Karmijn de Sonnaville

Right now it’s quite tart, but it’s not fully ripe yet; even when ripe it is definitely on the tart side, but there’s so much else going on with the flavor and sugars that it’s hard to say. It is not a sweet apple like, say, Cameo.

5 Likes

KDS is very tart although it mellows with a month or 2 in the fridge.

2 Likes

Cuckoo4…I have 50 or 60 different varieties, all in containers, so pollination is not a concern here. If one has only a few trees, it would be a concern as you suggested. I found less coddling moth damage this year on uncovered fruit than other varieties. (I had always covered all in Surround soaked footies but has my collection has gotten a bit out of hand :slight_smile: and I left many apples uncovered.) Karmijn has that wonderful T3 vigor.

2 Likes

Thanks @Quill. I may go with melrose to partner with my gold rush. I see good reviews on melrose from tall clover farm in washington. They also grow melrose and karmijn near me at an orchard in Salem. So I can always just buy a box of karmijn each year.

What’s the name of the orchard in Salem? I’m not sure I’ve seen Karmijn for sale. I have a branch of it, but I think the one apple it produced this year may have gone missing.

@murky the orchard in Salem in called EZ Orchards. They have really good apple cider and lots of fresh produce including apples like kds, melrose, jonagold, jonathan, and more.

1 Like

@murky, there is or was an orchard in Brush Prairie by a man named Florian Deisenhofer. I saw his name on Orange Pippin. I never visited but he has a great variety of apples including Karmijn.

1 Like

Went into orchard yesterday and looked at my karmijn. Split one and seeds were brown getting close. It had water core tried it. Way to intense flavor hope they mellow out on tree or do I need to store them in fridge first? If they don’t improve I try next year but way to intense for me. Mouth pucker intense. @marknmt

They are intense when fully ripe but not mouth-puckeringly so. I think with a little more time on the tree they’ll mellow out for you. I’ve not had the watercore with them that I recall, but I don’t mind watercore so I might not make too much note of it. They won’t store for more than a few weeks, so if you do hold them in the fridge keep a close eye on them.

Mine are still a ways off. Maybe I should try one.

2 Likes