Landscape ideas?

The area in the very back of my yard, behind my vegetable garden and Orchard, is basically a 100‘ x 50‘ expanse of useless grass that is nothing more than something I have to mow. I would rather replace the grass with other types of plants.

I’m looking for low to moderate maintenance at most. Shrubs, perennials, small trees, that won’t get too large to where they produce too much shade for the orchard and veggies in the future.

So basically I’m looking at things that stay probably under 20 to 25 feet tall, Max. Groundcovers are also good.

Zone 6b/7a, Maryland. Acidic (pH around 5.2) loam soil, well drained, moist bottomland location (does not flood). I can lime if need be.

There are three mature Acer rubrums on the south side of the area, so about half of it is part shade, maybe a couple hours of sun. Farther back is full sun. Within the next 5 to 10 years, I probably will have to take down the maples, they are not in a good location.

What are some good plants for this type of situation? I’m already thinking the following can probably work:

Eastern Redbud
Butterfly bush
Beauty berry
Bulbs (daffodils, tulips etc)
Azalea
Holly
Japanese and other small maples
Echinacea
Rudbeckia
Herbaceous hardy hibiscus

I do need plants that are at least mostly deer-resistant. The general idea is a mixed border. I much prefer that to a straight row of arborvitaes or lleyland cypress.

1 Like

Miniature golf course w/ imitation green.

More???

We always knew Richard had a wild and crazy side …

:-)M

1 Like

For your spot to landscape with plants…….
Add PAWPAW to your list.
And, HELLEBORUS as an evergreen perennial flower.
The deer will not likely browse either.

1 Like

It’s my 2¢ for @BG1977.

1 Like

I like rose of Sharon shrubs, they are easy to grow here can be kept very short or allowed to grow 15 feet tall, bloom for months. The blossoms are edible and humming birds like them also

3 Likes

With pH like that,Blueberries should do fine and yes,Azalea.Plants in the Ericaceae. bb

1 Like

No reason to bother with blueberries unless I barricade them like Fort Knox.

Between the @&$?#*%€£ deer and birds…

1 Like

Like the Hippocratic oath, do no harm is a good place to start. Check your local invasive list before planting Invasive Plants | University of Maryland Extension

Butterfly bush is invasive in many areas and is a host plant for no native species of butterfly. There are newer sterile cultivars but why not plant something that is more beneficial to our decreasing butterflies and bird species. https://nationalzoo.si.edu/news/new-smithsonian-study-links-declines-suburban-backyard-birds-presence-nonnative-plants?fbclid=IwAR1QzwHA9KaIOCDQOipdd0o5H35qi5ZJvPpj7sHzo830rfaf_kZmdGBeZBE

Some cool natives under twenty feet are fringe tree, buttonbush and serviceberry. These guys have a good list of natives at a reasonable price http://www.mailordernatives.com/ , forest farm on the west coast and nearly native nursery in Georgia have good selections too

2 Likes

Bryan, I’m prepping my front hill (15% grade) for a berm to divert a neighbor’s run-off which I have been advised to cover with vinca. Next spring I will be planting about 2,000 of those plants. They don’t take much maintenance, hold the soil, and are pretty hardy. We just need to water them enough to get them established.

1 Like