Kansas fruit varieties

Thanks for all the recommendations! I will definitely be ordering some reliance peaches this year to give a shot. I was originally thinking about trying a row of Apache or Triple Crown blackberries, but might try a Prime Ark variety instead like @clarkinks said has done well for him. Hard to believe that Spring is just around the corner, I’m pretty excited!

1 Like

The prime ark 45 has thorns but seems slightly stronger than freedom which is thornless. This is my heirloom Blackberries by the gallons . @39thparallel has trialed these and traveler and has an extra year of experience growing them. He suggested the varieties to me and I shared my heirloom field variety with him that does very well in this area. We are all here to help each other out so just let us know if we can help with scion wood etc. @39thparallel and I go in on rootstock orders /trade scion wood etc. Once in awhile and I buy trees from his nursery.The prime ark thread is here Extending the blackberry season

@clarkinks or @39thparallel, what kind of spacing are you using between the prime ark blackberry plants and also the bush cherry

I would go 6 feet apart on the carmine jewell cherries knowing what I do now. The blackberries I would space 48 inches. They will both send out suckers if you go with prime ark 45’s and carmine Jewell. The carmine Jewell are slow growing at first.

Thanks for all your help!

1 Like

@39thparallel I forgot to ask when ordering trees from you this morning, what do you or @clarkinks suggest for spacing on the pears with semi dwarf rootstock?

1 Like

I’m going to let @39thparallel answer that since I’m not sure what the rootstock or scion wood combination is he used.

15’-18’ would be a reasonable spacing for the Semi Dwarf pears.

1 Like

BTW, I found Lakemont to also produce seedless grapes here. It’s a white grape but, it has thicker skin then the supermarket grapes. I also really like Somerset Grapes. They are small and will have seeds but, the strawberry flavor is a treat.

Do you or anyone else have a favorite place for ordering grape plants? I’m also wondering about the carmine jewel bush cherry. Would the EZ start potted ones be a good choice from Stark brothers? I would normally always go with bare root, but the price isn’t bad. Price really doesn’t mean much though if the potted plants don’t take off growing like the bare roots.

Best grape vines are from Double A Vineyards

You’ll get roots sometimes as much as 3-4 times as long as the already large cuttings they send.

Dax

3 Likes

their other plants are just as good quality.

2 Likes

I don’t know about Stark Bros’ Carmine Jewel plants, but a lot of folks get their CJ and other bush cherries from honeyberryusa.com . I ordered a Romeo, Juliet and Crimson Passion from them last year. The CP didn’t make it through the winter but it was a very small plant (8-12") when I got it. The Romeo was slightly bigger but the Juliet was huge, it had foot long roots. The Juliet is huge now, about 4ft tall, and the Romeo is about 2ft now. Neither has fruited, but the J might next year, it’s certainly big enough.

2 Likes

I ordered Juliet as well @subdood_ky_z6b but skipped the others from the romance series for now.

2 Likes

Thanks, I was going to order my carmine jewels from Stark brothers but they ran out before I got them ordered. I burned up my gift certificates on other trees. I will order from honeyberryusa.com now. Let me know if there are any other Kansans out there that want some to get a quantity break.

1 Like

Mike, I planted a bunch of somerset seedless cuttings and most are coming up and doing pretty good. I was curious what you use for a trellis system or pergola for these grapes? I was thinking about making some kind of cedar structure to walk under, but didn’t know how long the vines of this variety get in Kansas. I was also curious what spraying regime you use on these.

2 Likes

Kool! I love the strawberry flavor of Somerset. It will not be seedless in our climate but, its worth growing. I have all my grapes on a single wire trellis about 5 1/2 ft high. Somerset dose not seem to be high vigor like the ones with concord genetics. I don’t know if I would choose it to train on a large arbor.

2 Likes

As far as spray program, Grapes tend to have summer Fungus issues which I control with mostly captan. People use sulfur or copper but, some varieties are sensitive to organic fungicides. Japanese beetles love grapes but, you may not have them there (yet). The only other insect pest I see on grapes are stink bugs. I use Carbaryl as needed or diatomaceous earth if its with in a week of harvest

2 Likes

Thank you sir, sure appreciate your help!

1 Like