue in 3 yrs. since doing this. they go back to their burrows to die i guess because i haven’t seen a carcass in the spring yet.

1 Like

Vincent,
Have you picked your Juliet yet?
Anyone in zone 5-7 picked there Juliet yet?

I have my one and only Juliet hiding in the middle of the tree. Want to pick it at the right time!

7 Likes

Like you I had only very few and picked early to taste over couple week ago. And a few more on my CJ. My Romeo had none for this year manuang .

Vincent,
@Don3a picked his after July 21. He is in zone 3. My guess is my zone may be 2-3 weeks earlier than his. I will pick mine tomorrow before something take it.

2 Likes

Taking pictures Mamuang please.

Vincent,
The pic above is the only pic needed as I have only one fruit :joy:

1 Like

Well, I have jointed the Juliet club. I have been having disease issues with my Crimson Passion and Carmine Jewel cherries… something that causes gummosis and kills whole trunks.

I am going to remove Crimson Passion and cut away all the diseased looking parts of the Carmine Jewels. It isn’t every tree that seems to be having the problem.

I was considering getting a Juliet already, then lo and behold at a local nursery (in VA…) I saw a pair of potted Juliet bush cherries for sale on their own roots. I bought one and have planted it well away from my other cherries in a good spot. Hopefully it won’t suffer from the same issue.

5 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

I’m growing a row of Juliet this year as I’ve mentioned. Looking forward to trying them

4 Likes

That sounds like bacterial canker. You might need to spray fungicide a few times a year if your not already, especially when the temps are around 70 deg and it’s humid. I spray copper in the spring and fall along with emunox and just emunox when the leaves are on. I also have a new fungicide that works great but I forgot what it’s called. My memory has gone to hell! You can cut those gummy areas out to white wood. I put copper over that and has cure it on my peach trees. Infected wood looks blackish grey. On my peach trees with big trunks I just rev up my chainsaw and carefully and slowly tip cut it out. I cut a lot though with my chainsaw so only if your handy with a saw, and the tree has thick wood. Now if that gummy sap is oozing out of hole instead of split bark that’s bores. Take a wire and poke the holes to kill them and spray insecticide.

4 Likes

Like @scottfsmith advised above in this thread the deer can be a problem especially with fruit bushes. Normally i use hail screen wire cages around bushes that are as expensive as Juliet and even then there are not guarantees. Im looking forward to trying Juliet but i find it hard to believe they are any better than carmine jewell. Pictures will follow soon!

1 Like

My Fourth Juliet came today from Gurney’s. I"m giving it to my oldest sister. I bought her a Wowza also. I plan on growing out some seedlings and grafting over the rest of the series on those to give to her also.

14 Likes

This Juliet was in a pot for over a year,while I was deciding where to plant.There wasn’t much room,so now she is accompanying a Carmine Jewel.bb

8 Likes