King David apple on M-111 rootstock

Based on recommendations from several members here, I reserved this King David at Walter Anderson Nursery a few months ago and it was ready for pickup today. I’ll plant it adjacent to our White Winter Pearmain for cross pollination. I’m happy to have it on M-111 which does very well in our San Andreas jumbled soils near the CA west coast.

Here it is in front of the garage door, and then in a 15-gallon pot filled with soggy 1/4" sequoia bark.

14 Likes

planted today.

2 Likes

Nice looking new tree Richard.

Jealous of your very nice planter beds… man I need some of those.

Did you build those yourself or hire someone ?

Looks like you have several about the same size… do you have an idea about what the total cost is, including soil per each nice round planter bed with concrete retaining wall blocks ?

My wife might go for fruit trees in the yard… if I had beds like that :slight_smile:

TNHunter

1 Like

I bought this property in Spring '13. The following year I hired a contractor to regrade it and install retaining walls on all 4 sides - down deep enough to repel gophers. I also had the walls capped and drilled for stainless posts so I could mount fencing for privacy and mesh down to the capstone to keep gophers and cottontails from crawling in.

Afterwards I rented a walk-behind ditch witch and installed a network of irrigation tee’d off the line from the meter to the house. I had brought with me about 100 plants from my former nursery and began placing the pots where I thought they would go. Slowly I began planting them in the ground with dirt basin walls and giving away extras.

In '16 we started another phase of upgrades by a different contractor including the miniature golf course, masonry block to replace the dirt basin walls, and landscape lighting. The irrigation was already in place along with conduit for lighting and irrigation valve control wires.

2 Likes