Kei Apple

Last night I looked up other members of the Dovyalis genus. If I were to experiment with graft compatibility, I’d first try Dovyalis rhamnoides, aka Sourberry. But I don’t know why anyone with a mature Kei Apple plant would bother with this because typically they are drowning in seedlings.

1 Like

First ripe fruit of the season :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

4 Likes

Mine are finally putting out some new growth, lined with their needle spines. I think they like these 100° days and 80° evenings. They don’t seem to react at all to more/less watering, I think they’re pretty darn tolerant of both.

2 Likes

I irrigate ours for 2 minutes per week year-round, which I estimate is 5 gallons per plant per week. In contrast, our pit fruits prefer 8 minutes per week in the summer.

Annual before and after pruning photos. The male and female are just starting to flower.

3 Likes

First of the season, way ahead of others on the female plant.

2 Likes

On the hermaphrodite / dioecious question… My mum has Kei Apple in australia, from a nursery. She has a single tree, and it fruits profusely. Even if it’s wind pollinated, it’s a rare tree there and her neighbours aren’t close at all, so the odds of wind pollination are low.

The only info she can find is that Kei Apple should be only male or female, but the fruit are there, so there may be a dioecious variety being sold in Australia. I’ve seen the tree myself, the thorns are serious business!!!

1 Like

If the plant produces only female flowers and the fruits contain empty seed hulls or no seeds at all, then it is parthenocarpic.
Other possibilities include separate male and female flowers on the same plant, or perfect flowers with both male and female parts.

1 Like

It’s also possible that the nursery grafted a male branch on the female plant.

2 Likes

Thanks! I meant Parthenocarpic but wrote dioecious for some reason.

When it flowers next I’ll have her try to ID female and any male flowers on different branches (grafted male if on separate branches / hermaphrodite if distributed).

I’ve also asked her about the seeds (possible parthenocarpy), she thinks she remembers they were fully formed but will report back next time.

1 Like

2nd pruning of the year … and loaded with fruit.

5 Likes

Seriously productive! What are the storage properties, or how can you preserve them?

2 Likes

They have a very short shelf life. My preservation methods so far include: juice frozen in ice cube trays for later use as a condiment, jelly, and frozen cobbler. I’m considering using leftovers as a mulch supplement since they have a good Salic acid content.

2 Likes

The temperatures have been in the upper 80°sF here for a week and today it broke through to 94°. These fruits will likely all turn a nice ripe yellow color in a few days.

3 Likes