Largest / Best tasting pear

@mamuang most likely october or november in your zone. Very late similar to korean giant. This year is the first year for you but eventually you will see 1-2 pounders with no problems and maybe slightly larger.
@MikeC they do literally break limbs the pears are so big.

3 Likes

Than’s, Clark. I only hope it’s the correct graft :smile:

2 Likes

Duchess are heavy again with pears! The wood is brittle on Duchess and the pears very large. That combination can lead to branches breaking!

10 Likes

That thing is loaded. I had a good crop last year on my seedling Bartlett (the pears are very similar). This year it had almost nothing.

3 Likes

My Duchess pear looks nothing like your pears. I will post a photo of the one pear I have on that Duchess pear tree. Maybe since it is the first fruiting year. I am not sure. Mine is more roundish than pear shaped.

1 Like

@MikeC

If it"s still hanging on the tree it is likely Duchess.

1 Like

Once again Duchess are very heavy with pears! Every year they are consistently heavy producers! Eventually they get caught in a storm loaded down with pears and it breaks branches. Duchess has very soft wood. They are very resistant to disease! This pear is a winner if you want a late season pear so you can get some canning done.

3 Likes

Here’s the only one I had this year. It had some sort of fungus and one side rotted.

2 Likes

Here is what the other side looked like. Some sort of fungus.

3 Likes

@MikeC

That does look like a round pear doesnt it?

Yes, it looked round to me as well. That is why I took the photo. Plus the other side looked like some sort of disease/fungus. It was the first year it fruited and only one pear.
What do you think?

1 Like

@MikeC

I’m not sure what it is yet besides that its not Duchess D’ Angoulme. Can’t wait to find out. I wouldn’t worry about that fruit disease to much. Where did you get the tree and how big is it? Would love to know more. It may take us a year to find out the answers all of our questions. Looking at that branch i can already see next years fruit buds.

1 Like

I bought the tree from Trees of Antiquity. I planted it in 2018. It is about 10’ tall now.

1 Like

Hi,

I was unaware Bartlett could ripen on the tree. Is this the best way to ripen them and does ripening on the tree make a difference if it is a Bartlett or Red Bartlett? We have a Bartlett planted this summer.

Thanks

1 Like

@rubus_chief

All bartlett i know of can ripen on the tree and do taste very good that way but you will get heavier insect damage. Many are picked early rather than lose half a crop. Interesting thing people dont necessarily know who are growing pears is that bartlett has been used in many crosses. So harrow sweet as an example a child of bartlett can be ripened on the tree. Kieffer should not be ripened on the tree but is a bartlett cross. Mentioned it in this thread No Farmingdale in OH X F - #5 by clarkinks "We know Harrow sweet is a cross of Bartlett’ x Purdue 80-51. We can read info about that here Ashspublications.org . “Purdue 80-51 is a cross of Early Sweet X Old Home X Bartlett/Williams Selected in 1973; introduced 1982. “. Harrow delight was made by crossing Old Home x Early Sweet) x Bartlett and ripens on the tree. Bartlett seems to pass than on to many of the crosses made from it. The fact bartlett is used in breeding can make pollination tricky. Some pears grit increases when left longer on the tree and others like clapps favorite suffer from internal rot. AYRES pear (Anjou x Garber) cross can also ripen on the tree. Interesting thing when i bought ayers it was labeled red bartlett so when it ripened fine on the tree that should have confirmed it was so i thought but years later i realized i was the victim of mislabeling for about 20 years.

Hi
I have two pear trees. Every year the fruits turns yellow and no edible.
I have no idea what kind of pear is it and what to do
Can anyone advise?

2 Likes

Mishirasu, 980 grams (2,16 pounds). Should keep it hanging for at least a week or two (zone 5b). Very good quality Japanese pear that has a taste of a european pear. Very sweet and balanced. There is no info what so ever on what its parents are… Would be very grateful for any useful information.

9 Likes

Good Lord… You need a very strong tree to hold up a load of those!

3 Likes

That tree has about 10 varieties grafted on it. But Mishirasu seemed to hold well.

5 Likes

Enough for a get together:)

2 Likes