Juneberry Crossing

I’ve recently been looking at adding some juneberries and wonder about comments that I’ve seen about cross pollination and seeds. Anyone have any experience / thoughts / ideas about this?

from the HoneyberryUSA site: " Planting multiple varieties increases fruit set marginally but increases fruit seediness."

but Fedco notes: " Considered to be self-fruitful but we recommend planting more than one for best fruit sets"
Sue

1 Like

For what it’s worth…I’ve observed that grouped plantings in people’s yards of the hybrids have better crops than one lone plant. Even if the multiple plantings are the same cultivar.

1 Like

Most fruits such as blueberries, stone fruit, dogwoods and many others benefit from cross pollination. Most wild plants too, many wild raspberries are not self fruitful. Being self fertile defeats the whole purpose of sexual reproduction.Maybe why you get more fruit as the genetics seem to favor diversity. Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to plant only one Juneberry, I will add another. I have one in the city now Northline, I was going to add Honeywood. Maybe I’ll try to clone each of them and add it to each site.

I would not mind getting Autumn Brilliance though! Different species I think? I wonder if they are like almond-peach which will pollinate one another? Hmmm?

2 Likes

Still wondering about the “why” of possibly more seediness so I finally emailed Honeyberry and asked about their comment. Bernis nicely wrote back with this:
“Just something I read somewhere. We have multiple varieties and the seeds are fine for me. I haven’t ever seen an orchard without multiple varieties. -Bernis”

I’m definitely adding more varieties. Sue

1 Like

Serviceberries would make the best pies and jam in the world if they had smaller or no seeds. I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice if we could have fewer or smaller.
Maybe someone can ‘breed’ for that trait!

1 Like

I use a simple strainer and a pestle to remove seeds. I like to make syrups of fruit. Removing seeds has always been easy although one loses some of the pulp too. The more you work the pestle, the more pulp you push through.

Yesterday I made pink currant syrup, raspberry is next

The above method would help for jam, not so much for pies. Try Aurora honeyberries instead. IowaJer posted an excellent recipe for honeyberries. I tried it and liked it a lot with a little ice cream! (serve hot).

3 Likes