Larger than quarter size Blueberries from Costco

You can grow a lot of figs in ground in your zone with proper training and protection. This entails insulation (bags of leaves, etc +rodent control) and a low cordon /step over fig training method where you cut back to the main trunk each winter.

The above thread will help you. @ampersand made a wonderful spreadsheet around the fourth post from the top but I’ve been told some of the best in ground options are Improved Celeste, Florea, Trabia, Hardy Chicago, Salem Dark, and Reservoir.

1 Like

Figs I bought today at Trader Joe’s. $5.99/2lbs but actually 2 lbs 9 OZ. I think it’s a common black mission fig. It’s so sweet and tastes 10 times better than my own Chicago Hardy.

3 Likes

The local one here had green figs that were rather disappointing. Better than I had bought elsewhere in town before, but I wouldn’t try something that looks identical again.

I’m kind of sad the local Joe’s didn’t have the same kind that you got.

Yeah, they had the 1 lbs boxes of black figs and green figs, both looked unripe to me. I bought the green ones last year and they were not ripe and tasted bland.

The 2 lbs black ones were very good - sometimes they put the boxes on a separate station close to cheeses.

Ok, they got some in today. They are pretty good, so I can understand why you said what you did. I still prefer mine, but I also like my figs closer to overripe than these are.

A chart someone produced, claiming Peru is now the #2 Blueberry producer. We’ve certainly been able to purchase some very large ones this year and the taste has been excellent. Not sure if that’s where they came from or not…

4 Likes

Canada has focused more on honeyberries as they are more cold hardy and not as fussy about soil ph. they are starting to catch on in the northern tier states here.

1 Like