Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina) as food!

Means small fishes from the garden (vegetable garden).

2 Likes

I’m surprised they grow in Brazil. We have been growing them for quite some time in our garden but never ate them. Fried is in perspective. I cannot stand many fried foods. Things like egg rolls or wontons I can do but frying at home I simply cannot do.

It wasn’t greasy. I didn’t deep fry. Just a shallow layer of oil in a pan. They soaked up so little I did not need to add more oil as I went.

1 Like

This is a wonderful idea. I haven’t planted lambs ears here yet, but I will now, and I have friends who will like a way to use the ever spreading plants they have.

1 Like

I’ve got some coming up- I’m gonna make some garden fishes now. thanks for the idea

1 Like

I try to eat mostly raw and grow lots of different veggies, herbs, flowers and weeds so this really intrigues me. I’ll have to try some in my salads. Is it a wild native here in western Washington? I’m glad to have the genus, species. I just pulled something this week that could have been it.

2 Likes

It is not native to the United States. It’s actually a middle eastern plant, but widely grown outside its native range because it makes an attractive groundcover. People sometimes mix it up with unrelated plants so make sure you have the right one before eating. I was looking on iNaturalist at pictures people post of this species and saw at least four other species being misidentified as lamb’s ears. They’re actually easy to tell apart if you are familiar with lamb’s ears though.

It is not common to find lamb’s ears as a volunteer plant, so if you’re finding something fuzzy in your garden you didn’t plant I’d compare to mullein first, then rose champion and foxglove (foxglove isn’t nearly as fuzzy, but to the untrained eye…).

1 Like

You can also use the leaves to separate curds from whey and other solids from. Liquids

1 Like

And that would be a dangerous mistake! Foxglove seedlings do seem to start a little more fuzzy before they mature, but definitely not as fuzzy as lamb’s ear. I’ve been on a foxglove elimination mission in my yard since my toddler tried to put one of the flowers in her mouth last year, so I’ve developed an eye for them.

2 Likes

Foxglove leaves are in whorls too. Not in opposite pairs like lamb’s ears.

If you’re in an area with high heat and humidity that causes melt-out of perennials the cultivar ‘Helen von Stein’ succeeds where others fail. AKA -Big Ears.

2 Likes

Very, very cool! I’ve always fought those things, maybe I need to make peach and enjoy them! haha. When I saw the photo I was thinking “Cinnamon and sugar might be nice on them” and then you mentioned it!!! If you try that, let us know. I’ve got a terrible sweet tooth. Also never met anything fried I didn’t like.

2 Likes

That’s the one I’m growing.

1 Like

That should be satisfying to eat some aphids for a change. I always say, if something bother your garden too much and difficult to deal with, you have to start eating it. As soon as pest or weed comes in the list of edible, it becomes more and more difficult to find/grow/harvest. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s the only one I would use for customers in eastern KS, trouble free!

1 Like

Even here in Washington ‘Helen von Stein’ stays more tidy looking because of the reduced flowing tendency. It does go semi-deciduous in our winters, but bounces right back in spring.

2 Likes

Yes look yummy yummy!

1 Like

We bring lamb’s ears to farmers market and occasionally sell some.

Good to know there is something to do with it. A neighbor gave me a start of “Silver Queen” and now it’s everywhere. Hard to keep under control and when it gets big it isn’t very attractive.

I misspoke. It’s lamb’s quarters we bring to market.