Juneberry from seed

I have had good success germinating amelanchier seeds by sowing them in a pot immediately after harvesting berries in the summer. I clean the seeds before planting. I leave the pots out all winter with a piece of screen on top to keep out cats. In the spring, lots of seedlings emerge.

1 Like

Yeah, I didnt figure it would be too hard. Will be interesting to see how big I can get these before the snow is off the ground tho. Maybe get 2 seasons of growth in its first…

Seeds coming up in soil…

2 Likes

Love that sight.

Dax

1 Like

Updated pic of juneberry in soil.

Juneberry in coir…

3 Likes

Another update, seem to be doing well, coir are winning but they are in a warmer, more humid environment also…

3 Likes

4 Likes

I had some Juneberry seedlings 2 years ago. I put them outside in a protected area to harden them off when they got about 6 inches tall. Killed even though there was no freeze. Keep babying them.

1 Like

Been a couple weeks. Seedlings growing well…

5 Likes

Seedlings in coir doing great, some over a foot tall now and seem very heathy.

3 Likes

Broke up my 2 gallon (about 1.6 gallons actual volume) pot of seedlings this weekend and transplanted them into individual grow bags. Its amazing they all fit and grew so well in the small pot they have been in!

Before

After

3 Likes

About a month till my seeds start growing Im guessing… I also buried some outside in my garden to see if thats a good way to delay germination a while longer. These are smoky but I also got some from my small Lee 8 plant this year.

Is that toothache plant you have growing there around the baby juneberries?

yeah, i usually have one around…

1 Like

Got a few dried flowers saved up!

1 Like

Oh cool. I grew one outside a few years back and it only made two flowers. I probably had it in a less than ideal location. The one I put in my mouth to try gave me a surprising sensation, though! They really work! Do you plan to use all of those for toothaches…?

not sure what Ill do with them, if you keep picking the flowers it will keep producing… I was thinking about adding them to a batch of wine next summer, would make for an interesting taste sensation!

Checked the fridge and my lee8 seeds are sprouting already, was hoping theyd stay dormant for another month or so. Planted all 9 of them to a single 2gal fabric pot with coir today. Smokey and aronia havent started sprouting yet… Ill post a pic once they break ground.

2 Likes

Derek what is your take on lee8 vs other juneberries. What is your favorite?

Sorry I cant really say much about others yet, the only one Ive had substantial production from so far is smokey… The others were year 2 last year, should get a few more berries this year. My dad sprayed my JB30 with roundup last summer and killed it, hes 80 and has a thing about grass growing around bushes in his yard, through the mulch, not the first time hes killed stuff I have planted there. He also killed off their rhubarb plants last summer, for the 2nd time! Right now all I have planted is Martin, Lee8 and smokey. If anyone has or would save me some jb30 seeds next summer Id appreciate some!