Keeping Coturnix Quail in a restricted city/subdivision

No problem. Thanks for trying.

1 Like

ive found many other places that sell them. just google jumbo corutnix quail.

I’ve considered growing quail a few times since chickens aren’t allowed in my suburban area and I was wondering if I could get away with quail. I considered getting quail from a place in VA that has a good reputation. Having a good line that you are getting birds from is important since some lines are calmer and not as likely to pick on each other. They ship hatching eggs and you could get a cheap incubator and hatch them yourself. Your grandkids would get a kick out of it I imagine, plus they grow very quickly to egg laying size.

1 Like

I have coternix quail. The neighbors have never complained but if you want the neighbors not to know you have quail you will have to eat the males.

3 Likes

Males are very noisy , my neighbors have complained

3 Likes

I will probably start out with about six females and see if I can handle the upkeep. People are selling the eggs for you to hatch but the little chicks are more difficult to find. Might get a small incubator.

1 Like

TSC has some good prices on them. my daughter wants me to hatch out some laying hens from my flock. i wonder what a white leghorn/ americauna cross is going to look like :wink: i may try some quail as well. they dont need much room and such a small bird should be quick and easy to dress out / cook.

1 Like

From the cage to the plate…

2 Likes

I second the suggestion of Muscovy ducks. Both sexes are very quiet, and they are good eating, too. They have a lot of breast for a duck.

1 Like

ive read chukkar partridge are easy to keep and are 2xs bigger than quail.

1 Like